What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've been designing HX body ships for a Lindor 5 challenge. This is my 3rd one so far, assembled last night. Life support is involved so I want the ship to be spacious (to crew) and helpful, and able to take the interplanetary freeway. It turns out that Angel-125's Bison parts (Heisenberg/Airship mod) fit really nicely with HX because they have a box/cube profile.

screenshot63.png

I didn't do this last night but these box cabins (and greenhouse, lab, tank) are from Heisenberg. I plan to have the ship's crew land a habitat and stay in it for the majority of the mission.

screenshot55.png

SPACE PLANES ARE GO!

Using a modified SSTO-1A-Hera from KerbalX and now the crew rotation flights to KSS Gateway are becoming fun. Follow the orbit instructions from the KerbalX page and this is one of the easiest Spaceplanes to pilot to orbit.   

TsxMQ6v.png 

I had to replace the MK2 inline Clamp-O-Tron because that docking port is a little buggy for me .Doesn't always connect, navigation markers during docking are 90 degrees out of whack. More headache than it is worth. 
I replaced it with a cargo hold for inventory payloads  and other things the station might need. 

UI1Dj5d.png

New crew in, old crew flies the Hera Mk1 home in time for supper. Because as all Kerbals know, a meal is a terrible thing to waste.  

Ld2BtUF.png

Well im 100% done with the new AKS GSD-W01 "Spider" medium mech:

wY87y6q.png

Looks amazing imo, 100% stock and prolly one of the generally cooler things ive made in a while...

uXqyrCt.png

Finished all the minor tweaks, gave it 3 solid types of walks (1 generic fast on flat ground, 1 slow walk with at least 1 foot touching ground at any given time, and 1 for hills which it seemed to have alot of trouble with b4).  Also tweaked the standard run anim to get it up to almost 8m/s (from around 7), uses more electricity though so i needed to add 4 more RTGs to the already insane total of 24 RTGs previously.  Just bloody stupid (wish there was some sort of larger RTG or even a full blown nuclear reactor, but stock doesnt offer much else and robit parts eat so much juice it cant be done any other way if you dont want to run out of fuel instantly or be limited to daytime (AKS in universe doesnt use anything but near infinite energy reactors like zero point or whatnot and the closest thing in KSP is the RTG).

Bgqx845.png

Redid the arms as well, not that i didnt like the older model's arms, but i felt it made more sense to be symmetric (left arm has extended fingers, right arm is set to firing more with retracted fingers).  Now it feels like a proper serially manufactured robit and not something whacked together from whatever was available (only pirates would do stuff like that in universe).

cc0uDuh.png

Another shot of the arms, this time showing the right side too.

0RS0Uo0.png

Parallax (and the usual Scatterer +ScifiVE) actually makes kerbin look really good now...

wnrp1WR.png

Looks properly menacing at night through the bushes with just the head and arm cannon lights on...

Edited by panzer1b

One of 2 Rad Relay satellite going into polar orbit. The RR satellite measures radiation levels of the radiation belt around Kerbin on its way to the planned relay orbit.

8ClGa8P.png

Aroura time!

W6Jon7c.png

Val goes up for the orbital experience.

tqXhdew.png

And it is a good day to be in space.

xtpx1q9.png

And a better day to come home.

m2gA0oa.png

Started with "just another servo based something" and ended with VTOL, which is maybe the easiest mauverable thing, I've ever built using propellers.

2746gou.png

Spoiler

6 stage gearbox driven by 2xKAL-1000. From hover mode, through 60, 100, 150 and 200 m/s to its top speed of 230 m/s in horizontal flight mode.
AG2 - gear down,  AG3 - gear up. Gearbox state is indicated by aviation lights mounted on right wing.

Motors are set to 22% output, so it can be fed by 4 RTGs and fly for years and years.

P76V5Gu.png
Easy takeoffs and landings.

Vf1FT7z.png
Definitely not then fastest beast, but 230 m/s is sustainable speed under 10 km altitude.

efu1tHN.png
It can splash down.

wHclKyd.png
It can take off from water.

dcbGjuA.png
It can inspect structures.

Ui1xilU.png
It can fly under bridges.

12hUvgE.png
It can do pinpoint landings.

NOYhCMM.pngoSGxrvP.png
Nothing unusual, because it does yoga.

Rebuilt the propeller variant with a different styled engine. Flies a lot better now, the original design was designed around the off-centered CoT from the Goliath engines after all.

Stacking ducted props is a pretty neat idea.

NXU1292.png
bcfRJDQ.png

Now to consider doing the same to the larger airliner...

Edited by Mignear

Today I wrapped up another mission to bring more kerbals home for retirement.

Coming in to Duna:
image.png

Picking up some scientists from the first base there in this save:
image.png

Grabbing some fuel and more kerbals from the Rusty Spacedock before heading home:
image.png

Nine kerbals delivered back to the KSC:
image.png

First attempt to put a materials sat into orbit and recover the experiments.

Engine failure on the satellite. Failed to make orbit.

MVVHSCz.png

On the second attempt. One of the booster engines failed seconds after liftoff.

XrFwEgt.png

Third times a charm?

kTjkf7c.png

Got the Science

O26mEkq.png

We successfully de-orbit and separate the science return module for return. And promptly burned up during re-entry shortly thereafter.

rFRpOlv.png

Going back to all of the drawing boards.