What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Last night I went and launched twelve communications satellites into KEO orbit in one launch for use with Remote Tech, I was pretty proud of that.

Today I went to play KSP and found that, thanks for SQUAD's poor release planning, my game had been automatically updated on Steam to 1.1 without 70% of my mods having been updated since the modders who create them don't own the game on Steam. Thanks for that SQUAD, now I can't play. :|

my game had been automatically updated on Steam to 1.1 without 70% of my mods having been updated

@Fallarnon -- Yeah, Steam does that. You can disable automatic updates, otherwise it installs them when available. You can have it roll back to the previous stable version if you want.

Finished the building of my second Minmus Space Station.

After starting a Minmus mining operation, I decided to build a new Minmus space station, using parts who were not available when I built the first one. This station will also serve as an orbital fuel depot.

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

@Fallarnon -- Yeah, Steam does that. You can disable automatic updates, otherwise it installs them when available. You can have it roll back to the previous stable version if you want.

I had the same thing happen to me. I tried what you describe, but nothing changed. How can I roll back to 1.0.5 on Steam?

Edited by OzEtkin

Just now, OzEtkin said:

I had the same thing happen to me. I tried what you describe, but nothing changed. How can I roll back to 1.0.5 on Steam?

Right click on Kerbal Space Program in your games list, go to Properties, then over to the "Betas" tab, and in the drop-down there should be a "Previous" option.

54 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Right click on Kerbal Space Program in your games list, go to Properties, then over to the "Betas" tab, and in the drop-down there should be a "Previous" option.

I did exactly that, but it is still loading 1.1 when I run the game.

After the dismal failure of Phase I of my plan to rescue Valentina from Eve, I've moved on to:

Phase 1/2.

First, I need a craft to rescue her from the middle of the Explodium sea and bring her to a place where a return ship can land. First try didn't go so well, so started over with a move standard design. Getting it to space, however...

HplpRwJ.png

Spoiler

But surprisingly, re-entry went well with that nice big inflatable heat shield, all the sensitive bits stayed nicely tucked behind it.

wFCUVUW.png

Parachute deployment, and heat shield separation is a success!

1QjeXBI.png

Cut the chute, and a moment later we're in stable, powered flight!

OeGc2Sn.png

This is, er, a minor setback. Just a test after all. Quit clowning around, Wenree.

R8R8GaD.png

And also, this:

SOlpgN1.png

Not taking chances this time, no! I'm sending TWO ridiculously overcomplicated craft to Eve! Before I send the BIG ridiculously overcomplicated craft to Eve!

g1NHPq5.png

Wait that should be going the other way..

Anyways, getting THIS into space... and then back out of space... this will be interesting...

SZGVh9L.png

That heatshield continues to impress me. This 28 ton mess was surprisingly stable the whole way...

PwlCCq1.png

Chutes out...

o9Kr61x.png

And successful heatshield separation!

yTHl125.png

And then this...

7ObU5NZ.png

And also this...

eBNs3Wi.png

Testing of delivery methods successful!

Now, to build one big a** rocket...

3 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Yeah it does, and usually it's a really nice feature, the exception of course being in situations when a developer releases a major update that was previously released for testing that they restricted access to preventing mod authors from updating and had lots of major bugs leading nobody to expect it to go full release this soon. Prior planning prevents poor performance. :(

5 hours ago, Fallarnon said:

Last night I went and launched twelve communications satellites into KEO orbit in one launch for use with Remote Tech, I was pretty proud of that.

Today I went to play KSP and found that, thanks for SQUAD's poor release planning, my game had been automatically updated on Steam to 1.1 without 70% of my mods having been updated since the modders who create them don't own the game on Steam. Thanks for that SQUAD, now I can't play. :|

2 hours ago, OzEtkin said:

You know if you just copy and paste the whole game file and name it something else...hmmmm KSP 1.0.5 or RSS 1.0.5 or anything. Steam will only update the game file linked to it. I have .25, 1.04, 1.05, and 1.1 Beta. You can literally save the game anywhere on your pc. It's not Squad's fault or the modder's. If you just bought the game I guess this is your first update and you will learn to backup your game. :cool:

Edited by hellblazer

4 minutes ago, hellblazer said:

You know if you just copy and paste the whole game file and name it something else...hmmmm KSP 1.0.5 or RSS 1.0.5 or anything. Steam will only update the game file linked to it. I have .25, 1.04, 1.05, and 1.1 Beta. You can literally save the game anywhere on your pc. It's not Squads fault or the modders. If you just bought the game I guess this is your first update you had to deal with. You learn to backup your game.

You know if you just copy and paste the whole game file and name it something else...hmmmm KSP 1.0.5 or RSS 1.0.5 or anything. Steam will only update the game file linked to it. I have .25, 1.04, 1.05, and 1.1 Beta. You can literally save the game anywhere on your pc. It's not Squad's fault or the modder's. If you just bought the game I guess this is your first update you will learn to backup your game.

Just because Squad has a history of doing it doesn't make it okay. The fact that you have all of those copies of the game is far from something that should be required or considered acceptable and, since they just dropped this update on us, buggy as usual, I had no warning that such a measure should be necessary. I don't know what Squad's claimed rationale for not having the test build available to everybody is but I know one thing for sure, they could easily give every single person who buys the game on here a Steam key if they wanted to be bothered to. Why they don't is a question for them but it's certainly not outside of the powers afforded them by Valve.

2 minutes ago, Fallarnon said:

Just because Squad has a history of doing it doesn't make it okay. The fact that you have all of those copies of the game is far from something that should be required or considered acceptable and, since they just dropped this update on us, buggy as usual, I had no warning that such a measure should be necessary. I don't know what Squad's claimed rationale for not having the test build available to everybody is but I know one thing for sure, they could easily give every single person who buys the game on here a Steam key if they wanted to be bothered to. Why they don't is a question for them but it's certainly not outside of the powers afforded them by Valve.

Squad's history? They're only responsible for the base game. If you add mods to the base game its only your fault. Doesn't matter what game you have. Updates and mods don't go together.

Just now, hellblazer said:

Squad's history? They're only responsible for the base game. If you add mods to the base game its only your fault. Doesn't matter what game you have. Updates and mods don't go together.

Squad's base game, as you term it, owes much of its success to said mods, as they well know which is why they keep implementing many of the popular mods and do features on various mods on their homepage. I have no issues with Squad updating the game, the issue is with how they go about doing so and other decisions they make regarding access to the test copies of said updates. There's really no reasonable way to justify the fact that it's available to some but not all of the people who play the game. If they want to blame it on bandwidth costs, that's fine, provide everyone who buys on their site a Steam key. What about the people who bought it on GoG you say? GoG has infrastructure in place for distributing serial keys, how about... giving out a Steam key? With one simple and supported method, Squad could take care of the single biggest obstruction to updating mods in on fell swoop.

With that said, I'm going to disengage here. This thread is not about the topic and while the mods have been accommodating allowing us to go back and forth a bit I don't wish to test their patience. If you'd like to continue to tell me all about how Squad couldn't and shouldn't do anything to improve the status quo feel free to PM me.

21 minutes ago, DonaldPK51 said:

Got auto-updated to 1.1 on Steam today, so did a little testing. Results? Need some work! General performance is a bit better on this Core2Duo Mac, my LKO station seems fine, but my two bases and a landing strut test have problems

v3gO6vW.png

LOL, reminds of the end of Hot Shots!.

5 hours ago, OzEtkin said:

Probably, the problem is, if you load the previous version the data for the 64bit version is not automatically deleted. Because 64bit is default now, you start still the newer version. I tried to start KSP directly from the game folder (after donwgrading to the previous version) and then the start screen says 1.05xx. Anyway, i dont know if the game works without major bugs.

I tried some different ascent vehicle configurations for my Constellation / von Braun mission, but did not find any satisfying solutions (i want its profile to fit within a 3.75m radius without the need to extend fairings outwards). And i was so into the task, that i missed the release of 1.1 X.x

Cant wait to download this evening. Hopefully, my craft will import and work as intended. If not... Well its fun to rebuild too :)

Edited by Frank_G

I figured this was okay to post here given that it's related to playing KSP, if not, I guess a mod can move it to fan works and create its own topic for it.

So, since I couldn't play KSP the way I want to since most of my mods are still not updated, I'm getting a lot more ambitious these days with KSP and have decided that I want to start making flags and mission insignia and the like for my missions. I'm proficient in all of the various Adobe Creative Suite bits and bobs so I whipped together some designs in Illustrator, I'm drawing heavily upon NASA for my inspiration, which will be obvious when you look at what I've made. I've named the agency the Kerbin Aeronautics and Space Administration after NASA, which is totally cliche but, really, I couldn't think of a more befitting name for the sole planetary space agency so there we are.

First and foremost, I went and made the KASA version of the NASA Seal. I'm not really sure where it might get put to use but it was something to do and seemed like something that a proper space agency would have.

CPmOaMq.png

Notably the Mun and Minimus can be seen in the background of the seal with the iconic KSP rocket headed out of frame evoking feelings of expansion and exploration. The motto "E Kerbin ad astra per calamitatis" is roughly translated from Latin as "From Kerbin to the stars through calamity"  which I thought was especially fitting considering the propensity for disaster that seems to come naturally to any Kerbal-involved endeavor.

Seal done, the next logical step was the KASA logo. I originally went for a much closer reproduction of the classic NASA meatball but the text just wasn't working for me so I went for a hybrid design pairing a meatball-esque design with a replica of the NASA Worm logo of the 1970s-90s. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, here it is on a flag:

rw9sVMj.png

If anybody wants to use these logos for personal use feel free, I have uploaded high resolution versions of each to my DeviantArt page:

Seal

Logo

Flag

Seal - Mission Control

If you want to use the logos in another project please contact me first to be sure I'm on board but generally speaking I'm easy going, all systems should be go and the launch window should be nominal, just ask!

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

After the dismal failure of Phase I of my plan to rescue Valentina from Eve, I've moved on to:

Phase 1/2.

First, I need a craft to rescue her from the middle of the Explodium sea and bring her to a place where a return ship can land. First try didn't go so well, so started over with a move standard design. Getting it to space, however...

HplpRwJ.png

Reveal hidden contents

But surprisingly, re-entry went well with that nice big inflatable heat shield, all the sensitive bits stayed nicely tucked behind it.

wFCUVUW.png

Parachute deployment, and heat shield separation is a success!

1QjeXBI.png

Cut the chute, and a moment later we're in stable, powered flight!

OeGc2Sn.png

This is, er, a minor setback. Just a test after all. Quit clowning around, Wenree.

R8R8GaD.png

And also, this:

SOlpgN1.png

Not taking chances this time, no! I'm sending TWO ridiculously overcomplicated craft to Eve! Before I send the BIG ridiculously overcomplicated craft to Eve!

g1NHPq5.png

Wait that should be going the other way..

Anyways, getting THIS into space... and then back out of space... this will be interesting...

SZGVh9L.png

That heatshield continues to impress me. This 28 ton mess was surprisingly stable the whole way...

PwlCCq1.png

Chutes out...

o9Kr61x.png

And successful heatshield separation!

yTHl125.png

And then this...

7ObU5NZ.png

And also this...

eBNs3Wi.png

Testing of delivery methods successful!

Now, to build one big a** rocket...

Erm, I thought air breathing engines did not work on Eve......