Docking problems

once you start getting the hang of rendezvous and docking it may seem a more.. organic process, but initially a good practice is to adjust your orbit such that your lowest point (periapsis) is of the same altitude as your target. Then, set a maneuver node at that same point, and as you adjust you will see the point of intersection move. Continue to adjust until they are at their closest.

Well, bad news. I tried burning towards it multiple times, but I got very low on fuel, so I decided not to risk the chance. I de-orbited the Griffin, and the crew of it is currently safe on Kerbin. I'm now working on an Agena-like probe to put in LKO, so I can test docking with the Griffin.

Easiest way to dock is to have an orbit that's higher in altitude if the station is behind you, or lower in altitude if it's in front of you. Only by a few thousand meters. Warp and catch up to it, Once you're fairly close, then you can extend your orbit to intersect your target's orbit, a difference of only a few m/s in velocity, and then circularize it to match your target's orbit. You should be close enough to see it. Make sure it's selected as your target, and you click the speed above your artificial horizon guage to bring up your target's speed difference. You want to point your aircraft at one of the target's markers, and slowly burn towards it until the speed reaches 0. This is your relative velocity, and now your speed matches your target's. Now you can point at your target itself and burn towards it. You should see your Meatball (The circle with the 3 lines coming off the edges) line up with the circle that is your target. From this point on, use your RCS to control your craft. Happy docking

Easiest way to dock is to have an orbit that's higher in altitude if the station is behind you, or lower in altitude if it's in front of you. Only by a few thousand meters. Warp and catch up to it, Once you're fairly close, then you can extend your orbit to intersect your target's orbit, a difference of only a few m/s in velocity, and then circularize it to match your target's orbit. You should be close enough to see it. Make sure it's selected as your target, and you click the speed above your artificial horizon guage to bring up your target's speed difference. You want to point your aircraft at one of the target's markers, and slowly burn towards it until the speed reaches 0. This is your relative velocity, and now your speed matches your target's. Now you can point at your target itself and burn towards it. You should see your Meatball (The circle with the 3 lines coming off the edges) line up with the circle that is your target. From this point on, use your RCS to control your craft. Happy docking

I started timewarping to see how close I could get to the Orion. I actually tried entering the same orbit as the Orion, but I kept getting farther away from it. Eventually, due to having not too much fuel, I de-orbited the Griffin, so the crew won't be stuck in orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.