TT's Mod Releases - Development suspended till further notice

TouhouTorpedo

You misunderstand me, the problem isn't who the new hosting site is.

It's that Squad would happily nuke the current official repository, and every mod on it, regardless of what may be lost forever, simply because it'll save them money and effort.

If they would happily do the above, and then ship off to some third party that costs nothing, What makes anyone think they will not eventually shut down this forum permanently and erase all content here, and redirect everyone to the KSP reddit?

I am not intending to look for any replacement host whatsoever. If Squad wants to nuke my mods, so be it on them.

Ah, I see. I have to admit that if that ever did come to pass, I'd probably throw in the towel at that point as well. I mean, there's an incredibly huge wealth of knowledge, stories and shared experiences here. If they wiped it out entirely, I'd almost bet there'd be a general revolt and they'd lose more than three quarters of their fan base. All of these players getting as much from sharing their experience as playing the game itself. Nobody would want to have invested this much time in contributing to the community, only to see it all completely wiped out and lost forever. A forum crash setting everything back a month or two is one thing; going back to... nothing?

Well, I'd be thinking "what's the point?" to myself after that, too.

You know you could upload instead to another site, and/or the community mod repository (there's like six projects now in progress; people hate Curse enough that that's actually moving along now).

I mean, I get you're pissed at Squad, but the question you have to ask yourself is "do I want people to use my mods," and if the answer's yes, you should find a way to make that happen. Sure, find a way that doesn't make Squad feel good about Curse, but...what is your goal in modding, after all?

I tried installing the mod the old way I.E merging parts with parts (TT whee-

I know! This isn't compatible with career mode. Will adding a sciencetechrequired (or whatever its called) make it work?

I did this.

Just add

TechRequired = start

to every part. They will all be in the starting tech, but you have to still click on each part to research them individually (no science cost).

I've created a ModuleManager config that adds the parts to what I think is the most fitting research node.

http://pastie.org/9161300

I would HIGHLY recommend you consider switching the hosting site rather than simply letting it die. The other mod I find comparable to yours (Mk3 and Mk4 fuselages in particular) are the B9, and they are rather bloated, to say the least.

In other news, shynung is now frantically downloading every useful Spaceport mods he could find.

I would HIGHLY recommend you consider switching the hosting site rather than simply letting it die. The other mod I find comparable to yours (Mk3 and Mk4 fuselages in particular) are the B9, and they are rather bloated, to say the least.

In other news, shynung is now frantically downloading every useful Spaceport mods he could find.

Heh, I'm currently endeavoring to download every Spaceport mod... full stop. >_>

There's alot of other places to have your files, I've heard that Majiir is willing to host uploads, you can also use dropbox or another file sharing service.

Completely missing the point. My problem isn't with Curse, it's with Squad willingly erasing things the Community have done for them. That's why I'm refusing to re-upload at this time.

Completely missing the point. My problem isn't with Curse, it's with Squad willingly erasing things the Community have done for them. That's why I'm refusing to re-upload at this time.

If you won't upload existing versions of your mods, will you upload any new/updated mods (e.g. Mk4 using PART {...}) or are you effectively leaving the KSP mod scene? If the latter is the case, would you consider handing over your work to others to maintain and build upon?

Well, to be fair, and from what I'm seeing with this little project, there's no way on Jeb's green head that Squad could realistically convert the content over to another host. Also, the way Spaceport is now, you really don't want it to keep running. Seriously, it's Wordpress, and it's not up to date. There are a few critical security practices they are not following for WP, and they're running a version that is well-known to be vulnerable to wide ranging (and still ongoing) brute force attacks. To fix the issues, Squad would need to put a lot of time and effort into hardening the whole system, not to mention change platforms entirely to get away from the server crashes. From a business standpoint, it's just not worth trying to keep it going.

I actually appreciate the fact that Squad is making big noise about the change, because it gives modders the time and opportunity to do what they feel is necessary to protect their projects.

So essentially, either we acknowledge Squad is trying to correct a mistake that has been allowed to run for too long, and take it upon ourselves to save and move the content we want to keep, or some script kiddie/bot is going to eventually remove the option altogether anyway.

If nothing else, I'm hoping my efforts currently underway will be of use to somebody. Of course I can't expect to have access to the core database, so it's all static, but it does include the downloadable archives so far.

Heh, at least this will help correct the madness that came from all the mouth-breathers submitting a stock capsule sitting on a wing as a "mod" or "part".

If you won't upload existing versions of your mods, will you upload any new/updated mods (e.g. Mk4 using PART {...}) or are you effectively leaving the KSP mod scene? If the latter is the case, would you consider handing over your work to others to maintain and build upon?

No to all of the above, because this would invalidate the action I am taking by continuing to provide Squad with content.

No to all of the above, because this would invalidate the action I am taking by continuing to provide Squad with content.

And here I was thinking that modders provide content primarily to fellow gamers, not Squad.

Now, I understand and respect your stance, but the extension of it is that you effectively leave the KSP mod scene as we both know that it doesn't make economical sense for Squad to keep Spaceport around, nor migrate all its content (of which the vast majority is utter crap). As Majir mentioned before, churn is a good thing as it separates the actively maintained mods from the orphaned ones. I'm just sad to see that you no longer have the will or desire to be part of the KSP mod scene under the new circumstances.

Cheers and thank you for your contributions. I've had great fun using the Mk3 expansion pack!

And here I was thinking that modders provide content primarily to fellow gamers, not Squad.

I'm trying to think of a world in which KSP never had mods. Would any of us be here if that were the case?

I'm trying to think of a world in which KSP never had mods. Would any of us be here if that were the case?

I'm fairly sure that's a certainty. I got in on the game well before the modding scene really got going, and was even playing for months before I even considered checking any mods out. During that time I was easily as active in these forums as now.

I am sorry to hear that you are leaving and taking your mods with you. But you know who you are going to hurt more? Players like myself that use your mods because Squad screwed up with there making of them. I HATE the MK3 version that is stock the gaps, the misplaced OFF-CENTERED nodes.

Edited by Damaske
fixed it ( i hope)

Well, I realise that it'll hurt the players. It's unfortunate. If only enough modders would be taking up the same point of view, Squad might end up in a position to rethink their approach. I do however realise this is unlikely to occur from the reactions I've seen so far.

Its hard to believe the road we've been down here:

uploading anywhere

community modsite

community modsite falls over due to security problems

squad makes a hub for users to upload to

squad has a massive forum failure and loses more than 6 months of community activity

squad removes hub in favor of a third party site

community looks again to making their own modsite

not to mention on a tangential but related note : Squad's habbit of doing before getting any feedback on the impact of a decision at all, then continuing to ignore the backlash. The only exception so far was the DLC debacle and only because it was a legal quagmire they threw themselves into.

this is a massive step backwards for KSP here with the dev's handing off the community to third parties, putting us back in the situation we were in before with the alternatives, and at the same time killing off past activity again with spaceports shutdown.

Honestly, it hurts me as well. I do want to keep modding, I've got updates for a few mods but I just can't bring myself to keep supporting these bad practices. I wish other modders would do the same so we actually have a chance of changing squad for the better for everyone.

My priorities are with seeing Squad change for the better. They have repeatedly shown to not react to negative feedback so I'm using the only method I have.

The fact that SQUAD is a small company, and that they need to save money for their company, does not mean that you should act like this. They will probably not change, as for they already have the money you used to buy the game. Of course, they do care about their community, but that does not mean that they will bend to the communities every will.

Also, the fact that you can't just upload to Mediafire, or Dropbox to save your content is your decision, and your mods will be missed by lots. Again, you shouldn't do this because of a company decision that will probably help them. But it is your decision, and I respect it.

My priorities are with seeing Squad change for the better. They have repeatedly shown to not react to negative feedback so I'm using the only method I have.

By pulling the plug on your mod, depriving players of a good addition to a great game?

I don't really understand the logic behind your actions here. Could you enlighten me further on the subject of how replacing a barely-functioning mod hub site being replaced by a third party site, while giving a 30-day grace period to move all the stuff in there a bad idea? Or is it about Curse in particular, seeing what reputation they have?

In any event, I have stashed all your current mods downloaded in May 10 in a Mediafire account. I have no intention to release the link for the moment, but I'm probably going to tinker around with it. The outdated node for the Mk3 and Mk4 fuselages won't repair themselves.

Edited by shynung

So, so. TouhouTorpedo has decided he wants out and we need to respect that. He doesn't owe us anything.

Instead of bashing him for his convictions, no matter if some of us see them as based on skewed logic, we should thank him for his past contributions, move on, and be wary of depending on mods that aren't open source from the start or handed over to a new maintainer when the original creator gets fed up.

The lesson learned here is to be cautious of anyone, company and mod maker alike, that are willing to erase a piece of the community history. The joke's on us for not making sure that what we use will be around in the future. Open sourced material is the best way to do so as it frees the content from the whims of companies and individuals.

I don't really understand the logic behind your actions here. Could you enlighten me further on the subject of how replacing a barely-functioning mod hub site being replaced by a third party site, while giving a 30-day grace period to move all the stuff in there a bad idea? Or is it about Curse in particular, seeing what reputation they have?

Is not about curse (not only at least) but about Squad always ignoring the community for everything but marketing the game, in particular for modders (lol we make a iirc group to ask modders about opinions but then ignore them most of the time)

in particular this Majiir post explains the situation better

Thats for one part, for other is than TT has been in KSP for years and he (as others) have see the lost of data/content first of old mods and then the forums, so he is not happy watching Squad lost more data INTENTIONALLY this time, not to mention by some experiences Squad isn't trustworthy about promises (which related to curse, it can affect this forums)

TT is only trying to do/doing what he percives as the only way to get Squad to listen, since by Majiir post, Squad hears, but doesn't listen

Is not about curse (not only at least) but about Squad always ignoring the community for everything but marketing the game, in particular for modders (lol we make a iirc group to ask modders about opinions but then ignore them most of the time)

in particular this Majiir post explains the situation better

Thats for one part, for other is than TT has been in KSP for years and he (as others) have see the lost of data/content first of old mods and then the forums, so he is not happy watching Squad lost more data INTENTIONALLY this time, not to mention by some experiences Squad isn't trustworthy about promises (which related to curse, it can affect this forums)

TT is only trying to do/doing what he percives as the only way to get Squad to listen, since by Majiir post, Squad hears, but doesn't listen

....Aaand I have a feeling that Squad isn't going to listen any further, seeing their records so far. The Curse plan is already set in stone, and I believe so is TT's.

Squad makes a great game, but doesn't manage it well. I'm likening their situation to a player getting himself to orbit by a barely-working rocket; it flies well enough, but can't do anything else. They should really set their ears up for their own people, lest their own game get bought by some other developer with more community support.

I still think TT's decision to pull the plug is a foolish one, seeing that some people still enjoy it (I heard one user complaining that their favorite stockalike mods is about to disappear, this along with KSPX). He's making the situation worse, especially for the end-users.

Looks like I'm stuck with whatever things that are still in store now, seeing that the original developer just quitted and I have no modding skills. Though, I'm sure I could find (or make, or request) a worthy alternative to this, short of B9 (too many parts, computer cannot take the strain).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.