Attaching Objects with a Green Orb Connector to anything?

Hello,

I have seen lots of designs that attach objects that require a Green Orb connection to anything - see this video -

Description says no mods and all stock parts, he has attached the air intakes and also the ion engines directly onto the girder structure (which has no orb connections except on either end).

Can you explain how to do this? I am limited by my inability to place these objects whereever I want. This person has done it too - the front of his wings are covered in RAM intakes which require a green orb, but there are no other objects there for them to lock to.

The "green orb connectors" are usually called connection nodes or just nodes. It appears they are using the small cubic strut. The cubic strut is tiny, can surface attach just about anywhere, and provides a node to attach other parts to. To replicate those structures, you might need to rotate the cubic strut using Shift+QEWSAD

You can also use the BZ-52 Radial Attachment Ponit, which is designed for this purpose. In most cases the cubic strut is superior (because it is a non-physics part and is massless in the actual simulation) but the BZ-52 often looks better, in my opinion, and it doesn't cause problems when it is used with docking ports (and the cubic strut definitely does.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.