Keosynchronous Orbit

Ticondrius

I spent awhile trying to figure out what exact orbit is precisely at keosynchronous orbit.

It is almost EXACTLY at 2,868,750.0055 meters. My surface speed at this point is a mere 300-400 micro-meters/sec. It would take centuries to have any perceptible shift from the point over which you park in that orbit.

Good luck!

It's about 2 meters different :sticktongue:

Really?

He said "2,868,750.0055 meters"

Wiki says "2,868.75 km"

Let's convert the wiki one to meters... "2,868,750 meters"

Add a few decimals to match this guys number... "2,868,750.0000 meters"

That looks only 0.0055 meters difference to me... :D

I knew about the wiki. :) However, it still leaves you with about 0.2m/sec surface speed. Doing the extra work to add on the 0.0055 precision reduces the surface speed to almost nil, and shows up at 0.0m/sec surface speed. Mostly for perfectionists. :P

It isn't so bad with an ion engine, just finished setting up a new network with the new number. Worked like a charm. Clicked on my universal time machine(probe in solar orbit) and waited fifty years. No noticeable drift.

Unity uses single precision numbers (32 bit). I'm not even sure you would get 4 decimal places on a number that size.

But Squad rewrote some of that to use double precision numbers.

5.5mm Wow... Now that's what you call OCD in KSP.

It isn't so bad with an ion engine, just finished setting up a new network with the new number. Worked like a charm. Clicked on my universal time machine(probe in solar orbit) and waited fifty years. No noticeable drift.

That's only due to being on-rails when you test that. You could run it to the heat death of the universe and it would still be in synch (although the aliens would have invaded by then). :cool:

Edited by NeoMorph

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.