KSP 0.20 vis a vis breaking 0.19 .craft files

segaprophet

Does anyone have an idea as to how much 0.20 will break 0.19 .craft files, if at all?

There have been KSP updates in the past that didn't touch .craft file compatibility at all, such as 0.16 to 0.17 etc.

Squad is not updating the resource system in 0.20, according to the dev blog - does anyone else see any show-stoppers for 0.19 .craft files in 0.20?

The new feature of the root part not needing to be a command module may mean that there will need to be additional information in the craft file to indicate what the primary command pod is, so .20 may indeed break craft file compatibility

I'm starting fresh anyway to make use of GTTC (Good Things To Come)

I always do. I've had like 5 "first" Mun landings.

EDIT: If they're attempting not to break saves, I think once the first major performance increased game comes out, which will be .20, I'm going to put up a station in HKO and build on one module every update, hopefully, the performance updates keep up with the very slowly increasing size and the save chain won't be broken.

Edited by M5000

When in doubt, assume something might get broken with each update. Always remember the game is still in development and each update is one more step to improving said game to when it becomes a Release version. However, not every update will be so drastic, but it will be good to save a backup of your previous version before downloading the newest to protect any projects you want to finish.

I always make sure I keep the old KSP zip file around whenever an update happens just in case. Although I always hold my expectations that updates will break saves and craft files, because that way if it does break them I can't be disappointed, and if it doesn't it's a pleasant surprise! :)

Harvester says that so far, nothing will break saves; they are also trying to avoid that, to an extent.

I guess the game has got sufficiently rich now that people are able to build very large space networks, and have probably got quite attached to them. Having the ability to carry across a save file has probably become a significant priority for many people.

I'm starting fresh anyway to make use of GTTC (Good Things To Come)

I'm doing the same. In fact, I've gone as far as to bring home all my current manned missions in anticipation of starting fresh.

I've done all my testing here on saves I had from 0.19, and it's been working ok.

We haven't raised the last compatible version cap, which means the game won't complain about incompatibility on saves from 0.19 and will let you load them.

That's not saying they will work perfectly though, especially if you have too many mods. We never guarantee compatibility with plugin mods, because that would make our work impossible.

I always recommend starting a new save with a new version, and also starting fresh with mods, to be on the safe side.

Fully stock saves and crafts from 0.19 should load ok, at least as far as I can see.

Cheers

Indeed, I still have Bill, Jebediah, and Bob hanging out around KSC. .19.1 has been the only version in the history of KSP where I have preserved their lives so long. Alas, it will all be for naught as I start fresh with each upgrade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.