SSTO Dart, Arrow, Javelin, X-Wing and Carrier Frigate

Announcing the new series of SSTO craft, each capable of operating autonomously while the pilot is on EVA or transferred to another vessel.

The Dart:

A short-range single-seater roundabout, offering the maximum of flight stability, maneuverability and speed for rapid deployment.

2013_05_17_00009.jpg 2013_05_17_00010.jpg 2013_05_18_00022.jpg 2013_05_18_00023.jpg 2013_05_18_00024.jpg

.craft: http://herpnderp.info/Dart%20SSTO%20II.craft

The Arrow:

A two-seater reconnaissance fighter capable of high atmospheric speed and medium-range exoatmospheric flight.

2013_05_17_00007.jpg 2013_05_18_00018.jpg 2013_05_18_00019.jpg 2013_05_18_00020.jpg 2013_05_18_00021.jpg

.craft: http://herpnderp.info/Arrow%20SSTO%20II.craft

The Javelin:

A long-range interplanetary patrol boat, clumsy in the atmosphere but swift and agile in space.

2013_05_18_00012.jpg 2013_05_18_00014.jpg 2013_05_18_00015.jpg 2013_05_18_00016.jpg 2013_05_18_00017.jpg

.craft: http://herpnderp.info/Javelin%20SSTO%20II.craft

The old series shall remain operational, and is for the first time available to the public:

The X-Wing:

Highly maneuverable and unstable without advanced fly-by-wire systems, this medium-range fighter sacrifices efficiency for power and speed.

2013_05_18_00025.jpg 2013_05_18_00026.jpg 2013_05_18_00027.jpg 2013_05_18_00028.jpg

.craft: http://herpnderp.info/X-Wing%20SSTO.craft

Prototype X:

The first of its kind, a massive interplanetary carrier frigate capable of carrying up to 4 X-Wing fighters to deploy across the system. It comes fully equipped with 6 orbital kill vehicles (for fighting the space kraken), 6 communications satellites, 4 deep space ion probes, 2 skycrane deployable rovers, 3 escape pods, and a jettisonable crew module (in case the orbital kill vehicles fail)

2013_05_18_00004.jpg 2013_05_18_00005.jpg 2013_05_18_00006.jpg 2013_05_18_00007.jpg 2013_05_18_00008.jpg 2013_05_18_00009.jpg 2013_05_18_00010.jpg 2013_05_18_00011.jpg

.craft: http://herpnderp.info/Prototype%20X.craft

• 1 month later...

Hey, I really love these designs. I am having a little trouble flying them though. I can't get any of the sstos into orbit woth enough fuel left over to actually do anything. Can i get some advice of flight profile or ascent angle.

Also when trying to load the Prototype x in the vab I get this:

Craft loading error

craft prototype x booster III nomj

was not loaded because

it had the following parts missing:

protractor.plain

Is there a plugin I am missing? Or wrong version(20.2)

Hey, I really love these designs. I am having a little trouble flying them though. I can't get any of the sstos into orbit woth enough fuel left over to actually do anything. Can i get some advice of flight profile or ascent angle.

Also when trying to load the Prototype x in the vab I get this:

Craft loading error

craft prototype x booster III nomj

was not loaded because

it had the following parts missing:

protractor.plain

Is there a plugin I am missing? Or wrong version(20.2)

Hi, the SSTOs won't have a lot of fuel when they reach orbit. They're intended to be refueled before being used for more than a quick rendezvous or two in LKO. The idea behind them is that their small size allows you to do more with less fuel. so you can refuel many times from one refueling tanker for multiple missions.

I might have forgotten to remove the protractor part from the craft before uploading. I'll do that when I get a chance and re-upload. In the meantime if you want to use it now, you can download and install the protractor plugin.

Yeah, I can't even get to my station parked at about 120km. I'm sure I'm not flying them right, just not sure how. Thanks.

Ah ok, well I forget the exact flight ceiling, but basically you want to ascend steep (I usually peg it at 70 degrees until around 14km, then nose down to 45 degrees until within 5km of the flight ceiling) until you get close to it and your intakes start dropping, then level off about 2km below the maximum flight ceiling and just burn at about 10 degrees up from level until you're going about as fast as you can, then pull up sharply and just before your jet engines burn out, disengage them and engage your LV-N using their action groups (it also closes your intakes when you use the action group).

For one of them, I forget which but I think it might have been the arrow, you'll want to instead of just toggling both engines, throttle down to prevent a burnout and engage your LVN when you get close, so you're burning with all 3 engines to get the thrust for more velocity before you leave the atmosphere. When your throttle gets down below 1/4 or so, finally switch off the jets and throttle back up.

I usually dock and refuel at around 85km instead of 120, but 120 should be doable, though it will be close. if encessary, you can use some RCS fuel to help circularize (I've done this before after a particularly bad ascent with the x-wing)

Edited by Colonel_Panic

Awesome, thank you. Docked the Dart last night, still figuring out the others.

IIRC the arrow is the hard one to reach orbit because of it's weight and only one LV-N, so you need the jet engines to help and just throttle down to avoid flameout.

The Javelin has plenty of fuel and thrust, but is very heavy with not a lot of lift, so you need to keep the nose up above your prograde a lot. When you start reaching the ceiling with that one, just try and keep your prograde pegged level and bring the speed up until the prograde starts moving up toward your nose again.

Hey i really like ur desings so may i ask does those work in Far? and how i can download them? And i dont know were to put that thing! thx for help anyway

Generally assume that nothing that works in stock will work in FAR and vice-versa.

save them as .cratf files in your saves SPH folder.

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.