Pulse Detonation Engine

SasquatchM

I tried using this one and I'm impressed with the amount of thrust and impulse it has. Only problem is that it clips with some stock and modded parts when placing. Not clipping asthetically nice, like the last post's picture. The engine ends inside the main structure.

Finally was able to do a plane that could take off using these engines and...Results were fantastic. these can go way higher than normal jet engines. I believe I only had a flameout when I exited the atmosphere.

Here is my test plane cruising at almost orbital altitudes:

fXsKAzn.png

And here are the Results. 2,663 m/s!!!

Bz24R2n.png

Now, if we only coud get those as separate rear mounted intake and engine...

A no-intake-spam somewhat realistic SSTO, Courtesy of, well, many mods, but mostly this one:

Totally cool! Love to see something realistic (since this can actually work from 0 speed, unlike real SCRAM jets).

And here are the Results. 2,663 m/s!!!

I have the Dictionary of Numbers installed, interestingly this is also the speed of the our world's fastest rocket sled!

Fixing the collider does sound like a good idea.

Now, if we only coud get those as separate rear mounted intake and engine...

Maybe not realistic for this design?

What happens is that different bits of textures gets used as the SPH/VAB interface texture. I can see the parts properly, but it gets really annoying. Also, the buttons to the top-right also go weird, except for the modular subassembly thingy. It stays normal. Maybe I don't have the newest version of the firespitter plugin? Gotta check that when I get home.

It was a legitimate question. I sometimes forget the most basic things when installing mods, but remember the much more complicated things. (Like, when I install mods for minecraft).

It was a legitimate question. I sometimes forget the most basic things when installing mods, but remember the much more complicated things. (Like, when I install mods for minecraft).

Sorry man, in my case, i do a check list of myself. When i come with a problem to others, all basic stuff was discarded, but if you need a check list, here go:

Using Mac, with .20.0

Yes, i have wall Snjo's Firespitter Plugin installed and working.

Installed, on older dirs from pre .20.0, like /parts and /sound. Yes, i already try to put a copy of the sound on the new dir /sound inside Gamedata/Squad.

I have the default sound from engine start (default from system KSP), but then, only the sound of wind.

Is nice to have a pulse jet in silence mode, but not real.

If i can say, i think the textures need a extra care!

But the power of the engine is amazing. Is good to have one of these to easy orbit/space SSTO's

Thanks you!

Edited by Climberfx

SM, are you going to update FFR engines too? I miss them greatly on my explorer ships :(

Thank you Sasquatch :D That was quick, and my engines are working like a charm again. Although they seem to overheat faster, did you change the settings?

Edited by Scotius
Avoiding double posting.

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love this mod! It seems well balanced to me, and the engines themselves are cool as hell. They give JUST enough extra oomph and jet powered altitude for my SSTO to be of better cargo use, and save me literally tons of rocket fuel. Did I mention they're cool as hell?

One tweak I suggest is to have them actually become inoperable when the intake air falls below .01 units. Real pulse jet tech will work off compressed air but it wouldn't have the same thrust in vacuum as a rocket engine, currently I can use the pulse jets in orbit better than the rocket engines... There are experimental engines in the works that can function as pulse detonation jets and rockets using variable geometry, nozzles and fuel injection though.

• 2 months later...

Thanks, SM, your mod is fantastic! I've created a couple 1950s-pulp-movie-styled ships with them, made a 7Gs-in-a-straight-line acrobatic drone and accidentally punted it into orbit, built my first successful SSTO, launched a tiny rocket into orbit (8 parts, canards as tall as the rest of it), and even adventured into part modding to make a CompressedAir droptank! When I get my hydrofoil working again--it hit ~300 mph with the F117 engines--it'll be getting PDEs. There is NOTHING like rocketing Jeb into LKO on ~13 units of jet fuel and being able to aerobrake to recompress air when it's running low.