[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

Got a few more models we're hoping to get ready, and it always depends on where DYJ is off to for work, but hopefully? :)

P.S. I also clamped scaling so you cant make hourglass wings, fixed a bug that allowed some height offsets to creep in when moving the tip, redid the cost support to scale properly, fixed a whole number of wrong values that gave incorrect lift and CoL, and added support for a FAR 0.14.2 feature.

Edited by Taverius

@SirSock: I think that's possible, although I don't think FAR supports that kind of distortion - control surfaces are attached at the leading edge, and giving them a sweep doesn't do what you think it does here, so they would behave as if they had not been angled that way.

I'll think about it, but once we figure out /how/ to rotate the transforms, its trivial to add tweakable buttons to make a control surface match the leading/trailing sweep of the wing its attached to. Aything manual would likely be via tweakable, as we'd rather not add another mouse command.

I don't think changing the characteristics would really matter too much as long as you limit the amount which you can manipulate it into a parallelogram, it's more about making aesthetically pleasing sweeped wings, it would be very very handy for making early jet-fighter style planes and such.

Edited by SirSock

I have an issue with the control surfaces. if I make a wing and setup control surfaces on it then I mirror the wing to the other side the control surface does not mirror correctly. it will have the tip and root swapped. thus if I have a control surface where I tweak the tip and root thikness to different values the other wing will have them reversed.

Secondly on the P4 wing there is an option to have the "flaps" enabled or disabled. removing them for a spot to put control surfaces is nice, but why not just make this "flap" be a control surface? thus the control surface will automatically be placed correctly and have all the proper scaling etc. to make it match up with the wing.

I have an issue with the control surfaces. if I make a wing and setup control surfaces on it then I mirror the wing to the other side the control surface does not mirror correctly. it will have the tip and root swapped. thus if I have a control surface where I tweak the tip and root thikness to different values the other wing will have them reversed.

I came here to report the same.

I'm having an issue with some of the wings - whenever I select them, I can't attach them to my plane, and when I drop them (put them away to select something else) I get a huge lag spike that lasts anytime between 5-30 seconds.

Secondly on the P4 wing there is an option to have the "flaps" enabled or disabled. removing them for a spot to put control surfaces is nice, but why not just make this "flap" be a control surface? thus the control surface will automatically be placed correctly and have all the proper scaling etc. to make it match up with the wing.

That was my original intention, but Unity doesn't appear to understand that moving parts of a skinnedmeshrenderer independent of it's parent armature is technically possible, I could work around it by making a more complex armature however...

I don't think changing the characteristics would really matter too much as long as you limit the amount which you can manipulate it into a parallelogram, it's more about making aesthetically pleasing sweeped wings, it would be very very handy for making early jet-fighter style planes and such.

Adding this feature should be very simple, so that's something we might do even if FAR doesn't support it yet. Just like we added wing thickness even though it currently does nothing.

With wing thickness symmetry I always just use the strip symmetry mod and matched them up.

Really looking forward to when pwings is compatible with NEAR. I cannot live without my pWings, so I'm still using stock aero!

Thanks again for the awesome mod! Not sure how I would make large scale space planes without it!

Funny enough, the disappearing wings bug is what has been bothering me lately. Also the inability to adjust the trailing edge to not taper (tapering means it doesn't line up with control surfaces). Both just aesthetics far as I can tell, but yeah xD. Will be happy with any added features, bugfixes or improvements though!

The trailing edge, I asked about it a long time ago, and was told that's an inherent bug thing in the way the wings are generated.

Both this dreadicon mentioned bother me a bit too, but I live with it. Disappearing wings only bother you in SPH anyways, the trailing edge is the one thing that's kinda "off" about the mod.

The trailing edge, I asked about it a long time ago, and was told that's an inherent bug thing in the way the wings are generated.

Both this dreadicon mentioned bother me a bit too, but I live with it. Disappearing wings only bother you in SPH anyways, the trailing edge is the one thing that's kinda "off" about the mod.

Agreed; I mostly come across the disappearing wings because I build giant space planes (3.75m body, triple-SABRE engine craft. Launches at least 16t into orbit in a 20m x 4m x 2.5m cargo bay). They typically have 4-8 drop tanks, and can achieve circular orbits of about 300km, depending on payload weight.

Shame about the trailing edges; oh well.

the disappearing wings has to do with the way Unity culls geometry when it is out of the camera view. Checking the "Update When Offscreen" setting in mesh renderer component will prevent the wing from disappearing when it is close to edge of screen in some situations. Larger wings are more prone to this than smaller wings. maybe the setting can be forced on by pWing.

Edited by nli2work

the disappearing wings has to do with the way Unity culls geometry when it is out of the camera view. Checking the "Update When Offscreen" setting in mesh renderer component will prevent the wing from disappearing when it is close to edge of screen in some situations. Larger wings are more prone to this than smaller wings. maybe the setting can be forced on by pWing.

Yepp, that seems to work. Should be in the next update.

Is anyone having an issue with 0.25 where using "G" won't let you change wing length?

Love the mod BTW. Makes using spaceplanes 10000000000000x more enjoyable.

yea same here. hopefully everything will be good when pWing is updated.

I was hoping someone had a quick fix while we waited for an update

people are working as hard as they can. it'll be fine soon. clear your mind and let it come to you. do not seek the updates. simply be, and the updates will be with you.

Moving the tipchord actually still works, it's just 50 times slower. Something changed in how mousespeed works in .25. The indev version works fine but I hoped we would be able to finish the SP+ style assets in time for the release, but even if we don't get that done I'll push out an update later today.