[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

Hi,

I'm having a problem with pWing when I move wings after a re-shape, and I haven't seen any post dealing with, so here it is :

Add some pWing on a plane :

439179pWinggood.jpg

Then move them a bit :

164551pWingbad.jpg

Bang! The center of lift is misplaced :huh:

I'm using pWing since a long time and it's the first time I got that (no problem with older ksp/pwing version), I'm also using FAR, I don't know if the problem can come from it.

It seems it's just a display problem, plane seems to work perfectly and problem disappear when reverting flight to hangar

Edited by varsass

@NathanKell Hi there, long time listener, first time poster. Loving all the work you are putting in to these crazy KSP mods.

However, small problem. Using the latest FAR 14.3 and the latest PWings (including yesterdays .dll fix, though that's not my issue) I'm unable to manipulate any PWing in the SPH or VAB in career or sandbox mode. I tested thoroughly, reinstalled etc, but still no go. The logs show the following whenever I mouseover + R, T or G to manipulate:

[EXC 21:08:08.072] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object    WingManipulator.SetupCollider ()
WingManipulator.Setup (Boolean doInteraction)
WingManipulator.OnStart (StartState state)
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+
.MoveNext ()

This is constant regardless of whether I try to manipulate before or after I add any of the parts. Also during loading there are some errors in the mod loading:

Think I found the root of the problem in the logs here:

[LOG 21:05:34.707] Config(@PART[Proceduralwing2]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/pWings-DRE/@PART[Proceduralwing2]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
[LOG 21:05:34.709] Config(@PART[Proceduralwing2EndPiece]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/pWings-DRE/@PART[Proceduralwing2EndPiece]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
[LOG 21:05:34.710] Config(@PART[Proceduralwing4]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/pWings-DRE/@PART[Proceduralwing4]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
[LOG 21:05:34.712] Config(@PART[ProceduralAllMovingWing]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/pWings-DRE/@PART[ProceduralAllMovingWing]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
[LOG 21:05:34.713] Config(@PART[ProceduralwingBac9]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/pWings-DRE/@PART[ProceduralwingBac9]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
[LOG 21:05:34.715] Config(@PART[ProceduralwingSPP]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/pWings-DRE/@PART[ProceduralwingSPP]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
[LOG 21:05:34.716] Config(@PART[pCtrlSrf1]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/pWings-DRE/@PART[pCtrlSrf1]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
[LOG 21:05:34.718] Config(@PART[B9_Aero_Wing_ControlSurface_SH_4mProcedural]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/pWings-DRE/@PART[B9_Aero_Wing_ControlSurface_SH_4mProcedural]:FOR[pWings]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
[LOG 21:05:34.720] Config(PART) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwing2/part/Proceduralwing2
[LOG 21:05:34.721] Config(@PART[Proceduralwing2]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwing2/part/@PART[Proceduralwing2]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
[LOG 21:05:34.723] Config(PART) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwing2endcap/part/Proceduralwing2EndPiece
[LOG 21:05:34.724] Config(@PART[Proceduralwing2EndPiece]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwing2endcap/part/@PART[Proceduralwing2EndPiece]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
[LOG 21:05:34.725] Config(PART) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwing3/part/Proceduralwing4
[LOG 21:05:34.727] Config(@PART[Proceduralwing4]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwing3/part/@PART[Proceduralwing4]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
[LOG 21:05:34.728] Config(PART) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwingAllMovingSurface/part/ProceduralAllMovingWing
[LOG 21:05:34.729] Config(@PART[ProceduralAllMovingWing]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwingAllMovingSurface/part/@PART[ProceduralAllMovingWing]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
[LOG 21:05:34.731] Config(PART) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwingB9/part/ProceduralwingBac9
[LOG 21:05:34.732] Config(@PART[ProceduralwingBac9]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwingB9/part/@PART[ProceduralwingBac9]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
[LOG 21:05:34.734] Config(PART) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwingSPP/part/ProceduralwingSPP
[LOG 21:05:34.735] Config(@PART[ProceduralwingSPP]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/DYJproceduralwingSPP/part/@PART[ProceduralwingSPP]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
[LOG 21:05:34.737] Config(PART) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/procedural_ControlSurface_1/part/pCtrlSrf1
[LOG 21:05:34.738] Config(@PART[pCtrlSrf1]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/procedural_ControlSurface_1/part/@PART[pCtrlSrf1]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
[LOG 21:05:34.740] Config(PART) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/procedural_ControlSurface_SH_4m/part/B9_Aero_Wing_ControlSurface_SH_4mProcedural
[LOG 21:05:34.741] Config(@PART[B9_Aero_Wing_ControlSurface_SH_4mProcedural]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]) ProceduralDynamics/Parts/procedural_ControlSurface_SH_4m/part/@PART[B9_Aero_Wing_ControlSurface_SH_4mProcedural]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]

FAR works... It's been ripping my ships to bits happily for the last few days and I have all the relevant tools associated, but it seems the PWings mod doesn't recognise it maybe? I note it also mentions both NEAR and Deadly Re-entry but I have neither, just FAR in terms of aerodynamic mods. Didn't notice any other requirements (the readme doesn't mention them either.)

Any way that jumps out I can unbork this please?

1. Please thank DYJ; this was just a quick patch I made because I use pwings exclusively and needneedneed them to work with latest FAR. :]

2. Please post your complete mod list with versions. I will try to replicate with just stock+FAR+pwings.

1. Please thank DYJ; this was just a quick patch I made because I use pwings exclusively and needneedneed them to work with latest FAR. :]

2. Please post your complete mod list with versions. I will try to replicate with just stock+FAR+pwings.

I think I'm 2... here you go:

B9 - R5 2.5 (bug also present in 2.4)

PWing - 0.9.1

FAR - 0.14.3.1 (3.2 was just released, upgrading now)

MechJeb - 2.3.1.0 (also upgrading now)

Chatterer - 0.7.1

And that's it!

Is anyone getting a lot more lag in the right-click menu of a PWing or when trying to resize one since 0.9.1? All is working well for me, but I'm getting a lot slower when doing these tasks than before. Once I've finished the right-click menu, the lag is gone.

It's due to FAR. FAR caches wing interaction now, so whenever a proc wing changes, all wing interactions* need to be recalculated.

*Ferram suggested "only within a certain area" but I figured better safe than sorry. If it gets very bad, we can optimize. Oh, but check your log in case you haven't updated FAR and it's spewing exceptions, thus causing lag. :]

Hey gang, I'm getting some strange behavior with P-wings on saved craft; I suspect it's an interaction with another mod likely causing it, but wonder if anyone can suggest how to proceed with diagnosing the issue accurately.

All wing behavior seems to be correct with few exceptions, except that I get structural failures between the wing and the rest of the craft (the wings just fall off), however this happens ONLY after saving my game with a craft in flight, closing KSP and coming back to it later. Upon loading the craft, the wings just fall off! This will happen even in a vacuum, as I just tested it with a spaceplane on a sub-orbital path at 75km altitude. I'll try to test this under more scenarios to make certain no other wings are affected, but I know for a fact that the stock advanced canards remain attached while the procedural wings detach. Also worth noting is that when I pull up the log using F3, there is no "structural failure" message unless I quickload a craft which is in the atmosphere. If I have it in orbit or sitting on the runway the wings will just fall off, and I note that the game appears to think they are still part of the craft since the view zooms out to try and maintain the center of mass in the middle of the screen. Let me know if screenshots, log or other testing is needed!

My first suspicion lies with Deadly Reentry, wondering if anyone else here is using DR with P-Wings?

I could, but I'd rather tell you about the Search Thread tool near the top right of the page (just under the page numbers). Click on that, then Advanced Search, and you can search specifically for posts by NathanKell. Alternatively, you could go back one page, since most people have 10 posts per page. Then use your browser's search-on-page tool (usually Edit > Find or Edit > Search) to look for the username NathanKell.

NathanKell: Thanks for the tip, odd things happened. I removed B9 (causing several of my ships to spontaneously... stop existing in space, eh) but PWings worked just fine. I added B9 back in to confirm and... well it's all working now, PWings and B9. Very strange and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Can it be that the procedural wings have become a tad expensive as of late? My large tanker with huge wings has appreciated considerably as of late -- ~400k funds in KSP 0.242, now ~900k funds in KSP 0.25. It appears that the wings now are more expensive than all the other parts taken together.

A quick comparison indicates that procedural wings are twice as expensive per area, and four times as expensive per lift rating, than standard wing pieces.

can you show me?

Sorry I forgot about this post! I just tried to recreate the issue in sandbox mode with all stock parts except P-wings, and I didn't get the "wings falling off but not actually breaking" bug I reported; there must be an interaction with other parts from another mod or something. If I get it to happen in my career mode again I'll let you know, but due to another similar issue (with a craft NOT using p-wings anywhere as best as I can recall) I'm pretty sure I was mistaken in originally assuming the issue was with p-wings. Thanks anyway!

I just updated to the latest version of this mod, and now whenever I try to attatch these parts to a ship they won't attatch and the game breaks. is there a fix or a copy of the previous version I can download (where this issue did not occur)

I just updated to the latest version of this mod, and now whenever I try to attatch these parts to a ship they won't attatch and the game breaks. is there a fix or a copy of the previous version I can download (where this issue did not occur)
What the hell. Far is apparreantly a requirement for me, and near makes it só when i click wings to place em, it Just stays ghostly and isnt placed. Gg.

there's a fixed DLL on page 90 in NK's post, as it says on the top of this page. the download on the main page isn't updated because the maintainer is busy

there's a fixed DLL on page 90 in NK's post, as it says on the top of this page.

The fix on page 92 is to prevent the load screen from getting stuck at the control surface parts when FAR/NEAR are not installed, which is what the post at the top of this page is also about. Good try though.