[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

Oddly enough, I cannot get the wing to change values. No matter how much surface area I give it, the wing WILL NOT generate any more lift. I got some neat shapes though.

Quite the perplexing problem.

Yes, I have everything in the correct folders.

Oddly enough, I cannot get the wing to change values. No matter how much surface area I give it, the wing WILL NOT generate any more lift. I got some neat shapes though.

Quite the perplexing problem.

Yes, I have everything in the correct folders.

You must be using FAR.

As noted in the OP, we're setting the values of the FAR aerodynamic module correctly as we go, but FAR itself doesn't yet pick up on our changes.

That won't happen until ferram4 has time to get back to us about how to make that happen :)

I think this would benefit from having some sort of node system that way we can just click and drag in order to change the shapes, my laptop's keypad doesn't work very well when a key is being pressed for whatever reason and having the ability to make compound wing shapes in one piece would be awesome as well as being able to make exact angles, but these are only suggestions so do as you please!

I usually just lurk, but I have to say thanks for this mod. I've been tinkering around trying to make a replica of the 300i from star citizen and it was going terribly. Like parts falling off terribly.

Then I found your work.

screenshot4.png

and then it survived this

screenshot2-1.png

Amazing mod. Thank you for your awesome work.

Weirdness on build 0.20.0.162

I can't place a second procedural wing ontop of a first to create things like vertical stabilizers. For example, if I try to place it in the middle of Wing 1 like so.

Buggy1_zpsf903a074.png

It snaps to the wing-tip instead. Other objects work properly, but PD wings don't.

Buggy2_zpsea866656.png

Sometimes in flight, this second part jumps around the model. It's been causing weird problems.

Buggy3_zpseefd6cf0.png

Edited by Konraden

can you upload to spaceport, or provide a mediafire link?

your dropbox has too much traffic.

(my flight got delayed until the river ice breaks up enough for a boat to get to the airstrip. fun fun)

This the auto-snap function.

To disable it hold down right-click as u place

Doesn't do anything for me :(

Also, is it me, or are these wings a little wimpy as far as lift is concerned?

If you make one wing with the traditional wing parts, and then mimic the exact same wing shape with the PWing, you end up generating much less lift than you would have otherwise.

Edited by Frostiken

Doesn't do anything for me :(

Also, is it me, or are these wings a little wimpy as far as lift is concerned?

If you make one wing with the traditional wing parts, and then mimic the exact same wing shape with the PWing, you end up generating much less lift than you would have otherwise.

As far as the lift is concerned, I feel the same way. The image in my bug post there, those wings provide plenty of lift, but the "Delta" wings in the game provide more lift than similar sized wings made with PWings. There seems to be a bit of an imbalance.

As far as the lift is concerned, I feel the same way. The image in my bug post there, those wings provide plenty of lift, but the "Delta" wings in the game provide more lift than similar sized wings made with PWings. There seems to be a bit of an imbalance.

Its possible that there's a bug with our lift calculations, but there will be variances anyhow.

pWings uses a formula based on actual aerodynamics (simplified somewhat) to generate its lift value, while the stock wings used the creator's eyeballed guess and often have nonsensical values. I'm not going to change that, as it lets you replicate actual wing shapes and have them behave roughly the same.

Its possible that there's a bug with our lift calculations, but there will be variances anyhow.

pWings uses a formula based on actual aerodynamics (simplified somewhat) to generate its lift value, while the stock wings used the creator's eyeballed guess and often have nonsensical values. I'm not going to change that, as it lets you replicate actual wing shapes and have them behave roughly the same.

Yea, but here you can have your cake and eat it too. Just add a multiplier for the final wing based on some arbitrary number. I can tell you that the lift on the wings in the game is far from sufficient. I believe this is to battle the infiniglide problem. Making wings useless to cover an unfinished part of the game is not really acceptable.

It may take a bit of experimenting to come up with that arbitrary number. I can tell you to start with about 3x. That seems to be near the sweet spot for flyable and normal looking wings. Unless you think making wings that function like actually wings is a problem.

I'll investigate if our formula has a bug that makes it generate a value that's too low, but its designed to stay around the values used in stock, and that's unlikely to change.

If you want realistic wings, you should be using FAR. Not that pWings supports FAR properly right now.

This the auto-snap function.

To disable it hold down right-click as u place

That doesn't do anything for me. Normal parts place fine, only a second set of PWings doesn't place correctly. That jump to the edge everytime.