[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

More options is always good, but keep in mind how useful very thick wings can be. With this mod and FAR, you can create a very close approximation to a true lifting body, and hide all sorts of equipment inside the wing roots.

Personally, I love that we can finally have curved wings. That's something that has been missing from KSP for far too long.

Valkyrie_01_zps6bad2b26.png

Personally, I love that we can finally have curved wings. That's something that has been missing from KSP for far too long.

how on earth are you doing this?!? and the tail....I must be using these p-wings wrong or something

Your stuff looks amazing

It isn't really curved. The wing is made up of several segments, each one at a slightly different angle. I also have no reservations at all about clipping multiple parts through and/or completely burying them inside wings or structural components.

My plan is to share the last two designs, packaged together with the requisite mod list and a few custom parts. It's all still a WIP. The goal is to use spaceplanes to launch everything needed for an entire space program. I also have a couple of functioning spaceplanes that'll do SSTO from a runway takeoff. One carries passengers, and the other a small 1.25m payload. Those two aren't as pretty, though; very utilitarian.

Edited by White Owl

Did use this mod because it didn't fit well with the b9 parts. Didn't use b9 parts after this came out because they didn't fit with this wing. Thank you so much! :D

Okay, here's a thought about varying the pWing thickness.

Since we already have controls to individually vary the length of the root and the tip of any given pWing section, with thickness automagically scaling, how difficult would it be to make the same kind of control setup to vary the thickness of the root and tip individually? I imagine in this case, just leave the automagical scaling alone.

For that matter... I like how holding G lets me move the tip around in the horizontal plane. How difficult would it be to do the same thing in the vertical plane? That would smooth out the angle changes for dihedral; eliminate those ugly gaps between wing sections.

how about dynamic wing fuel storage? optional of course

This would be SOOOOO awesome. That would also help tremendously with those planes that get unstable as their fuel runs out.

Here's an STS-style vessel I'm prototyping with this mod (and KW Rocketry and B9):

SVFbxpJ.jpg

It launches well, but reentry and landing is a pain. There's a very strong tendency to point in the current direction of flight - i.e. it greatly resists changes to direction at any speed, and it won't stick to a nose-up reentry. As a result I have yet to land it without a case of involuntary vessel dismantlement and spontaneous fuselage combustion. Is this a problem with my design, FAR or pWing? The centre of lift is at least 3m behind the centre of mass.

Edited by ZRM

That's why it's too stable. Of course it's too stable. Try move the wings forward

But if I do that, it doesn't look much like the shuttle. And this is without a payload. With that, I would probably need the wings even further forward. So how come the STS orbiter has its wings so far back? Are its engines a lot heavier (relatively) or something?

My impression is that the STS wings are a little more forward than your current design. More importantly, the shuttle has a lifting body design, so the fuselage generates lift too. And yes, those SSMEs are heavy.

The principle is, the CoL should be right on top of the CoM during reentry and atmospheric flight. The shuttle does it by moving fuel or something.

Another thing is during supersonic flight the CoL of delta wings move to the rear if you use FAR. FAR is good

I've modified the design now to include a second section of pWing pieces positioned seamlessly in front of the rear, main surface so that I can have a larger effective root length without the added thickness. This more accurately represents the STS swept wing which I see starts very near the front of the orbiter. It now actually handles much better, but I am finding that a high speed is required to maintain a low sink rate while landing, which with the high roll instability (even with a very sizeable pWing stabiliser and tiny roll control surfaces) is making it impossible to land without tearing the landing gear off (leading to a crash). Plus it doesn't help that I have yet to find a robust way of descending from orbit to the required glidepath. MechJeb doesn't help with this at all.

Other than that, from testing this mod using this design I must say that Procedural Wings is brilliant for tailoring wings like you never could before. Once the few extra features people are asking for are added and polished, it should be stock, perhaps with an enhanced precision editor interface.

I've modified the design now to include a second section of pWing pieces positioned seamlessly in front of the rear, main surface so that I can have a larger effective root length without the added thickness. This more accurately represents the STS swept wing which I see starts very near the front of the orbiter. It now actually handles much better, but I am finding that a high speed is required to maintain a low sink rate while landing, which with the high roll instability (even with a very sizeable pWing stabiliser and tiny roll control surfaces) is making it impossible to land without tearing the landing gear off (leading to a crash). Plus it doesn't help that I have yet to find a robust way of descending from orbit to the required glidepath. MechJeb doesn't help with this at all.

Other than that, from testing this mod using this design I must say that Procedural Wings is brilliant for tailoring wings like you never could before. Once the few extra features people are asking for are added and polished, it should be stock, perhaps with an enhanced precision editor interface.

Remember the real shuttle glided like a brick. Sounds like you're getting closer and closer to an accurate model! :D

Wait...so, if I understand it correctly, with this mod, you can basically resize every piece of wings ?

no, you can resize the p-wing part...not sure if the modules or whatever makes it work can be added to other wings or not

edit: this thing is handy basically no matter what, not only a versatile wing but a hand 'fill any gap' structural part too

Edited by KhaosCorp

Wait...so, if I understand it correctly, with this mod, you can basically resize every piece of wings ?

Nope better. This mod makes wings exactly as you would want them. You are basically editing the size and shape of the wings in the Hangar. It helps with keeping your craft from having 5000 ugly clipped wings to get the shape and size you want.

I also have a few questions of my own for those who can answer them.

Are these wings useable without FAR? Reading this thread I get the impression that they aren't. If they are more like the vanilla wings with only 1 or 1.5 lift, then they wont do me any good.

Are these wings useable without FAR? Reading this thread I get the impression that they aren't. If they are more like the vanilla wings with only 1 or 1.5 lift, then they wont do me any good.

There are to an extent that I am using them together :) Also, it is in the first post :wink:

- Proper (afaik) FAR support

There are to an extent that I am using them together :) Also, it is in the first post :wink:

I asked if they are useable without it. Not with it. I obviously know they are FAR compatible. People in this thread said that they had low lift. I am asking if they are useable in the vanilla game.

Okay, so I've tried using the wings with FAR, and I cannot make the CoL move at all. For all intents and purposes, it moves, but the CoL indicator doesn't represent this move correctly. It just sorta stays at the back of the fuselage.

Found I had an old part in my parts folder. Fixed the issue.

Edited by IvanTehFennec

Damn, I can't wait til procedural control surfaces (if that's still happening)! I'm trying to make tiny one person planes with the new kerbal seats and the magical turbine force is making them fly too easily!

Nice lookin F4U... better be the charlie model, that had cannons.

Have a craft file: link

It uses TV Pizza and Aerospace, Firespitter Prop Plane Parts, Procedural Wings, and Aviation Lights. I think those are all the mods.