[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

First, I would like to say that i love this mod. For me, it has singlehandedly saved the spaceplane aspect of the game, which was beginning to feel stale after so many repetitions of the same design using stock wing parts. Especially with FAR, pWings has revolutionized spaceplane design.

There is one, small cosmetic aspect that bugs me, however. When I change the root scale of a wing, it not only scales the wing lengthwise, but also thickness-wise, so that the wing keeps the same general cross-section. While this makes perfect sense (the root of a tapered wing will of course be thicker than the wingtip), if I'm trying to create a delta-winged SSTO, with the wing root running the whole length of the aircraft, the wing root will sometimes be about a meter thick! The problem is exacerbated in the B9 pWing, which is already super-thick to begin with!

In other words, could it be possible to make the wings scale only lengthwise, rather than length-and-height-wise?

FdZpGJn.jpg

Another payload fairing test thing.

X,Y,Z separate scaling is built in already, it's just a matter of figuring out a good UI system for it and sitting down and actually coding.

Wet wings are quite skethcy at the moment since fuel flows out and not in, and that their aerodynamic properties would change with their fuelamount with vanilla aerodynamics.

Yeah, fuel in wings is still problematic, I understand that.

How about fuel in the pAdapters? It occurs to me that a scalable fuel and oxidizer quantity inside an adapter would be functionally identical to a procedural fuel tank. Is that possible?

This is really cool that you are making procedural fairings. I always thought that fairings is ksp must be resizable in game, otherwise it will be not useful. So, please, continue your work and we will wait for qualitative implementation, that will solve ksp fairing issue :-)

I'm sorry if that was already suggested, but could the thickness of the wing have it's own button, cause when you go for large wings it ends up some times even bigger than the fuselage, and also if the tip is very thin putting the control surfaces on it becomes very ugly. And again I'm sorry if it was already said.

In other words, could it be possible to make the wings scale only lengthwise, rather than length-and-height-wise?

I second this request. maybe even add another action to thicken the root and tip thicknesses independently.

FdZpGJn.jpg

Another payload fairing test thing.

X,Y,Z separate scaling is built in already, it's just a matter of figuring out a good UI system for it and sitting down and actually coding.

Wet wings are quite skethcy at the moment since fuel flows out and not in, and that their aerodynamic properties would change with their fuelamount with vanilla aerodynamics.

I could think a user interface that allows the user to enter values for the height of the fairing, and for each of the other points the height and the distance from the center as well as increase or decrease the number of points.

could this also be used for interstages?

What about making Pwings compatible with the modular fuel tank mod, for use for people with FAR?

Perhaps the amounf of fuel the wing could carry was set after the wing was edited and changes made to it would alter that as well? Or the standard pWing without any edits carry X amount of fuel(if desired) and further modifications are done based on the base values?

could there be a constraint or option in the .cfg on the pwing on how thick it gets? I didn't think it was really an issue till I tried making a larger delta style wing and the root was almost thicker than the fuselage.....lol I would consider giving the non-B9 pwing a max thickness, if this can be done. And for those not using FAR, I made a copy of the original pwing and edited the .cfg (name and part name so it doesnt conflict) and changed the lift to 6.0 and everything is fine...including the lift ball / mass ball relation. I seen the lift ball was where it placed it (depending on the wing) and placed some conformal weights of mine near the lift ball and everything was balanced great and it flew like a dream. and sorry to the author if I am not supposed to edit your .cfg ,but I don't use far and I needed lift. :) and again.....outstanding job on this mod!!

could there be a constraint or option in the .cfg on the pwing on how thick it gets? I didn't think it was really an issue till I tried making a larger delta style wing and the root was almost thicker than the fuselage...

I'm having the exact same problem. Is there any way to make it so it just gets wider or narrower, and not thicker? This is my only issue with this mod, as there are no really big wings, and if you try to make them with these, it just gets too think and doesn't work.

any progress? are you going to change how wing thickness is controlled? its the only thing keeping me from using it
could there be a constraint or option in the .cfg on the pwing on how thick it gets? I didn't think it was really an issue till I tried making a larger delta style wing and the root was almost thicker than the fuselage.....

Time to download some bigger fuselages by the sound of it. A simple trick around both of your problems would be just to put on more than one pWing next to each other and blend them together.

Time to download some bigger fuselages by the sound of it. A simple trick around both of your problems would be just to put on more than one pWing next to each other and blend them together.

But then you have the risk of them loading outside of the model when you launch, requiring sometimes multiple restarts.

But that defeats the purpose of the mod, because the reason I use it is so I don't have to stick multiple wing segments together!

But that defeats the purpose of the mod, because the reason I use it is so I don't have to stick multiple wing segments together!

Fair do if thats why you use it. I admit thats part of why I use it, but I actually mainly use it so I can get really interesting wing shapes that actually MAKE lift. (forward/backward facing wing panels actually don't make any lift at all - so really nice stock designs are often terribly ineffective)

Just a curiosity of mine right now, but has any thought be put into something along the lines of a 'Procedural Panels' type mod?

I'm currently trying to replicate a spaceship from a certain Vin Diesel movie, and so far I've spent six hours working on the cockpit section alone, and right now working on the very front and having a helluva time joining the top and bottoms of the front fuselage. I was using square B9 panels for most of it, but as the front tapers to smaller than 1x1, square panels don't cut it. I've resorted to pWings, but as they taper from root to tip, I'm not getting the aesthetic I'm looking for.

My thought was a pWing style part, but instead adjusting root, tip, and free form, it would remain a constant thickness, and have a height, width, and free form adjustment. Just my two cents.

You going to use KAS to make "party poppers"?

Nope, I was referring to the Hunter-Gratzner from Pitch Black. Always though that was a cool ship. Not to mention the screenshot epicness of bringing it into the atmosphere with Deadly Re-entry on. I just can't seem to accurately get the very front of the ship as it tapers in three directions. Maybe I'll just take some time and figure out how to create collision meshes and just make some one-off parts, although I don't even know where to begin with that...