[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

It's still WIP as changelog says, but shouldn't thickness setting affect visuals of the wing/surface? I tried to change them and.. nothing. Seems that it has no visual or CoL impact for now.

You have to reattach the wing for the changes to take place, I forgot to add that.

Nope, that looks like a FAR error (another one). Fix should be up in the FAR thread momentarily.

Are you referring to Craidie's post? Because I get the exact same issue (the Center of Lift seems to be inverted), and I *DON'T* have FAR installed... (I think my computer would croak on the more complicated aerodynamic calculations- lag already forces me to severely limit part-count on my spaceplanes)

@DYJ

Also, it would be GREATLY appreciated if you could add Career Mode compatibility for the parts (literally all you have to do is add "TechRequired =***" and a tech where the stars are) so I don't have to go adding "TechRequired = heavyAerodynamics" to the parts files myself every time I update this mod if I want t continue using it in Career Mode (I choose Heavy Aerodynamics as the tech for the parts because it is one of the very last aerodynamic techs available in the stock tech tree, and thus can't be used to get around the limitations on wing size and effectiveness imposed by technology at earlier tech nodes... This is the tech I would suggest you add all the parts to for Career Mode- although you could choose whatever other tech node or nodes you see fit...)

Edited by Northstar1989

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70818657/pWingsPromo.png

Introduction

The procedural dynamics procedural wing (pWing for short) is a wing piece that the user can procedurally manipulate, the wing automatically generates colliders and set its .cfg parameters accordingly.

Instructions / key commands:

Once a wing-section is placed mouse movement + the following commands changes the shape of the wing.

Root scale : Mouseover + R

Tip scale : Mouseover + T

Tip position : Mouseover + G

Debug print: O

Autosnapping:

When a section is attached to another it snaps into place on its parent part to allow for "seamless" joints, this doesn't affect rotation so you can use WASDQE to angle stuff like normal.

Autosnapping can be disabled by holding down the right mousebutton as the part is attached.

Changelog:

0.1 - "Alpha" Release

0.2:

- (sort of)Added reflective FAR support

- Code refactoring by Taverius

- Unborked a bunch of stuff

- Further optimization

- Mirrored parts now automatically get updated

- Lift indicator should be correct.

0.3:

- Proper (afaik) FAR support

- Unborking of the attach override logic.

0.4:

-Added B9 aerospace wing, asset by Bac9.

0.5:

-Added adapter thing, updated references, might have fixed the CoL indicator some people were having with vanilla ksp.

0.6:

-Added 2 controlsurfaces and one 1 new wing part, Added WIP thickness scaling. FAR support is very questionable.

Install:

pWings work via the GameData system, so drop the ProceduralDynamics folder in there.

Known issues / Improvable areas / FAQ / Words / What does this mean?!:

Autosnapping settings are forgotten when wingsections are picked up again, so try to remember that for now. ( Some kind of check if you are attaching a bunch of stuff or just this one piece could fix that)

Editing a mirrored part or parts that are in weird orientations results in unintuitive controls, can usually be fixed by moving the camera to the other side.

Reflective support? Reflective FAR support means that to install the FAR version you simply make sure that FAR is installed.

Thickness scaling makes no sense and doesn't update?! True, will look that over,hitting R,T or G with it highlighted will force the update.

This is early so it's bound to contain all kinds of weirdness, try to report said weirdness in a constructive manner.

Source:

https://bitbucket.org/Damnyoujapan/dyjlibrary/src/b14a7b14e696bdfa004a792dd4c43ee02697fd6e/WingManipulator.cs

Licensing:

Do not distribute derivatives without my permission, feel free to tinker with it but ask me before you release anything.

Download 0.6

Hello People,

I want the 0.22 version please post the download link to 0.22 Procedural Dynamics Please ;.;

Hi, DYJ, I think there is a bug with B9-like procedural control surface: it has the same config name as the non-procedural one from B9, B9_Aero_Wing_ControlSurface_SH_4M, so if I try to add it to the tech tree, it always stays unresearched (even after click in R&D center) because of name conflict. Renaming it to anything unique solves the issue.

I want the 0.22 version please post the download link to 0.22 Procedural Dynamics Please ;.;

Was looking for this as well since I'm still running 0.22 until all the mods I use are stabilized; and until I have time to deal with any changes they've made. The 0.23 version hangs on the loading screen.

Google cache had it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70818657/ProceduralDynamics0.5.zip

Should be okay (I hope) as the author still has the old version in their dropbox, but I'll remove the link if it's not kosher.

Was looking for this as well since I'm still running 0.22 until all the mods I use are stabilized

You might want to do some research on some 0.23 mods, as I don't believe they are all backwards compatible. You may need to end up starting a new save anyway.

I seem to have a problem with strong pitching up. The COL is positioned just after the COM as it should in weight and balance when regarding lift. For some reason while flying the physics act as if the COL is being placed before the COM. Any ideas?

I seem to have a problem with strong pitching up. The COL is positioned just after the COM as it should in weight and balance when regarding lift. For some reason while flying the physics act as if the COL is being placed before the COM. Any ideas?

Do you have a picture of the craft in question and what other mods are you running?

I'm also seeing pitch-up behavior, although I'm running FAR and a lot of that pitch-up was due to me having radial air intakes on the top of the plane and not the bottom, adding asymmetrical drag. (This was less of an issue in earlier versions of FAR.)

The planes still want to pitch up unless I move the CoL noticeably further back from the CoM than I used to. No idea if it's just that this mod and FAR aren't playing nice together or if I'm just not used to the new FAR yet.

I'm also seeing pitch-up behavior, although I'm running FAR and a lot of that pitch-up was due to me having radial air intakes on the top of the plane and not the bottom, adding asymmetrical drag. (This was less of an issue in earlier versions of FAR.)

The planes still want to pitch up unless I move the CoL noticeably further back from the CoM than I used to. No idea if it's just that this mod and FAR aren't playing nice together or if I'm just not used to the new FAR yet.

I am having problems with pitching up as well- and the problem is made far worse by the inverted Center of Lift relative to where it should be (any craft with wings swept strongly back in this mod will have its Center of Lift way in front of where it *SHOULD* be)- making it near-impossible for me to move the Center of Lift far enough back to counter the odd pitching-up behavior.

Example below:

jIfe8Bf.png

Edited by Northstar1989

Not sure if its FAR or PW but I have had several designs end up unusable or just scary at times. Once the craft hits a certain speed, in the case of my most recent craft anything over 80ms the wings start to vibrate up and down rapidly, I actually had one craft break all the engines off and it continued to accelerate only using the force from the flapping....

Some craft it only happened for a second or 2 and only once or twice during an SSTO flight but some its just constant.

Is anything going to be done about the CoL offset bug? This is the not the first time I've posted on this, and nobody even seems to notice my posts on it...

The problem appears to arise from the CoL *ALWAYS* being centered halfway between the ends of the wing attachment points- regardless of the sweep angle of the wings. The CoM, on the other hand, DOES respond to wing sweep. What this always and inevitably results in is craft with rear-swept wings always being WORSE tail-draggers than those with straight (unswept) wings- which is precisely the opposite of how it should be, and a real hassle in craft design as the weight of heavy engines at the rear (under-wing designs have too many problems with smashing their engines into the terrain on rough landings) requires me to pull my CoL back to prevent the craft from going nose-up...