[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

Yep i like where that's going dude! maybe holla atcha boy here about which parts of the code you're changing up to get that kinda effect? Also, if you'd like to get some help with the whole texturing thing lemme know, here is my pwing texture resume *snip*

Wait, custom textures? Did I miss something? How do I make those?

If this you release this, can you 1) add procedural control surfaces that work the same as the wings, and 2) make it so shift the leading and trailing edges forward and back without changing their shapes, as opposed to changing the root and tip scales then fixing the shape when you want the same shape just longer? Also I have no idea if that last part made sense, i can draw a picture if it didn't. Just not right now, it's late.

@phoenix_ca: They work with FAR and DRE on my install. Not that I'm a space-plane expert, by any means, but it looks like it functions "as designed".

That said, I'd love a set of "heavy" wings that include a built-in HeatShield module and the black under-body texture .. perhaps with a minimum "width", so they couldn't be made super-thin.

@soggymushrooms: Not sure if i understand you correctly but i'll try to answer 1) I don't see how this would be beneficial. The original way of scaling seems to make most sense for what are essentially just leading/trailing edges.

2) This is exactly what i implemented. The scaling of the leading/trailing edges in the first example is determined by the thickness scaling. It would be easy to add an extra tweakable for this though.

@phoenix_ca: They probably won't be the first thing to explode :)

I'm not getting proper CoL updates when using the Mark 3 PWing (the B9-styled one). The CoL either only takes one wing into account (only on the left side of an airplane), or none.

The only difference I can find between the cfg files is that the PWings that work do not have the following in their WingManipulator module:

modelChordLenght = 5

No, that's not a typo on my end. That's what's in the config, "Lenght".

Edit: Fixing this to read "modelChordLength = 5" fixes the problem.

Edited by phoenix_ca

How are you building the craft? I've had this problem before when I built the wings with symmetry on, making both at the same time. I've avoided the bug by building one wing fully, then grabbing its base and turning symmetry on to install two finished wings at the same time.

Just for the record, i think there is an issue with FAR and PWings. (Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm not an engineer.)

The MAC for a trapezoidal wing should be M.A.C. = 2/3 (Croot + Ctip - Croot Ctip / (Croot+Ctip)), but in PWing it is calculated as MAC = (Croot+Ctip)/2, which is fed into FAR. (http://adg.stanford.edu/aa241/wingdesign/winggeometry.html).

It makes about a factor of 1.4 for delta wings and no difference for straight wings.

Just for the record, i think there is an issue with FAR and PWings. (Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm not an engineer.)

The MAC for a trapezoidal wing should be M.A.C. = 2/3 (Croot + Ctip - Croot Ctip / (Croot+Ctip)), but in PWing it is calculated as MAC = (Croot+Ctip)/2, which is fed into FAR. (http://adg.stanford.edu/aa241/wingdesign/winggeometry.html).

It makes about a factor of 1.4 for delta wings and no difference for straight wings.

I'll do some investigation today on my livestream this afternoon. Additionally i'd like to second the request for more tweakable features of the wings, the more you can throw at me the happier i'll be lol. leading/trailing edge tweakables would be super, super rad.

Also regarding the textures, I'll be doing a tutorial on my stream at some point today as well. hopefully i'll motivate myself to make a quick edit of a recording to toss up on youtube. we'll just have to see lol.

I did a test of pWing recently. Seems a delta-wing piece behaves just the same as a non-pWing delta wing of the same size. The pWings defines FAR parameters in the same fashion Ferram4 defined the stock parts. So the pWings are as correct as the stock parts at least. Above that, you need to dig into FAR's algorithm.

i'd like to second the request for more tweakable features of the wings

I think what you suggested are in the FAR domain instead of pWing domain.

BTW NathanKell told me you are working on fuselage systems supports for RF?

Edited by camlost

I did a test of pWing recently. Seems a delta-wing piece behaves just the same as a non-pWing delta wing of the same size. The pWings defines FAR parameters in the same fashion Ferram4 defined the stock parts. So the pWings are as correct as the stock parts at least. Above that, you need to dig into FAR's algorithm.

I think what you suggested are in the FAR domain instead of pWing domain.

BTW NathanKell told me you are working on fuselage systems supports for RF?

This is true, but so far I've not much to report, its something that i'm working on more long-term as with most of the parts i normally use (b9, pwings.. not much else;) seems like they're at least somewhat close to expected values. Except (imo) cockpits, which i think may be on the order of 3-5x heavier than they should be, though the maths that would prove me reasonable is still in the works.

You're right. Ferram4 confirmed it to be just a naming issue.

Meanwhile ...

AnVVGwi.jpg

Textures are getting better.

Now i better wait for a sign of life from DYJ before making further additions.

I am new to PWings (read, I've had it for ages, but haven't created any spaceplanes since 0.20).

Is there some simple tutorial on proper use? So far I am shaping the wings so that I can get proper CoM/CoL positions, but all those more intricate designs seem so hard to do.

For example I can't get rid of the this part of the wing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuzjq0agjsnyh6m/Screenshot%202014-04-27%2018.51.13.png

And the procedural control surfaces look terrible, since they snap onto the wing, but not to this edge, so they clip and end up looking awful:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsjzo04z9x0dwv8/Screenshot%202014-04-27%2018.51.07.png

I am using FAR, so I guess any suggestions for making my craft should take this into account.

@SanAlphaTau: Works for me.

@smunisto: This is normal behaviour for PWings. You can only avoid it by making the wing shorter. For FAR i think it would appear as it is - partial overlap between wing and control surface. No idea how FAR deals with it but it seems to work reasonably well.

(Don't get confused by my pictures. These are from a personal hack which i hope DYJ can integrate some day.)

I've skimmed the thread and couldn't find a solution. I'm having a problem with the procedural control surfaces. The wings work fine, but whenever I go from the SPH to the runway the side and shape of all of my control surfaces resets. It also happens when I load a previously saved plane in the SPH.

This is my first day using this mod, so far I've tried removing other mods that could be causing a conflict but it hasn't helped.

Here's a picture of what it looks like after they reset

http://i.imgur.com/GenI1PT.png

Sorry for the double reply, more info.

It seems that deactivating the Tweakable Everything mod fixes the problem. This creates a new problem for me though because I can't tweak my control surfaces now. I hope this gets fixed soon (by whoever's end the problem is on) because with FAR tweakable control surface angles are pretty important.

The controls only work while my mouse is hovering directly over the piece. For example, when I hover over a piece and hit the "G" key I lose control as I approach the edge of the wing. So, to stretch a wing out or change its shape, it takes something like 10 attempts to get any significant change.

Is there something I can do to fix this?

I for some reason, this mod doesn't want to work with my Mac (e.g it only lets me edit the height of the wing, not length or width) in essence, I can't make these amazing wings useful. Does anyone how to fix this please?

Is anyone developing pWing now? I hope all parameters be set with tweakables.

Also it's a good idea to set weight per area for wings, and make it proportional to the dynamic pressure limit in FAR. Low-speed planes should be able to have less mass than supersonic wings. Otherwise it's impossible to make solar-powered planes for example, if realistic engine data is used. That's what I found when balancing for the electric propeller engines for AJE

This is actually an important feature and would be great if it's done

Edited by camlost