[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

I've been receiving Null Reference Errors when trying to connect the procedural wings basic control surface to any wings whether they are stock, B9 or procedural etc.

This happened to me too just now, and I believe it has to do with ferram8's NEAR / FAR being installed, as I just now added NEAR to my GameData folder, and I see FAR in Funkeh's list of addons. Also, right after this happens, the editor goes all wonky, and you won't be able to really delete parts or attach new ones.

my latest KSP.log (SPH session starts at around 18:10:42)

Hope that helps! I really would like to play with NEAR, and a spaceplane without procedural wings would look too crappy...

ninja I just realized it's more likely to be a problem in NEAR and FAR, as, according to Funkeh, it seems to happen on all wings, and not just procedural wings (didn't test yet).

Edited by macTijn

NEAR and FAR are not the same thing; that's kinda the point. As the OP points out, these wings do support FAR, have supported FAR for over a year, and in that time there have not been posts talking about how they break with FAR.

NEAR and FAR are not the same thing; that's kinda the point. As the OP points out, these wings do support FAR, have supported FAR for over a year, and in that time there have not been posts talking about how they break with FAR.

Hi NathanKell, nice of you to chime in, I'm a big fan of your work.

I realize that FAR is not NEAR, but glancing at the codebase at github it seems NEAR uses a lot of FAR code, and so I mistakenly expected some compatibility here, and adding with Funkeh's bug report I suspected both NEAR and FAR causing the trouble.

I'll prod and poke some more when I get home tonight.

I managed to "solve" this issue by removing and reinstalling FAR. Weird that it fixed it as I was using the same version before as now, yet I'll not complain!

Nice! Happy KSP'ing :)

I'd like to report a bug.

When I copied my horizontal stabilizers to make a single vertical stabilizer, it made a duplicate over it. Each time I remove the duplicate part and then save the craft I get the following:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lclrup8455lsq8e/2014-08-21_00001.jpg

My controlls are entirely stuck and there is no way to get out except for stopping the Kerbal Space Program process. When I restart Kerbal Space Program and I load the craft, it's just like it was before with the duplicate parts over eachother.

Keeping the clipped parts isn't a solution either because either I got something like the screenshot beneath, or exploding parts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhiyha4qy7xj6gb/2014-08-21_00002.jpg

Thanks for the great work! I have some ideas regarding this great mod:

From a Aero Engineer's point of view, it would be great to have manual input/adjust of certain parameters beside the dragging function.

I would LOVE to see adjustable parameters like root and tip chord length, semi span, mid-span sweep (or simply root LE distance from tip LE) etc.

and it would be even greater to have root and tip chord thickness as ratios of chord (t/c) rather than absolute thickness!

Just imagine a right click menu with adjustable numbers for Cr, Ct, b/2, t/c®, t/c(t) and sweep distance!

If I dare ask more, I would say individual root and tip chord install/twist angle would be nice. if wing twist is too difficult for FAR implementation, at least have a fine adjustable install angle.

This also helps fine setting of the horizontal tail plane angle, so we can trim the aircraft to a certain Cl(speed) in the hanger! How cool is that! :)

And... fuel in the wing would be awesome! doesn't need to be a lot, can be as low as 40-50% of the volume. This would open a whole new door for aircraft designs!

This is a wonderful mod, my favorite procedural by far.

I have a minor interface suggestion: Would it be possible to have the resizing/repositioning done by keyboard as well as by mouse? I was thinking mouseover + R, T or G + arrow keys, with the mouse remaining stationary over the part. I think this would reduce the repeated click and drag.

This is a wonderful mod, my favorite procedural by far.

Not sure if i would even want to decide if proc fairing or proc wings is better. Great stuff in any case, makes plane construction so much more fun. Now i can actually manually modify plane's on the fly and check what FAR thinks of that stuff.

Thanks for the great work! I have some ideas regarding this great mod:

From a Aero Engineer's point of view, it would be great to have manual input/adjust of certain parameters beside the dragging function.

As for that aspect -- check out the right-click menu when in the SPH... ;)

Is there an issue with the procedural control surfaces? They don't seem to want to attach to anything and bug out when you try.

Edit: never mind I can see this is a known issue

Edit2: I fixed this issue. It was due to the pre-release version of FAR. Installing the latest stable version removed the bug for me.

Edited by Spagoose

So, to start with, amazing mod! I love procedural parts in general, but this one takes the cake among them.

I wanted to just drop in, voice my support, report some bugs, and make some suggestions (so likely nothing you haven't heard before, lol)

A couple bugs to report:

-The Center of Mass sometimes inexplicably becomes skewed in symmetry mode with the wings. The only solution for this I have found is starting an entirely new craft and hoping the bug doesnt crop up (or load to a previously non-bugged save, after restarting the game)

-I remember a time when Proc Wing parts were available from very early on in the tech tree, and more scaling/options came up as you advanced. It seems that now, the first proc Wing part I get is near the end of the tree. Which sadly means I can't get rid of the boatload of custom wing parts leading up to proc Wings... :( Not sure if this is a bug or not, but it does diminish the value of the mod for me personally.

-When the middle of the wing part (probably it's original mesh) is outside the camera view, the wings don't render (it's probably not fix-able, and very minor, but just thought I'd mention it)

The first two bugs are my only real complaints for the mod; it's brilliant otherwise!

Feature wishlist:

-Preset shapes; possibly user configurable (via tweakable, custom UI, or some other management).

-Solar panels on tops of wings (increase weight and cost. produce power. preferably with texture change)

-Fuel-filled wings (increasing weight & cost (fuel aside), decreasing strength)

-Optional mono-directional or omni-directional heat shielding (increasing weight and cost, preferably with texture change)

-Different materials (via tweakables) with different costs, weights, and strengths (Aluminum, Titanium, Alloys, etc)

-Ability to alter lift/drag by changing the leading/trailing edge and overall shape front-to-back of the wing (Not sure how this would interact with vanilla or FAR; I admit technical ignorance here)

-Lift rating indicator (as applicable in right-click menu; would be nice to know how much I'm getting out of my design more exactly. FAR kindof already does this though)

Do I expect any of the features? No. I've done mods myself (for other games), it's no small task to upkeep and add to them. But perhaps my feedback will be helpful when you find the time and desire to expand the mod again!

Edited by dreadicon