[In progress] Mission Patch / Flag generator

FXhoHs2.png

Introduction

This is a mission patch / flag generator. It will be used a little bit the same way that the game Call of Duty manage their emblem (

).

You will then be able to download the image you made to use it as you want. This is still work in progress and is still not publicly available.

How does it look?

Here is a screenshot (Warning: big image) : http://i.imgur.com/lTEQrvU.png

(Do not mind the design, I haven't work on it a lot for the moment)

(Many tools, as you can see, are not yet ready)

Example:

With only the three starting shapes, I managed to make a simple pacman :)

0Vfuf0l.png

How can I help you?

There are many things you can do to help me.

• You can also give constructive feedback, suggestions and ideas.
  • One of the most useful thing you could do is suggest is some shapes idea. Keep in mind that every shapes need to be quite simple, be monochromatic. (So no things like a Kerbal walking on EVA on a planet holding something, this is not simple)
  • If you know how to work with SVG and javascript, you could help me to convert this so it generate SVG images.

Edited by Moustachauve

I dont want to sound like an ass or anything.... but why would i limit myself to shapes when i can open up GIMP, photoshop, or even paint and drop down shapes with more freedom, then even add drawings, do more complex things ect.

just a question

Edited by GalaxyGryphon

I dont want to sound like an ass or anything.... but why would i limit myself to shapes when i can open up GIMP, photoshop, or even paint and drop down shapes with more freedom, then even add drawings, do more complex things ect.

just a question

This is supposed to make things easier and faster for those who would have a harder time created flags.

I'll totally use it! Can't wait for it!
I second that

Thank you :D

Eagerly awaiting this! I hope you add text to it- I can't wait to design NASA mission patches with the astronaut names circled around the rim, reading KERMAN KERMAN KERMAN KERMAN

Text will definitely come around sometime ;)

Please put a link to here somewhere: http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1ej0yo/because_all_the_horrible_flag_designs_are_hurting/

I've seen some pretty poorly made flags.

I want people to be free to make everything they want, sorry :/

Is there anyway there could be a rendering of different planets? (With flat colors)

I will ask Chobit, as she is graciously making the shapes for me :P

just a question

This is supposed to make things easier and faster for those who would have a harder time created flags.

Exactly, this tool will be useful for people like me who find it very hard to do nice things with Gimp (I'm really bad at editing images, just look at my signature).

Edited by Moustachauve

[*]One of the most useful thing you could do is suggest is some shapes idea. Keep in mind that every shapes need to be quite simple, be monochromatic. (So no things like a Kerbal walking on EVA on a planet holding something, this is not simple)

patches_big.jpg

I posted it in March but then the April came and destroyed everything. I hope it will be useful!

Edited by czokletmuss

I want that. :) I can do it all by hand, but that would take me the time I could spend flying the mission instead or designing ships for it, both activities I enjoy more than graphical design.

All of the patch images I see here seem to be constructed in a specific structure, with very few exceptions:

1. Central symbol, commonly a silhouette of a specific spacecraft, sometimes the mission objective.
  2. A ring of descriptive text around the central symbol, not necessarily round.
  3. A background, sometimes solid color, other times containing the mission objective.

To smoothly generate something that is useful, you need to handle this structure, and provide a selection of options for every part of it. Central symbol and background are obvious and easy enough, the most programmatically annoying part to get right will be the text, since you'll actually have to code that. :)

A specific suggestion, though: Look into programmatically generating SVG and then converting it into a PNG of the appropriate size and shape. That should take care of the text issue nicely with existing libraries, and give you a scaleable vector-based image as a byproduct, which could then be used otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.