Mission to Jool

Tokay Gris

Here it is... my exploring mission to "Big J".

On this first attempt, I didn't have any landings in mind. Just exploring, orbiting, mapmaking... the pre-works for following manned (kerbaled?) missions.

So the idea was to put four probes around the four moons with fuel to spare to get a good look at the big boy. Named after the god of handkerchieves, the ability to drink more than you can handle and nights WITHOUT white satins....

First part was easy: Put a carrier into orbit that can do that.

Here it is: The DSV "Dum Vivimus Vivamus"!

screenshot151.png

Still on the launchpad. Pretty heavy as it is, so the six boosterpacks were needed. It still needs to be refueled in orbit since it burns part of its actual "travel" fuel while lifting, as you can see here.

screenshot171.png

Each probe is equipped with the usual instruments, plus an ISA-mapper and a kethane mapper. As for fuel each has a nuclear engine that packs quite a bit of delta-V and an iondrive with even more delta-V. Well... a bit overpowered concerning delta-V, but what the hell... those babies (DSP "Lazarus" A, B, C and D) can each explore the Kerbol system on its own.

screenshot181.png

Here, it still has it's orbital engine attached. It will be jettisoned after docking on the "Dum Vivimus".

Docking there is pretty narrow. The accessory fueltanks for the nuclear engine only fit in past the stabilizing struts if turned the right way.

screenshot190.png

screenshot202.png

After docking all the probes and refuelling, the orbital modules and engines are jettisoned, the aiding OT "Mule" is waved good bye and we are ready to go!

screenshot223.png

And here it is, in all its beauty, ready to go and laggy as hell!

screenshot227.png

I will tell you more how the mission went when the window to Jool arrives.

Thanks. It is laggy as hell and my computer is not one of the slowest.

Also, the journey will be tricky... It will require aerobracking at Jool. If that works out, I should have enough delta-V to make it back without the need of a tanker in transit.

Hm... after doing some calculations, it seems I should send some fuel tankers along.

And probably find out how to do a rendevous in transit. Or take down two of the probes and add Tanks instead.

Although it was such a nice idea, it will mean to trash them completely. Or send them somewhere on their own. Because they have no capability to reattach them.

Hm... so either refuel in transit, jettison two probes or attach a bunch of big tanks on top of the "Dum Vivimus" and hope that one docking port will keep them there.

Refuelling at Jool should be simple. But that might not be enough.

Thats why i pay attention to place at least one, easily accessible docking port on my interplanetary ships. Even best laid plan does not guarantee you will not have to send tanker to refuel on the other side of the system.

Exactly. I do have one right at the top.

I also tend to stick a docking port on my big center stages, since I almost always leave them half full.

And from time to time it is nice to have additional fuel not far away, even if its marked "debris".

I managed to get a probe into Orbit around one of Jool's moons on my first attempt........however I was aiming for Eve so I cannot claim that as a success or really brag :/

Awesome looking ship I can't wait to hear more about the mission progress good luck :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.