Opinions on 0.20

tstehler1

Planted a flag on the mun the first 15 minutes. The textures looks great, but somehow I notice some kind of wierd microstutter or perhaps it's just a low frame rate... Hmmm... My rig should run this game easily, especially since I didn't build huge rockets. Something is awry, me thinks.

Has anybody had any issues actually...sitting in the seat? I cannot for the life of me get it to work. Apart from that, the update is really slick. I'm liking what the knowledge base seems to be, and what the future will hold. It's now possible to fly entirely in map view, which is very useful too, and I do like the new IVAs (well done Claira!).

The textures looks great, but somehow I notice some kind of wierd microstutter or perhaps it's just a low frame rate... Hmmm... My rig should run this game easily, especially since I didn't build huge rockets. Something is awry, me thinks.

I see that, too. My video card seems to be under a lighter load, but I still get a lot of stutter, especially zooming around. The game is still seriously CPU bound, even with a 3.6GHz quad core.

So far, so good.

Except I was wondering how the Game Database helped with memory usage exactly.

I still cant load all the hundreds of parts I want to load on my 8 gigs of RAM.

I still run out of RAM when attempting to do so

Edited by Rhino1998

After clean install, it ran smooth as silk. After putting my mods and save back in, it lags horribly so something is not compatible. I guess I'll have to figure out what mods are creating the ruckus.

Looking good so far, seems to have smoothed out the lag on launch nicely and off to plant flags tomorrow :D

Has there been a slight tweak to the aerodynamics? I'm sure some of my stock lifters are using a whole lot more fuel to get to my 125km parking orbit. My lil satellite launcher used to reach orbit happily with one stage remaining to help the satellite on it's way - now it needs the whole lot (plus some delta v from the satellite payload) to make it's way up there.

My lag was so bad the load screen took forever and was choppy. Once in I couldn't even build anything in the VAB. Parts couldn't even hardly drag out of the menu.

In Steam I deleted local content, deleted the Kerbal folder from the Steam directory and re-installed. Runs great now.

My opinion is that this update is ok, a few things to see but nothing amazing. Performance improvement is good, 7 new parts which IMO are pretty useless, Flags..Meh and the new graphical enhancements are nice. I suppose this update was good but for the time it took to release with such little content in the terms of gameplay, i am dissapointed. However im willing to accept that SQUAD is working on otherstuff, which is why i am hoping that we get more substantual gameplay material in the next updates which should occour sooner (since they have been working on these things in the background). I rate this update a 6/10.

None of the mods work, so kinda sucky for now...

Will have to wait for the mods to get updated, even the Kethane one didnt even work anymore.

Just sucks in general at this moment.

It's probably due to the changes in loading

It's just wait until the modders update their masterpieces (which shouldn't take so long) and we are good to go :D

From early testing, I'm seeing large FPS improvements when launching ships with many parts. My big 800 part ship has gone from average of 3-4 FPS to 9-11 FPS, HUGE difference in flyability. I can finally carry out my EVE return mission! Thanks SQUAD! :) I hate to be the guy pining away for the next update after this one has just come out, but I REALLY look forward to future optimizations to make the game even smoother.

I like the updates to the menus; parts are cool. The combination of flags, rover wheels and seats has led me to start a new mission to land a new manned rover on every planet :) Also, the new larger docking port should make big space stations and large tugs easier to build.

All in all, this update seems like a series of solid improvements! :)

Not happy with the initial tests... you can delete your 'node' (your first part), which pretty much stops you dead in your tracks, you can't add a new one, and you can't doing anything with the rest of the ship.

I'm liking it so far, started out with a clean save and have just finished an apollo style mun mission. Got to put up a flag and make a plaque, but then I did 'fly ship' on it to take a look after the mission was done, and accidentally did end-flight ;.;

Stock testing - very nice, fast start up (with nice new graphic and gigglesome phrases), nice new parts, v cool that you can start a craft with non-command pod parts now. Textures seem improved round the water edge and mountains look nicer. Good performance, win win.

some odd one offs;

on first start it said this is the latest version (0.19.1), this update requires a full download... Although it had the correct version number in the corner. wtf.

kSxCCEDm.jpg

when going EVA on the launch pad and walking around the camera shook violently, but that hasn't happened again since.

mod testing - extraordinarily slow start up (with my gargantuan mod collection). many mod parts' textures are messed up (nova punch tanks for one, some engines, I think even stock ones have no texture). Damned Robotics has died (that alone is reason to stay on 0.19.1 for me). I loaded mod craft in the VAB ok but game died when trying to launch it, even with a reset persistence file.

(I might not be installing mods correctly now, not sure how they should be structured).

So I'm prob staying on 0.19.1 for now, I have unfinished business. BUT, I'm not complaining, I'd still say "Good Job Squad, I'm still a fan!"

I'm liking it so far, started out with a clean save and have just finished an apollo style mun mission. Got to put up a flag and make a plaque, but then I did 'fly ship' on it to take a look after the mission was done, and accidentally did end-flight ;.;

Well on the plus side your flag stays. :D

I'm liking the new version so far, I don't notice many different things (besides the obvious flag planting, parts, the info system and some UI and loading tweaks) I'm guessing this version is more of an under-the-hood update.

Has anybody had any issues actually...sitting in the seat? I cannot for the life of me get it to work. Apart from that, the update is really slick. I'm liking what the knowledge base seems to be, and what the future will hold. It's now possible to fly entirely in map view, which is very useful too, and I do like the new IVAs (well done Claira!).

Have you tried right-clicking the seat?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.