Opinions on 0.20

tstehler1

Simply disapointing

+: starts faster

graaphics

docking port sr.

<>new file system - easiaer to erase the mod files, but unevitable duplications

- bugs(2 found in half an hour:

ion engine doesn't glow up, and produce traction instead of propulsion!

mouse scrolling down doesn't zoom in!

- disapointing new pods: is the designer of the landing pod's IVA ever landed using IVA? What a (CENSORED) stupid put the speed and navball up, the altradar down-left, the vertical speed up-left? When landing these must strictly garded and they don't be able seen on a static screen! The old 2 personed landing pod has only 3 gadgets these - pedantly side by side on the frame of the window!

- the seat can not be used as pod? DEMV MK3 seat is more useable...

- Falg planting - at least should be made more refinedly...

Tested on LinuxMint13

You're probably using the ion engine wrong. Mine works just fine. I can also scroll just fine.

Stock performance is great, however I was crashing like crazy until I got rid of my mods.

I reinstalled remotetech, mapsat, chatterer, crewmanifest, and a few others. All seems well, although to be honest I was hoping that the performance improvements would allow the game to load more parts without becoming unstable, while it would seem as though the opposite is in fact true.

In a nutshell, the update is pretty decent for those who are stock or near-stock, however I would say it's actually less stable for the mod-happy folks. There are some nice new features and a few new parts, but most of the changes are behind-the-scenes. Important, but far from exciting.

Also, my saved game was hopelessly corrupted as .20 didn't recognize the KAS connector and several other parts that have been included in nearly every vessel that I've launched.

Oh, and the nodes were all screwed up on most parts that I had rescaled, and a lot of textures became uncooperative, but such is the risk for those of us who enjoy mods.

There's a few interface changes that I love, which some of you may not be aware of.

• Clicking on a ship will bring up a set as target/switch to dialogue box. What's great about this is that it seems to actually select the ship you've clicked, even if it shares an orbit with something else.
  • Clicking on pe/ap markers will cause the tooltips to remain in place as long as you're in the map view. This allows for fine tuning of maneuver nodes and makes it easier to eyeball a correction burn.

In my game I have a probe and a space station in the same orbit. When I click on their orbits, it seems to select the station, while in 0.19 and before it would always select space junk. There might be a heirarchy to vessels with higher ranked ships (eg space stations) being selected over lower ranked ships (probes, junk). Not sure about that one.

I think the planet high orbit texture resolution was lowered a bit too far. It's a real shame when you see what the Mun looks like from 50,000m. I think the textures at low orbit/surface look amazing. The change from the surface to low res textures in high orbit is too extreme. There needs to be an intermediate texture level (or allow us the option the choose), as obviously we're going to be spending a lot of time near the planets. Overall though I've been having fun with this update, and have had no major bugs so far.

Well, I can't seem to get full screen to work properly. But other than that, It seems awesome.

Edit: Also, in your sig, you spelled Murderlyzation wrong.

You need to press ALT+ENTER after setting fullscreen for some reason. But once you do, it works fine, and the setting sticks.

I have mixed feelings after playing with this update..

On the plus side, I can see the game running smoother, that is a nice improvement.

Extra parts are good, seats are fun.

On the downside, I can't dock anything without risking it blowing up, which is a bit of a game breaker atm.

Pros:

- New parts

- Performance increase, at least not when around Kerbin/Duna/Eve/Laythe (atmospheres are evil)

- Whack-A-Kerbal in the debug menu, which has now been added to with other stuff I fear to touch

- The Tracking Station is now pretty much perfect, complete with filtering AND a clock

- Flags; I honestly wasn't expecting them to actually act as markers :o

Cons:

- Parts of the interface flicker, most noticeably the entire screen when I click launch

- Flags are all blurry on low res :( We need separate detail options for these things

Well, new wheels sux. I mean, they are nice looking, have nice power output, they are harde to break, but you cannot really attach them to anything usefully, since they had low susspenssion so your rover is few cm above ground, if you try to use struts and H beams or such, you cant ever pull full throttle because those wheels have so much torque, that they will rip themselves off... :/

This is only case I can actually speed up fully, but its still kinda low:

ksp2013052322540732.png

I'm not really sure how to use them, when I put back those orange donut wheels, they are slower but much better to actually drive with. I guess with some large part-heavy mods you can find something useful...

I love the new wheels. If you're moving such large heavy parts then neither of the medium sized wheels are what I would consider suitable. Check out the rover megathread, there's plenty of examples of excellent rovers using the new wheels. I tried them on my own rover, they are awesome. In a few hours I'll have screenshots and craft files for ya ;)

There's a few interface changes that I love, which some of you may not be aware of.

• Clicking on a ship will bring up a set as target/switch to dialogue box. What's great about this is that it seems to actually select the ship you've clicked, even if it shares an orbit with something else.
  • Clicking on pe/ap markers will cause the tooltips to remain in place as long as you're in the map view. This allows for fine tuning of maneuver nodes and makes it easier to eyeball a correction burn.

In my game I have a probe and a space station in the same orbit. When I click on their orbits, it seems to select the station, while in 0.19 and before it would always select space junk. There might be a heirarchy to vessels with higher ranked ships (eg space stations) being selected over lower ranked ships (probes, junk). Not sure about that one.

I think the planet high orbit texture resolution was lowered a bit too far. It's a real shame when you see what the Mun looks like from 50,000m. I think the textures at low orbit/surface look amazing. The change from the surface to low res textures in high orbit is too extreme. There needs to be an intermediate texture level (or allow us the option the choose), as obviously we're going to be spending a lot of time near the planets. Overall though I've been having fun with this update, and have had no major bugs so far.

Thanks for those interface tips, I didn't know about those at all!

It's growing on me. It will be much simpler in future when updating mods.

The new wheels are perfect for an amphibious probe I was making, and the seats are cool too.

-snip-

Great tips! I had no idea about these. The improvement on the ap/pe markers is a tremendous help. Thanks!

Runs smoother. Love it!

Yeah I'm going to second that (again). I just put up a 600 part ship, and though there was still some framerate drop, it was a lot more tolerable this time around than it had been under .19. Definite improvement!

I bodged together a ~450 part monstrosity and kept an overhead (looking down on the water) camera on it the whole way to orbit, and experienced only a minor frame rate degradation. This is one solid update!

Simply disapointing

graaphics

docking port sr.

- disapointing new pods: is the designer of the landing pod's IVA ever landed using IVA? What a (CENSORED) stupid put the speed and navball up, the altradar down-left, the vertical speed up-left? When landing these must strictly garded and they don't be able seen on a static screen! The old 2 personed landing pod has only 3 gadgets these - pedantly side by side on the frame of the window!

Tested on LinuxMint13

I'm sad to inform you of your lack of intelligence and your frequency of stupidity. The bugs with the Ion engine and mouse scrolling are non-existent for me. And the IVA's for the new pods are simply amazing. Yes. I agree that the navball should be lower, but you shouldn't insult the person who made them. I've had no problems landing with the IVA, and if you'd like to degrade someone else's work, then please, try to make it better. Oh. You can't.

I bodged together a ~450 part monstrosity and kept an overhead (looking down on the water) camera on it the whole way to orbit, and experienced only a minor frame rate degradation. This is one solid update!

See, I wish the people who are having issues and bashing the limited number of parts in this update would read posts like yours. Some people really don't understand how much work goes into adapting the code that represents what from the outside seems like a simple tradeoff between graphics and performance. That's to say nothing of the other changes that went into place to handle the new parts management system, AND the new Tracking Station capabilities, AND the new atmospheric physics.

Squad has done a top-notch job with this update, which is quite obviously a major set of "under the hood" fixes and updates!

To you people having issues: TRY IT WITHOUT COPYING YOUR MODS OVER FIRST!!Mods compatible with 0.19 are (almost) 100% NOT compatible with .20. Changes will need to be made at the configuration file level at the very least, in order to be 100% compatible now. Because of the broad scope of the changes made behind the scenes, best practice is to assume that every mod you were running previously is broken. If you know what you're doing, bring them over one by one and adapt them to work, or better yet, watch the forums/SpacePort for an updated release from the mod author before you try to run it.

One new behavior I like is that the game now starts loading from the very moment you see a new window. It's happening even while running through the Squad logo, which shaves off a few seconds right off the bat.

The new parts loading system also seems to be having some positive effect on load times as well. I don't see the process halting up on some of the big parts that it used to. Whatever voodoo they performed, it works well.

I'm running with five mods now. BobCat's Soviet pack, Crew Manifest (because my crew roster isn't complete without Pee Wee Kerman), FusTek, MechJeb2, and RLA Stockalike. No crashes, no framerate drop, nada. The Soyuz booster is performing smoother than ever before. Now if I can just get my Mercury & Gemini components back, along with NovaPunch and KW, I'll be a happy camper!

Simply disapointing

graaphics

docking port sr.

Tested on LinuxMint13

It would be much appreciated if you could format your posts into something a bit more readable, as it's kind of hard to understand exactly what you're trying to say. Also, you don't need to double post as there is an edit feature right at the bottom of your post. It's the one with a little pencil thing. As another point, if you don't like the way something is done, why no go over to The Development Section and see if a similar thing is being discussed. If not? Why not start a thread to bring it to the attention of the devs? They can't read minds, sometimes they need someone to say "Hey, this is out of order, and I think it would be better if XYZ."

I'm sad to inform you of your lack of intelligence and your frequency of stupidity. The bugs with the Ion engine and mouse scrolling are non-existent for me. And the IVA's for the new pods are simply amazing. Yes. I agree that the navball should be lower, but you shouldn't insult the person who made them. I've had no problems landing with the IVA, and if you'd like to degrade someone else's work, then please, try to make it better. Oh. You can't.

Hey now, the name calling and insults are really not uh, called for. Just, let's be nice okay?

Edited by M5000

Naaah. I think they're pretty called for. NWM DID say What a (CENSORED) stupid put the speed and navball up ...

Just because he said something does not make it okay for you to do similarly. Be the mature one and just end it before it starts.

Also, don't make me actually do mod-things. I don't want to have to do that if at all possible, but mark my words I will if you don't cool it off a notch.

Seriously trippytripp you need to take it down a notch and get back on topic.

Opinions on .20 are fine as long as they continue to abide by the forum's rules. Deliberately insulting another user is not relevant nor constructive.

On topic, I am quite pleased with .20 because of the improvements I've seen in scene transition, and load times.

Edited by shadowsutekh

Just because he said something does not make it okay for you to do similarly. Be the mature one and just end it before it starts.

Also, don't make me actually do mod-things. I don't want to have to do that if at all possible, but mark my words I will if you don't cool it off a notch.

Agreed. Let's cool things off a bit. Everyone knows two wrongs don't make a right. Two lefts do. :wink:

On a serious note, yeah. Chill. Address actions or lines of reasoning. Never attack the person. Never ever.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.