[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)

Talisar

Minor update HERE. Main post updated as well.

Changelog:

v3.12

- Updated masses for toroidal tanks, they are much lighter now (taniwha again to the rescue!)

- Increased node sizes for toroidal tanks and hubs to take advantages to changes in joints introduced by the KSP v0.23.5 update.

Thanks for the update ;).

I have a feeling that even though is is a very minor update (just a cfg edit), it is going to be pretty popular among the people who use the toroids. You've made the world a better place, taniwha :D

Talisar: and amongst those who like the look of the toroids, heard about their masses, then shied away. That said, I'm a little disappointed their mass ratios came out the way they did. I guess that wheel rim adds more surface area than it does volume.

Yeah, those are leftovers from when I first made TAC's resources work with MFT, and it really hasn't been revisited closely since. That needs to be updated, but I've been putting it off until TAC's impending switch to SI. If you change the utilization lines for the waste resources to 0.78207 they should balance correctly. I'll ensure that is fixed in the next patch, and thanks for reminding me about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, those are leftovers from when I first made TAC's resources work with MFT, and it really hasn't been revisited closely since. That needs to be updated, but I've been putting it off until TAC's impending switch to SI. If you change the utilization lines for the waste resources to 0.78207 they should balance correctly. I'll ensure that is fixed in the next patch, and thanks for reminding me about it.

I noticed utility tanks seem to fit way too little.

Here is my take on it. It's direct modification of the configs rather than a patch. Feel free to use as you please.

Basically adjusts the weight, and brings the tanks more inline with how much the EL and TAC containers can hold (well kind of, for TAC resourses it's around half so you'd fit around as much resource, but no waste resource). Well my best guesses anyway

There is a bug in TAC where if you add too much resources the Life support monitoring (and maybe the mod itself) breaks, due to number overflow.

I also noticed that you set basemass to -1, and then the tank mass to the density of the resource. The way I understand it, the mass of the tank, is the additional weight per tank, so it's a bit weird to see +70 tons for a tank, and then figure out it doesn't factor in anyway.

I just took a look. I don't know about the changes in basemass or mass, but the change in utilization looks good: it even goes towards accounting for solids vs fluids.

Thumbs up from me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cannot find anything in this thread on the following subject. I just upgraded to MFT 5.0.3. Has anyone else got a problem with Waste, WasteWater and CarbonDioxide in that they do not appear in the right click tweakables menu in the VAB, and so, you cannot set them to zero amounts? They do appear in the right click menu when you go to flight. The other 3 TAC resources seem to be fine, namely Oxygen, Water and Food. I cannot see anything wrong with the TALUTILITY tank definitions file (so is it actually a MFT problem?).

It is not a big problem for me as I have TAC fuel balancer mod which allows me to dump those wastes and I recognise that there are two big changes imminent (KSP 0.24 & SI for TACLS) thus making work on mods right now possibly a waste of time.

Anyway, if it is not a case of I have somehow broken it only on my install, then there might be something here that warrants fixing in the next release?

p.s. Still using and loving this mod :). I have also recently added your cargo transportation solutions which is excellent as well. Thanks.

Edited by Kaa253

Kaa253: I haven't looked, but they're probably not marked as tweakable in the TAC-LS configs (why would you want to add them?)

Perfect! Thank you. You are correct they are not marked as tweakable.

It is TACLS and not something from your tanks or from MFT. Now I understand why it is happening I can see several ways to get what I want into my craft designs, so it is not a problem.

Why would want to add an empty tank to collect them? Because the TACLS mod includes a "carbon extractor" that gives oxygen back from carbon dioxide and a "water purifier". There are also mods such as MKS which convert waste back into food (eventually). Recycling basically. It is generally possible to use a very small capacity container if you run the recyclers continuously.

No, I meant (the thinking behind the lack of tweakability) is "why would you want to add waste products to your ship?", not "why would you want to add storage for waste?". ie, I'm not actually asking you why you want to tweak them :)

I do only want storage for them but when I add them they are full tanks not empty tanks. This may be wrong and I may easily have broken something myself. I have over 70 mods installed and I have written a lot of mod manager scripts. I want to tweak them back to zero contents. When I upgraded MFT (v5?) it stopped showing separate text fields for maximum tank capacity amount and current amount. I thought it might be intentional as you can tweak the current content amount for most resources. Maybe I have broken MFT.

I expect KSP 0.24 at any moment and then I will be starting again from a clean un-modded install. When I add my favourite mods back in one by one I will see if I am getting the same result from MFT & Spherical tanks.

This works already with the 0.24 update. You will need to grab the new Firespitter plugin from the Firespitter 0.24 release and replace the one that comes with the download. Other than that, they are just parts and work fine for me. :D

Yeah, they are definitely not set up correctly, as they really didn't serve a purpose when I initially made the parts. I'm going to have to reinstall and update all of my stuff due to my extended absence (real life is inconvenient), but I'll try and get to it asap. As always, many thanks to taniwha for all the help keeping these packs useable.

Yeah, they are definitely not set up correctly, as they really didn't serve a purpose when I initially made the parts. I'm going to have to reinstall and update all of my stuff due to my extended absence (real life is inconvenient), but I'll try and get to it asap. As always, many thanks to taniwha for all the help keeping these packs useable.

:) you're back !

Any chance to get a mix made with old and new tanks (including structural parts) ?

I mean, take the better of the old and the newer releases. I have to check but AFAIR(emember) there are different structural parts in the old one, not sure :sealed:.

Talisar: I think I might have some time to run over the prices tonight (currently morning). If not (or if you beat me to it), my scheme is 2000/t+20% (2400/t) which puts the tank costs pretty close to stock tanks. Though perhaps spherical tanks should be a little more expensive (in theory, a little more difficult to build) and toroidal tanks somewhere in between.

And then there are the trusses etc.

Hey, have you considered using TweakScale with your mod? it would reduce the number of parts by a lot

I have been wondering this myself.

Please get back to me to let me know if you are working on a TweakScale .cfg for this pack, and if not, I will most likely start one.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.