[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)

Talisar

Jasmir, as the MFS docs point out, 1 unit of electric charge in the tank editor = 100EC. This is because 1 unit of EC _really_ shouldn't take up 1 unit of volume!

Mass is not added because Talisar set the basemass of the spherical tanks to -1, which tells MFS to not modify tank mass at all (which was proper, because Talisar already has the desired tank mass set in the part cfg)

Having updated the Legacy file to support your tanks. You can leave the current configs as they are if you want for ppl who don't use our MFS mod but still want to change the fuel in the tanks.

Kethane does only need to be added to your TALFUEL tank since Majiir is already providing support for the DEFAULT tank.

Until V4 gets released, heres the updated file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce69ykph72pks1b/Spherical_modularFuelTanks.cfg

Thanks Chestburster!

Awesome tanks !

I would love to use it for life support stuff but i cant see it on tech tree - sandbox is ok - do i need to do sth to have this mod in career mode ?

They should be showing up under Heavier Rocketry (Small) and Very Heavy Rocketry (Medium & Large) in career mode.

Looks great! :)

Do you plan to have a different set of textures like before? I liked the previous 'smooth' tanks.

It wouldn't be hard to implement, and make them swappable in the same manner that the detail colors are currently. I'm just not good at texturing :) Smooth textures would be in my wheelhouse though, so I'll put that option in the next update.

Updated to latest MFS (3.1) - now my spherical tanks hold very little volume at all (maybe 7 units of fuel for the biggest sphere) and weight next to nothing. I deleted the MFS bundled with this plugin, and installed the v3.1 instead. Any idea of what could be going wrong there ?

Updated to latest MFS (3.1) - now my spherical tanks hold very little volume at all (maybe 7 units of fuel for the biggest sphere) and weight next to nothing. I deleted the MFS bundled with this plugin, and installed the v3.1 instead. Any idea of what could be going wrong there ?

It looks like the configs for the tanks that are distributed with the MFS download have the "true" volumes I used in my custom tanktype.cfg, but have the tank types set to use default. They should be 200x higher in order to work with that setup (I intend to switch to that standard when I next update as well, for convenience). I'll send NathenKell a PM about it, but in the meantime, if you delete the GameData/ModularFuelTanks/Spherical_modularFuelTanks.cfg file they should work fine with the stock fuels. Or, you can manually go in and edit that cfg file thusly (Copy this and replace the entire text in the cfg with it):

// Half Spherical Tanks

@PART[TAL.Large.HalfSpherical.Tank.Fuel]
{
!MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks] {}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 22090
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Large.HalfSpherical.Tank.V2.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 22090
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Medium.HalfSpherical.Tank.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 2760
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Medium.HalfSpherical.Tank.V2.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 2760
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Small.HalfSpherical.Tank.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 818
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Small.HalfSpherical.Tank.V2.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 818
type = Default
}
}

// Spherical Tanks

@PART[TAL.Large.Spherical.Tank.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 44180
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Large.Spherical.Tank.V2.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 44180
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Medium.Spherical.Tank.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 5522
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Medium.Spherical.Tank.V2.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 5522
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Small.Spherical.Tank.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1636
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Small.Spherical.Tank.V2.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1636
type = Default
}
}

// Toroidal Tanks

@PART[TAL.Toroidal.Tank.Large.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 2960.8
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Toroidal.Tank.Medium.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 722.8
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.Toroidal.Tank.Small.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 46.2
type = Default
}
}

@PART[TAL.XLarge.Toroidal.Tank.Fuel]
{

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 9993
type = Default
}
}

// Legacy Tanks

@PART[HalfSphericalTankMedium]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 2400
type = Default
}
}

@PART[HalfSphericalTankSmall]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 711
type = Default
}
}

@PART[SphericalRingedTankLarge]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 38400
type = Default
}
}

@PART[SphericalTankLarge]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 38400
type = Default
}
}

@PART[SphericalTankMedium]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 4800
type = Default
}
}

@PART[SphericalTankSmall]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1422
type = Default
}
}

@PART[HalfSphericalMonoTankMedium]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1790
type = RCS
}
}

@PART[HalfSphericalMonoTankSmall]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 530
type = RCS
}
}

@PART[SphericalMonoTankMedium]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 3580
type = RCS
}
}

@PART[SphericalMonoTankSmall]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1065
type = RCS
}
}

I believe that will get them functioning correctly for you.

Edited by Talisar

The dry weights on the toroidal tanks seem pretty far off compared to the spheres and most parts found elsewhere. For example the small toroidal tank from this pack holds roughly twice the fuel of the tiny stock toroidal tank, yet the dry mass is 11 times higher. The required hub makes it even worse. I haven't installed MFS beyond what was bundled with this mod, so I don't think I'm experiencing the same problem mentioned by Surefoot.

Is this functioning as intended?

Edited by XanderTek

This is as intended, actually. The mass to volume ratio of toroids is horrendous compared to that of spheres (or cylinders, for that matter). There was a big discussion about it ten or fifteen pages back.

That being said, if you change the masses in the cfg to anything other than -1 (the current setting) then the MFS plugin should figure the dry mass as a function of the volume, not the surface area. This would make it a bit less realistic imo, but probably make them easier to use.

I can understand the toroidals being a bit heavier, but in my opinion the current numbers are sort of excessive. From a gameplay standpoint it just makes it very difficult to justify using them. Anyway, no big deal. If it's working as intended I'll just modify mine.

I'm not entirely clear on how to get MFS to calculate the dry masses though. Both the spherical and toroidal tanks simply have mass defined under standard part parameters in their cfg files. I don't see anything set to -1, and the "basemass" variable does not appear to be in use.

Edited by XanderTek

I'm not at my home computer atm, but if I recall correctly you have to go to the /gamedata/ModsByTal/FuelTank/Resources folder, and open up the tanktypes.cfg in there. The entries there will have a "basemass = -1" line on them, and if you just add a // to the beginning of that line then the plugin should recalculate the masses to lower numbers for you based on the contents.

I'm pretty sure that's the correct method, but I'll doublecheck when I get back to my gaming rig if that doesn't work.

-edit- That won't affect the masses of the hubs, but the tank masses should be low enough that the hubs won't matter at that point.

-edit 2- Just checked it, and the method above would be the way to comment out the basemass lines.

Edited by Talisar

Great mod! Just tested it out and all was good except for the tac life support.

When trying to fill the resource tanks it wouldn't fill. However, when I tried to add oxygen from the ironcross life support it did...

So I got to digging around and I found the issue: Tac life support does not call it's resources "oxygen_TAC" or "food_TAC", it's just "oxygen" etc.

Changed it in the resources cfg and all was good.

I can understand the toroidals being a bit heavier, but in my opinion the current numbers are sort of excessive. From a gameplay standpoint it just makes it very difficult to justify using them. Anyway, no big deal. If it's working as intended I'll just modify mine.

I support your point of view, and I have modified mine for a while now.

I used 3D software to put it to the test, and the discrepancy, and excessive weight, is quite clear in my opinion.

A torus with inner boundary of 0.625m in diameter, and 0.3125m inner radius (1.25m outer boundary diameter), simulating the ROUND-8 stock toroidal tank, results in a surface area of 2.86m² and a volume of 0.22m³.

A second torus, with inner boundary of 1.25m in diameter, but still 0.3125m inner radius, simulating this mod's "TO-S-1" small toroidal tank, results in a surface area of 4.77m² and a volume of 0.36m³.

The realistic ratios are thus 1.66783216783 for surface area, and 1.6363 (...) for volume. Since the ROUND-8 toroidal tanks weights 0.136 tons, that gives us a total mass of 0.22682517482 or 0.22254 (...) tons, respectively, for this mod's "TO-S-1" tank. Nowhere near the 1.5 tons currently used.

Oh, and BTW, all this weight for the current volume of 0.231m³, much closer to the much smaller ROUND-8 (10 LF + 12.2 O = 22.2 L, thus 0.0222m³ for stock in-game tank. Or 0.22m³ as of the 3D software) than the real volume of 0.36m³.

Love these parts. They look great and work real nice and I love them. Did I mention the love I have for these tanks?

Here's a ship I put together with them, it nearly got to Duna and back. A few tweaks and it's easy mode.

CE39FB49F1154C4BB7EB429A0F658E010C8DB175

EA54D3FE99C3B349AB707691EEF5FD5CA17E563A

DF2F132B87A96A1E53F85784D1875F0B3FDF4EA5

634DCC67EE9EC979FDF3FD45230D0DC39B12C1BE

Talisar, I miss the old-style white tanks. Could you release a white pack? If you wanted to do just a one-off without mods, it would be great to have the small LFO tank, 4 of those would fit in perfectly on the space ship I'm building. I tried re-texturing the small tank in your current pack, but I don't have the skills.

This needs to be updated for the current TAC lifesupport, since it doesn't use the tag TAC_Water, TAC_Food, ect. anymore.
Talisar, I miss the old-style white tanks. Could you release a white pack? If you wanted to do just a one-off without mods, it would be great to have the small LFO tank, 4 of those would fit in perfectly on the space ship I'm building. I tried re-texturing the small tank in your current pack, but I don't have the skills.

I'm planning on doing an update on the pack in the next couple of days, to bring it up to speed with the current MFT version. (I planned on doing it a couple of weeks ago, but I got busy at work and my limited free time was taken up by the XCOM expansion :blush:). At the same time, I'll update the TAC resources to match his new ones. As far as the white tank style, It won't be hard to add an option to switch textures for the tanks in the same manner as I did the colored rings, so I'll put that in as well. I'm guessing you are looking for a "clean" white texture like the original, without the textural embellishments that I've been playing with?

If I wanted to add additional resources beyond whats already given, e.g. Lithium, can I just edit the TankTypes.cfg under Resources or will I need to recompile modular fuel tanks?

You can just add it into the TankTypes.cfg. Should work just fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.