Minmus

Ironwatsas

Minmus is clearly a scoop of delicious mint ice-cream dropped by The Creator at the dawn of time. Honestly, you people and your crackpot theories... :D

That's what a friend said, that it looked like a scoop of ice cream :D Personally I think it looks like it's made out of blue-green styrofoam :D

• 4 weeks later...
Minmus is actually quite logical. It's a large ball of frozen methane and rock. Due to it's small mass, and therefore lack of atmosphere, it's basically Titan but much smaller.

It would be nowhere near cold enough around Kerbin for methane to be frozen.

Even water ice is a bit iffy because Minmus lacks an atmosphere. The equilibrium temperature at Kerbin's distance from its sun is probably below the freezing point of water (assuming Kerbin's atmosphere provides it with a greenhouse effect similar to Earth's), and the equilibrium for Minmus will be even lower because all that ice gives it a very high albedo. But it's still close enough to the freezing point of water that the sublimation rate should be pretty high in a vacuum. The Magratheans could fix this, of course.

Even water ice is a bit iffy because Minmus lacks an atmosphere. The equilibrium temperature at Kerbin's distance from its sun is probably below the freezing point of water (assuming Kerbin's atmosphere provides it with a greenhouse effect similar to Earth's), and the equilibrium for Minmus will be even lower because all that ice gives it a very high albedo. But it's still close enough to the freezing point of water that the sublimation rate should be pretty high in a vacuum. The Magratheans could fix this, of course.

Well, I was quoting the dev that explained Minmus when it came out, and they (I think Harv) said solid methane lakes.

I just looked up the freezing point of methane, and it's -182 C, and the Moon can get to -181 C, so while the lakes would melt, they can also freeze (it's farther out, and therefore less tidal heating, so the lakes may be capable of freezing).

Ahh, skeptics~, if it were made of Salt, where is the giant potato chip or french fry planet orbiting it?

There's overwhelming evidence in favor of Minmus being the seed of the harbinger of madness and doom to us all. I mean, it's taught in Kerbin Elementary School!

Anyhow, the prevailing theory of my engineering staff has been "Drill for Kethane NOW!", so once my space stations and orbital probes are re-built from the 0.20 update. I'll begin landing an expedition to Minmus once the rest is out of the way (flag on the mun, rebuilt space station, settlement suits from the rain of spent boosters landing in residential areas, etc).

Also, we should mandate keeping a fleet of

in orbit at all times. Just in case.

Hang on- do updates wipe all your progress? Sorry for OT, just had to ask.

I always thought the lakes of Minmus might be some form of glass - that way they wouldn't evaporate.

Perhaps it was an asteroid with a high silicon content that flew too close to the Sun, before being captured by Kerbin? The silicon melted to form lakes, which then solidified in the troughs, leaving the hills of blue/green stuff (copper and/or something else?) exposed.

I'm currently waiting for the Devs to implement a new action for Kerbals when you right click them:

- Plant Flag

- Lick surface

Once that is done, I shall test the theory of whether or not it is mint icecream or salt.

I like the thought of Minmus having heavy Copper deposits on the surface. Maybe at one point in the distant past, it had a medium-thick atmosphere of Oxygen and possibly high humidity levels. The Copper reacted with the air to give the color, while at the same time sucking the atmosphere dry, as it would then act as a desiccant. It could possibly be a captured body from closer in, where long ago when the system was being formed, the higher gravity near the middle allowed for the formation of heavy elements like Copper. If Eve and the Kerbin system were to align just right, plus the power of Jool behind them, it could easily be captured around any one of them as it's pulled out of the center of the early Kerbol system, though it happened to be Kerbin that captured Minmus.

Edited by M5000

-snip-

- Plant Flag

- Lick surface

Once that is done, I shall test the theory of whether or not it is mint icecream or salt.

Tread carefully here, were dealing with an unknown substance.

Who's to say it isn't wasabi paste?

Roll your sanity check. /1d20

OT, but a former friend of mine and I survived a p&p CoC campaign, our two characters out of ten initially...I was so proud to have done it. Thing go bad so quickly in that game. :lol

I always thought the lakes of Minmus might be some form of glass - that way they wouldn't evaporate.

Perhaps it was an asteroid with a high silicon content that flew too close to the Sun, before being captured by Kerbin? The silicon melted to form lakes, which then solidified in the troughs, leaving the hills of blue/green stuff (copper and/or something else?)

The Blue Lagoon in Iceland is rich in silica minerals apparently and can have a very Minmus like colouring (do an image search for it). So silica content is my preferred boring explanation. I'm secretly hoping that its actually an egg of Great A'Tuin and that one day (possibly to mark a significant KSP anniversary or milestone) it will hatch and the Kerbol system will include a cute little star turtle complete with proto Discworld to explore. :)

For the purpose of giving my emerging space empire a nice, early boost i presume Minmus is an ice body. In the future it will look like an industrial Death Star - covered in mines, refineries, warehouses and factories cranking out spaceships, parts and fuel on demand :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.