.20 is buggy.

Sputnik-1

This is something we have to keep in mind. The QA testers had over a week to find massive game-breaking bugs, yet in the first few hours I encountered the lagtastic FPS-eating oceans, the "large decouplers refuse to have any sort of structural stability" bug, the "flags explode on reloading if they were placed on slopes" bug, two ships mysteriously disappearing, and the "switching from ship to ship within render range using the [ and ] keys makes a ship disassemble completely and its parts reach escape velocity" bug.

That's from an hour or so of playing, simply involving nothing more than going to the Mun, and docking in orbit. No plugins, purely vanilla. I have a very, very hard time accepting the "it's an alpha so you should ignore game-breaking bugs even though there's week-long experimentals and QA periods" excuse in that case.

How many members do the QA team have?, How many different system configs do they possess?

How many people bought, own and play KSP??, How many different system configs do they possess?

unfortunately you are one of the players who has these so-called game-breaking bugs.

fortunately I didn't experience any of it. Maybe bash me too for not extensively testing the game?

The unfinished game has bugs: FACT

The QA team has ironed out as many bugs as they can but still overlooked some bugs: FACT

The community is so massive compared to the QA team that some bugs were found shortly after release: FACT

they will fix it eventually: FACT

meanwhile you can play .19, if your still unsatisfied with .20: FACT

What's the point of all of this??

You guys are just impatient, Let's see you guys make your own game and do better.

You paid for the game knowing that it is still unfinished, is in an alpha state, has bugs like it or not. It's a gamble.

With your attitude you should have waited for the final release version, may it come 2013, 2020, 2030 or beyond.

Edited by lyndonguitar

You wanna play a bug-free KSP? Then wait till Squad releases version 1.00. Problem solved.

This is not any sort of meaningful or mature response. Nor is it a way to handle bugs.

Part of alpha-testing a game is to refine the bug-reporting and bug-killing process. This is presumably so that by the time the game hits full release, the processes are refined enough to handle a large amount of reports in a fast and efficient manner.

"It's an alpha so don't whine about bugs" is not a useful solution to this problem. It does nothing but put people off from reporting bugs or speaking up about deficiencies in the bug-quashing process. These players, these paying customers do deserve a response to their worries about all these enormous game-killing bugs, both from the developers and from the rest of the community. And this response should only be "we are working on quashing the current bugs quickly, and we will refine our QA processes to ensure that nothing this big slips by in the next release" and definitely not "bug off and come back in the indeterminate future when the game is fully released."

Happens every update. Either, roll with it or wait to update next time. Same goes with mods. Every update brings issues with mods, if you've been here for more than one update you know this. Don't update and find out what if anything actually happened to the mod. It usually takes the mod community 2-3 weeks to get everything back in the swing of things. Remember, this is all done for fun and not a business (the mod side) Everyone chill, play the game as is or roll it back. Throwing blame around and complaining about it makes the community as a whole look bad. Big boy pants kids, big boy pants.

A solution to "it no worky" is making the experimentals and opt-in thing, and using a bugtracker.

Well, unfortunately this is where you are wrong. The problem is: even if you have perfectly written bug reports, they still lack the information you need. You need special diagnostic tools and data recorders, and ideally direct access to the test machine, and the program process.

Even then, manual testing is an insanely ineffective way to test code. You need a test strategy that finds errors ideally before you even commit it to the source code repository.

Finding bugs (in the sense of: "hey, something is weird here") is not the problem, but analyzing and fixing them is. And without more advanced technology and more developers, this only results in more administrative overhead.

This is not any sort of meaningful or mature response. Nor is it a way to handle bugs.

Part of alpha-testing a game is to refine the bug-reporting and bug-killing process. This is presumably so that by the time the game hits full release, the processes are refined enough to handle a large amount of reports in a fast and efficient manner.

"It's an alpha so don't whine about bugs" is not a useful solution to this problem. It does nothing but put people off from reporting bugs or speaking up about deficiencies in the bug-quashing process. These players, these paying customers do deserve a response to their worries about all these enormous game-killing bugs, both from the developers and from the rest of the community. And this response should only be "we are working on quashing the current bugs quickly, and we will refine our QA processes to ensure that nothing this big slips by in the next release" and definitely not "bug off and come back in the indeterminate future when the game is fully released."

The problem is not with the bug reports, the problem is these people think they know better, like the OP. Let Squad handle all the development plans and roadmap, we just do the bug reporting. There is a reason why Squad is developing the game and we are the customers. It's like going to Mcdonalds and telling the cooks there how to cook their own food.

There is a bug reporting system. In the event of a game crash, it generates a report in which you send to squad. Generating 40 threads about the same bug is not meaningful nor is it helpful.

So try an imagine what it would be like if NO ONE complained about the bugs, complaining is in our nature. Too hot, too cold, too wet too dry, what ever, but jumping down someone's throat about complaining is like complaining to the complainer. Silly. And the whole, Get over it, or deal with it attitude? That belongs to the "exclusive" members who have never failed at anything they have done or had any bad experiences in their lives what so ever.

Just saying, relax, don't bash the complainers, without them, you all would still be under England's rule or saluting Adolph hitlers regime.

Complaints?

Wow....just...wow. I'm allergic to hyperbole.

I agree with you that people should report bugs. They can be mad, I guess, about bugs as well.

However the constructive way to deal with it is to post real bug reports on the proper forum. Everyone making the point of "this is an alpha" is completely right. The test team isn't going to catch all the bugs.

So the constructive thing to do is not to post a complaint thread on the general forum. its to post bug posts over in the development section. That is how these things get resolved and fixed. If they post a complaint thread, these kinds of responses should be expected. Never go forum trekking without flame retardent underwear.

edit: As Capt. Joesph points out, if there is already a thread on it in the bug forum, don't post a new one. Add on to the one that already exists.

Edited by air805ronin

So basically you're saying that it's okay if KSP becomes a bug-ridden, unplayable mess because the devs don't fix bugs anymore? People paid for the game.

I have no problem with some harmless bugs, it's an alpha after all. But there's a testing team, we can expect from the devs that they at least tackle game-breaking bugs like these.

You guys are just impatient, Let's see you guys make your own game and do better.

I can't paint, but that doesn't mean I can't point out flaws in someone's painting.

Are you saying that noone who isn't a game dev can criticise games? You don't need to be a game dev to give criticism.

@air805ronin, hehe I was just saying that this is a nation of complainers, people that sue McDonald's for spilling hot coffee on their laps and complaining that it was hot. People that sue gun manufacturers for a wrongful death and the likes. Me I usually wait for the bugs to get worked out before updating. Never try the soup until someone else has tasted it and survived.

The problem is not with the bug reports, the problem is these people think they know better. Let Squad handle all the development plans and roadmap, we just do the bug reporting.

Exactly. This thread has gone off track and is turning into nothing but insults. If you have bugs to report, there's a forum for that.