FusTek Station Parts Dev Thread (continuation of fusty's original work)

sumghai

Out of curiosity, will there ever be an extendable version of the IACBM ports? They would make pressurised rovers and base construction easier.

In order to correct for physics glitches, I would make it a shielded port, that opens and extends in one motion, so only has one "active" position.

...Actually, speaking of shielded ports, I have an idea.

An animated dome like on the Dragon V2, that is empty inside, has nodes on the bottom and on the bottom of the inner cavity, which cavity has just enough space to contain an IACBM/Clampotron port.

I'm not sure if I missed something when updating my test folder, but I did not see the IVA's at all. All that happened was I was able to see through the windows and the rest of the part in both the VAB and the launch pad. The specular shaders look much better.

Out of curiosity, will there ever be an extendable version of the IACBM ports? They would make pressurised rovers and base construction easier.

I think I understand what you're getting at, and it is certainly an interesting concept. My main concern is how the docking node transform Unity GameObject in ModuleDockingNode would handle being moved via animation.

With regards to pressurized rovers and planetary outposts - as part of the proposed FusTek MSEV* system, I've been speaking to lo-fi regarding crab steering, so that a MSEV-based rover can just drive sideways right into a (fixed) docking port.

*Apologies if I sound like a tease - my priorities right now are FusTek Station Parts R0.04a and SDHI SMS 2.0.

...Actually, speaking of shielded ports, I have an idea.

An animated dome like on the Dragon V2, that is empty inside, has nodes on the bottom and on the bottom of the inner cavity, which cavity has just enough space to contain an IACBM/Clampotron port.

Interesting idea, although I'm not sure if that's part of the overall focus / vision of the station parts pack - might be something best handled by authors of Dragon-like spacecraft add-ons themselves. I can certainly help with dimensioning and specifications, though.

I'm not sure if I missed something when updating my test folder, but I did not see the IVA's at all. All that happened was I was able to see through the windows and the rest of the part in both the VAB and the launch pad. The specular shaders look much better.

JSITransparentPod requires RasterPropMonitor 0.17.

I'm currently working with Mihara and shaw to resolve a TextureReplacer compatibility issue (specifically, incorrect Kerbal faces / suits), just so you know.

will you make a version of the stock science lab that fits well with your parts?
There is a science module in this pack.
Really? :o And it performs the same function as the stock science lab? Darnit... i already added the stock science lab to my station :P

sharpspoonful is quite right - in fact, this has already been quite clearly addressed in the FAQ section of the announcements thread:

Q: What functionality do any of the parts / modules actually serve in the game?

A:

-snip-

- The Karmony Science modules can hold up to four (4) Kerbals, and functions essentially like the stock Mobile Processing Lab

Well I think I found my issue with the framerate. Wasn't the docking nodes, but infact the station modules themselves. Built my original station design + extras using a a few Bobcat ISS Modules and like 7 KSO Phase 2 station parts and saw my framerates go from 12 to 35+.

Not ing, just pointing it out. Using the X0.04-4 dev build. I noticed when experienting that the framerate in VAB would drop significantly witch each observation module (cupola).

Well I think I found my issue with the framerate. Wasn't the docking nodes, but infact the station modules themselves. Built my original station design + extras using a a few Bobcat ISS Modules and like 7 KSO Phase 2 station parts and saw my framerates go from 12 to 35+.

Not ing, just pointing it out. Using the X0.04-4 dev build. I noticed when experienting that the framerate in VAB would drop significantly witch each observation module (cupola).

That may be caused by the IVA's extremely bright interiors as of the last update.

JSITransparentPod requires RasterPropMonitor 0.17. I'm currently working with Mihara and shaw to resolve a TextureReplacer compatibility issue (specifically, incorrect Kerbal faces / suits), just so you know.

Already running the .17 update. I'll reinstall it and let you know if there were any changes.

EDIT:

Interesting idea, although I'm not sure if that's part of the overall focus / vision of the station parts pack - might be something best handled by authors of Dragon-like spacecraft add-ons themselves. I can certainly help with dimensioning and specifications, though.

That sounds like a pretty awesome addition the SDHI pack for the IACBM Parachute variant, if I might add.

Edited by sharpspoonful

My main concern is how the docking node transform Unity GameObject in ModuleDockingNode would handle being moved via animation.

As long as it's not being moved while connected, it should be fine. The stock 1.25m inline docking port extends outwards, and there are a few mods with similar functionality. A more hackish way would be to have two docking modules with different nodes, and just toggle them with the animation? Unless of course I'm interpreting this incorrectly.

Edited by kujuman

As long as it's not being moved while connected, it should be fine. The stock 1.25m inline docking port extends outwards, and there are a few mods with similar functionality. A more hackish way would be to have two docking modules with different nodes, and just toggle them with the animation? Unless of course I'm interpreting this incorrectly.

Yeah, it makes sense to not move while docked.

Yeah, it makes sense to not move while docked.

My thoughts as well. I figured it'd only be "dockable" when fully deployed, and any triggering of the animation would also first undock whatever may be docked to it.

Hmm Sharpspoonfull I am going to test that theory by making a similarly large station out of only FusTek modules that do not have crew IVA such as the utilities, logistics, hubs and resupply and test the framerate.

Well, removing any references to internals in all habitable modules (Habitation, Science, Utilities, KIRS Docking module, both airlocks) has taken my framerate on my old station from 20fps and below to a stable 30. Drops to 25 in proximity of my space shuttle, whereas before it would drop down to 11.

I didn't remove the internal from the Cupola module, as it'd be pretty pointless to have it on the station minus its IVA views.

Also removed all modulelight modules from all parts.

I should also mention that this station a pair of the FPS-sucking Balka solar arrays from the KOSMOS pack, which in my testing were the weakest of the large solar arrays for framerate. Highest being the newly optimised OKEB-250 arrays from Near Future Solar pack which gave me a solid 15fps boost from the Balka arrays.

Well, removing any references to internals in all habitable modules (Habitation, Science, Utilities, KIRS Docking module, both airlocks) has taken my framerate on my old station from 20fps and below to a stable 30. Drops to 25 in proximity of my space shuttle, whereas before it would drop down to 11.

I didn't remove the internal from the Cupola module, as it'd be pretty pointless to have it on the station minus its IVA views.

Also removed all modulelight modules from all parts.

I should also mention that this station a pair of the FPS-sucking Balka solar arrays from the KOSMOS pack, which in my testing were the weakest of the large solar arrays for framerate. Highest being the newly optimised OKEB-250 arrays from Near Future Solar pack which gave me a solid 15fps boost from the Balka arrays.

The lighting issue was for Sumghai to test the internals. I don't really get the same lag until I push 300 or so parts, but I'm glad you were able to zero in on the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm SUPER excited to see the new transparent ports. I think once it gets inplemented into more mods, we can get most of the stock windows to exhibit the same things... can you all IMAGINE how cool that's going to look?

I do agree with users when they suggest that toggling the Lights action group shouldn't turn on all the IACBM lights on a station/vessel (especially ports already docked together), and replacing ModuleLight with FSanimateGeneric seemed to work...except that this now means that if the station/vessel runs out of ElectricCharge, any IACBM lights turned on will still be left running, since FSanimateGeneric does not support resource comsumption.

perhaps we could save you a headache and all just assume these orientation LEDs have battery packs with tiny solar panels included. as they are for orientation only as you say, they dont need much power!

perhaps we could save you a headache and all just assume these orientation LEDs have battery packs with tiny solar panels included. as they are for orientation only as you say, they dont need much power!

I've decided to keep ModuleLight on the docking port illuminators - folks will just have to remember to unassign them from the Lights AG.

Alternatively, I've also been testing ozraven's experimental AutomaticActionGroups plugin, which can be easily configured to do such a task automatically. Rest assured that said plugin is mainly for convenience purposes, and won't be mandatory.

Progress Report, 1 August 2014

With SDHI SMS V2.0 out of the way, work on FusTek IVAs for R0.04a continues.

To speed up development and permit asset reuse, I chopped up my placeholder internal models and consolidated the various faces into a modular system of panels / structural elements. Needless to say, the not-so-dinki-di-aussie colour scheme is temporary.

ksp_fustek_iva_dev_wip_1_aug_2014_by_sumghai-d7t5q3h.png

Fig 70 - FusTek Station Parts - (Upcoming) Visual Tweaks 2

Note that the FusTek_WhitePanel_StandardRack (Black rectangle with white border) will actually have a bit cutout in the middle, so that it can accommodate the similarly-modular locker system.

Next steps:

- Model and animate viewport frames/shutter prop, toggleable in IVA using JSIActionGroupSwitch

- 2nd pass modelling and texturing of individual panels

- Add ASET props (handles, fire extinguisher)

- Model and animate internal light fixtures / light transforms, toggleable in IVA using JSIActionGroupSwitch

- Make additional FusTek-specific props (lots!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.