FusTek Station Parts Dev Thread (continuation of fusty's original work)

sumghai

Between all the blinkenlights on telecom, network and various data acquisition systems I've been around I think your animation is wonderful! Lovely TX and RX back and forth.

I've been working on a full list of props needed to finish off the IVAs, and you'll be pleased to note that there will be more TX and RX LEDs to come :)

• 2 weeks later...

Progress Report, 27 June 2015

Number of days without a KSP-runnable laptop: 150

- MOARdV and I have resolved the blinkenlight issue, although you guys will either have to get the latest dev version of JSI RPM, or wait for the next stable release of the plugin

- I've continuing to populate the interior with props, and as part of the process, I've started to think about the various buttons that would be used throughout the modules. This takes much more planning than most people assume, as my aim to to minimise the number of textures and draw calls required.

Alexustas was kind enough to send me a copy of the fonts and graphics he used for the ASET ALCOR pod buttons, resulting in the following:

d0ELfij.png

Fig 88 - FusTek Internals RPM Pushbutton Icons

Most of these should be self-explanatory, but I'll point out a few special ones in particular:

- The Fire, Cabin Decompression and Toxic Atmosphere buttons are used by the crew to alert the Karmony Utilities module of hazards in the current compartment.

- The Warning indicator is lit in the event of critical subsystem failure (e.g. loss of the primary guidance computer, total loss of altitude control system).

- The Caution indicator is lit in the event of a subsystem failure which, if left uncorrected, may become a Warning (e.g. loss of the auxiliary guidance computer, loss of the communications subsystem, partial failure of the altitude control system)

- The Test button is merely to check that all alarms are working properly.

- The downward-pointing light button is for internal lights within the current compartment, while the sideways-pointing light is the standard vessel external light(s) toggle

- The PTT (Push To Talk) button is used on the internal intercom unit found in most crew compartments

- The Gear, Brakes, Engine and HVEL +/- buttons won't actually be used for FusTek Station Parts, since a space station or planetary outpost won't need any of those; I'm simply reserving them for the FusTek MSEV

- The rightmost three columns allow MechJeb to be used as the Primary Guidance System for a space station

- Meanwhile, the nav ball symbols at the bottom-left are for the stock SAS, which is relegated to the Auxiliary (Backup) Guidance System.

With these buttons finalized, I can now do the following:

- Add Caution and Warning System panels to all crew compartments

- Add the ability to toggle the interior lights and all the window shutters within each comparment

- Swap the viewport's placeholder button with proper ones

- Start working on the station command posts in the Utilities Module

As usual, watch this space for more developmental updates!

- MOARdV and I have resolved the blinkenlight issue, although you guys will either have to get the latest dev version of JSI RPM, or wait for the next stable release of the plugin

The next official release of RPM will land once sarbian releases an updated MechJeb, so that I can confirm that some of the RPM changes I made will work with the changes in MJ since the last official release.

- The PTT (Push To Talk) button is used on the internal intercom unit found in most crew compartments

You know what would be cool? If the PTT button could trigger a Chatterer "conversation". Hmmm...

The next official release of RPM will land once sarbian releases an updated MechJeb, so that I can confirm that some of the RPM changes I made will work with the changes in MJ since the last official release.

You know what would be cool? If the PTT button could trigger a Chatterer "conversation". Hmmm...

Kerbin, we've had a problem.

Aye, thanks for the heads-up.

Kerbin, we've had a problem.

Dudes, that would totally be awesome! :D

"It's just your rig."

I find lines like that a little annoying, guys, but then I started with Flight Simulator on a Z80 processor with 16k of RAM...

More seriously, you can manage with low frame rates and keyboard control, but it's a different style of using the keys, and it may not work so well with a joystick.

I haven't found FusTek excessive, though my computer is getting old. Age, rather than speed, is what I am watching nervously.

It does occur to me that Mod makers could improve how they tell us about these things, or give us some options. Do I want detailed IVA for a space station? It's not something vital, and perhaps it would be a good idea to organise the folders, and document the changes needed, that would let us remove the IVA features.

Similarly, some of the bigger Mod packs might be usefully split, or at least organised in a way that helps us choose. I've trimmed a lot of stuff out of B9 Aerospace, cut it back to just the essentially orbital stuff like the M27 Capsule. It wasn't too hard, the folder names for Parts are a big clue.

I am not going to complain about somebody getting fancy, but lets not dismiss the problems with "It's just your rig."

"It's just your rig."

I find lines like that a little annoying, guys, but then I started with Flight Simulator on a Z80 processor with 16k of RAM...

More seriously, you can manage with low frame rates and keyboard control, but it's a different style of using the keys, and it may not work so well with a joystick.

I haven't found FusTek excessive, though my computer is getting old. Age, rather than speed, is what I am watching nervously.

It does occur to me that Mod makers could improve how they tell us about these things, or give us some options. Do I want detailed IVA for a space station? It's not something vital, and perhaps it would be a good idea to organise the folders, and document the changes needed, that would let us remove the IVA features.

Similarly, some of the bigger Mod packs might be usefully split, or at least organised in a way that helps us choose. I've trimmed a lot of stuff out of B9 Aerospace, cut it back to just the essentially orbital stuff like the M27 Capsule. It wasn't too hard, the folder names for Parts are a big clue.

I am not going to complain about somebody getting fancy, but lets not dismiss the problems with "It's just your rig."

Please don't rant about large mod packs in general in this thread, thanks.

Progress Report, 27 June 2015

Now, let me express my awe about the implications. ASET ALCOR has my favourite IVA in KSP, would certainly be a dream to see other parts with IVA so detailed and consistent.

But that is exactly what I see coming with FusTek parts now, thanks to you all (sumghai, MOARdV, and Alexustas).

Progress Report, 29 June 2015

Number of days without a KSP-runnable laptop: 152

I'm taken a (very quick) diversion from IVAs to deal with one of the more popular user requests - KIS integration (Issue #62 on Github)

I've pushed a number of commits with rudimentary implementations of the following, which will require testing / tweaking by volunteers:

- The Logistics, Resupply, Airlock and Node (not the compactNode) Modules now have KIS inventory slots; compared with the original KIS containers, FusTek ones have fewer inventory slots, smaller volumes and can only be accessed within the station / outpost, but that reflects my original intention

- The four side recesses on the Node (and the compactNode) Modules can now be retrofitted with Node Covers or 1.25m IACBM docking ports by Kerbals on EVA; my implementation of this behaviour is extremely crude, and so I welcome tweaks/balance pass suggestions

- The 2.5m IACBM won't be KISable; they're too huge to be manipulated even by a (if you'll excuse the pun) squad of Kerbals on EVA.

- More KIS integration is planned post FusTek V1.0, including external FLEXrack containers, FLEXrack carrier frames, trusses, communications carrier subsystems etc.

Hey Sumghai, I know it's a dumb question and I'm sure its somewhere a couple pages back (I remember some MLI discussion) but I can't find a how-to

What do I need to remove to have fustek without the MLI textures?

Go to GameData/FusTek/Station Parts/Parts/AltTexturePacks and delete the MLI_Blankets folder - that will get rid of the patch that include the MLI textures.

Apologies, I should probably have made this clearer in the OP - perhaps I'll do so when FusTek 1.0 is rolled out.

Progress Report, 4 July 2015

Number of days without a KSP-runnable laptop: 157

- I just realized that there isn't a 1.0.4-compatible release for KIS out yet; apologies to all those people who I asked to test the KIS patch for FusTek

- I put all 64 pushbuttons arranged in a grid on one of the walls in the Utils module IVA, so that someone can go test that they light up properly later.

- I'm starting work on the common switch panels shared by all Karmony modules, such as the Caution and Warning System and the Module Functions System (viewport shutters, internal lights, ventilation fans, dummy demisters).

- To help me position Kerbals in IVAs properly, as well as design seats and microgravity foot restraints, I managed to get the extremely talented Douglas Marodin (VintageXP) to help rig up a Kerbal model into a seated pose, which I can then use as a mannequin to help IVA and prop development:

h5uvh8p.png

Fig 89 - FusTek IVA Development - Seated Kerbal model

(Yes, VintageXP and I are aware that's actually an External Command Seat, but the pose is identical in IVA. Besides, the seat model is actually excellent reference material on how I would design those zero-g foot restraints used in orbital stations)

Progress Report, 5 July 2015

Number of days without a KSP-runnable laptop: 158

The next prop I wanted to tackle was the Audio Terminal Unit (ATU), which is an intercom system that can be used within the space station or as a direct line of communications with the KSC and various tracking stations dotted throughout Kerbin (technically speaking, all communications would be routed through the Utilities module, but let's not worry about that little detail).

I wanted the ATU to have a similar aesthetic to the JSI RPM MFDs, so I decided to grab one of the ASET ALCOR ones to test fit onto the compact white wall segments. The ASET MFD was 290 x 290 mm, greater than the 269 mm width of the white wall segment I was planning to use it on. Yikes!

Curious as to how Alexustas managed to fit three MFDs in front of a Kerbal in his ALCOR Pod, I took a look at his IVA definition - turns out, the ASET MFDs are actually downscaled to 47.0858% of their original size when actually used. Crisis averted.

With that dealt with, I grabbed some props and VintageXP's seated Kerbal mannequin from yesterday's progress report, and I started playing around with arranging the MFDs, both to figure out where the ATU would go, and what the Utilities module command station would look like:

ytJYhWF.png

Fig 90 - (WIP) FusTek Internals (11)

Okay folks, I need you guys to test something for me:

- Ensure you have the latest dev build and all dependencies, including JSI RPM 0.21.0

- Ensure you have HyperEdit installed

- Build a simple vessel consist of one Utilities, one Hab and one Science module

- Have at least one Kerbal in every compartment

- Launch the vessel

- In IVA, have a look at each row of FLEXracks; the top part will have the FLEXrack logo, while the bottom will have a set of blinking lights (the top and bottom of a rack may be reversed depending on orientation, but this should be expected)

- Checkpoint 1 - Are the blinkenlights blinking?

- Drain the vessel of ElectricCharge completely

- Go back to IVA

- Checkpoint 2 - Are the blinkenlights now off?

- Refill the vessel's ElectricCharge using HyperEdit

- Go back to IVA

- Checkpoint 3 - Are the blinkenlights now back on again?

Screenshots documenting the test results would be appreciated.

-

Progress Report, 4 July 2015

Number of days without a KSP-runnable laptop: 157

- I just realized that there isn't a 1.0.4-compatible release for KIS out yet; apologies to all those people who I asked to test the KIS patch for FusTek

Both KIS and KAS are showing as well out-of-date, I get warning messages when I start, but I can't really see how anything relevant has changed since 1.0 came out. I'm not having problems, just warnings.

There has been a sudden flurry of mod updates, sometimes in closely-spaced jumps. New MechJeb version, and there's something in the JSI RPM notes about how they talk together. I think it was coincidence, but I am feeling wary of automatic updates after my recent KSP experiences.

Quick test results :

- Very laggy, more than 3 modules, and the ship wont event load

- With electric charge > 0, the lights are on (some of them, at least) but not blinking (with the latest RPM release)

- When I set the electric charge to 0, the lights go off, but revert to on after 1 second or so, still no blinking

- Very, very beautiful parts and IVA !

Quick test results :

- Very laggy, more than 3 modules, and the ship wont event load

- With electric charge > 0, the lights are on (some of them, at least) but not blinking (with the latest RPM release)

- When I set the electric charge to 0, the lights go off, but revert to on after 1 second or so, still no blinking

- Very, very beautiful parts and IVA !

Failed test, extreme lag, similar experiences as Crampman. I will do a clean, bare minimum plugin test tomorrow after work, 7 Eastern US time (had RPM 0.21.1, do I need to downgrade?)

Oh dear, this doesn't sound too good.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Both KIS and KAS are showing as well out-of-date, I get warning messages when I start, but I can't really see how anything relevant has changed since 1.0 came out. I'm not having problems, just warnings.

There has been a sudden flurry of mod updates, sometimes in closely-spaced jumps. New MechJeb version, and there's something in the JSI RPM notes about how they talk together. I think it was coincidence, but I am feeling wary of automatic updates after my recent KSP experiences.

KIS and KAS have now been updated. You need to update both together, not just one, before you try to load KSP. It's OK to have just KIS if you're not doing things such as using winches and fuel lines in EVA, but if you have both installed, update both.

Since the new releases take time to get onto a system such as CKAN you can get a situation where you have updated one but not the other. As near as I can tell, the time difference between the manual announcements caught me out. Not fun.

Just tried it with the bare bones setup, it still behaves as Crampman stated. The buttons and windows shades work beautifully though.

*EDIT*

JSI is definitely the source of the ultra lag, remove it and everything is groovy (except none of the stuff that needs testing works).

Edited by StEligius

Just tried it with the bare bones setup, it still behaves as Crampman stated. The buttons and windows shades work beautifully though.

*EDIT*

JSI is definitely the source of the ultra lag, remove it and everything is groovy (except none of the stuff that needs testing works).

Okay, I see.

Do you experience similar problems with other JSI-powered pods as well? Or just FusTek? If it's the latter, that's something I can look into myself once I get my new laptop, but if it's a former, MOARdV will need detailed reproduction procedures in order for him to track down the source of the lag.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.