FusTek Station Parts Dev Thread (continuation of fusty's original work)

sumghai

It's a pity, but I have to forget about this beautiful modpack for now. It works fine on clear game but with all mods of my main game instance (modlist is huge) it freezes the game on launch loading. :/ I can only hope this problem would be somehow fixed in the future.

It's a pity, but I have to forget about this beautiful modpack for now. It works fine on clear game but with all mods of my main game instance (modlist is huge) it freezes the game on launch loading. :/ I can only hope this problem would be somehow fixed in the future.

Did you try downloading the unofficial R0.02.2a DEV BUILD?

Also, what mods are you using?

Edited by sumghai

Progress Report, 11 July 2013

Added more EVA handgrips, tossed some "mystery meat" equipment boxes onto the Kirs mesh and decided to consider it done:

ksp_fustek_kirs_docking_final_11_july_2013_by_sumghai-d6cyotc.png

Fig 21 - FusTek Kirs Docking Module - Final Testing

Should they desire, players can use the remaining surfaces to mount their own bits and bobs, like KSPX Stratus-V Cylindrical fuel tanks and batteries.

The main mesh for the Kuest Legacy Airlock is also done, just need to make the colliders and export it into Unity for final processing:

_wip__kuest_legacy_airlock_by_sumghai-d6cyoxm.png

Fig 22 - (WIP) FusTek Kuest Legacy Airlock

Admittedly, this is more of a caricature than an accurate reproduction of the original ISS Quest design, but the proportions are such that the Legacy and main versions have the same overall lengths and diameters, making it easy for folks to change between either design without having to reconfigure their space station drastically. Consequently, the EVA hatch on the Legacy Airlock is 30% smaller, but I'm sure Kerbals can squeeze through just fine.

The Legacy airlock will also have a lower mass and be cheaper, but is not rated for surface operations and will not have the decontamination systems found in the main Kuest design.

I'll try getting this into my game tomorrow, so that I can (finally) start working on the Kupola Observation Module.

ASIDE: R0.03a will probably be the last major parts release for this pack, as R0.04a will focus on IVAs. After that, it'll probably be just maintenance with the occasional new part.

Kirs and Kuest look great...can't wait to add them to my KSS Mark 2! Kupola sounds like it would be fun too! I like the stock cupola but wish that it had a vertical orientation for the IVA rather than the horizontal orientation like the real ISS Cupola does (as in, you'd look 'up' to look out the circular window.)

I like the stock cupola but wish that it had a vertical orientation for the IVA rather than the horizontal orientation like the real ISS Cupola does (as in, you'd look 'up' to look out the circular window.)

I concur wholeheartedly.

The plan from the outset for the FusTek Kupola was indeed to have the circular window at the apex of the module, and replace the flight instruments with dummy computer screens.

I'm also planning on making a "sideways" Cupola cockpit for another Fustek-inspired pack, much lighter than the Panopticon and used as a three-man lander/rover cockpit.

have you considered doing a prototype IVA?, like something similar to the TKS IVA from bobcat's soviet pack/mir station parts?

I'll focus on IVAs once I finish R0.03a.

Progress Report, 12 July 2013

Finishing off the Kuest Legacy Airlock took much, much longer than anticipated, because of some tricky ladder work required in order to allow Kerbals to climb along the shoulder transition between the two fuselage sizes. While not 100% perfect, with some nudging in EVA mode Kerbals will be able to crawl along that shoulder:

ksp_fustek_kuest_legacy_airlock_final_12_july_by_sumghai-d6d432k.png

Fig 23 - FusTek Kuest Legacy Airlock - Final Testing

Now that I'm starting to think about the Kupola, here's what I have in mind:

- 2.5 m diameter

- Tapered end

- Animated blast shutters

- 2~3 crew capacity

- Kerbals visible from outside as seen through windows (R0.04a)

- IVA with no flight instruments but faux computer monitors (R0.04a)

A question for you guys regarding the blast shutters - which would people prefer?

- A iris shutter for the top round window and sliding panel shutters for the side windows (more Kerbal-y)

- Thick hinged panels (more realistic, as used on the real ISS Cupola)

Did you try downloading the unofficial R0.02.2a DEV BUILD?

Yep...

Also, what mods are you using?

Well, if you interested :)

Mods used by ZobrA on KSP0.20.2

!---- MODS ----!

--------------------------------
ZobrA'z CLONED/CUSTOMIZED
B9:
Aero_HL_Adapter_Front LFO
Aero_HL_Body_6m LFO
Cockpit_MK2_Adapter_M125 LFO
Cockpit_MK2_Body_05m Fuel & LFO
I^3
Parachute_N_0.625
Parachute_ND_0.625
Skylon:
sabreIntake
DamnedRobotics:
DRhingeSmall
Squad:
roverWheel3_halfsized

MANAGING:

ModuleManager v1.3
Folder: GameData
Custom part file: GameData/Zobra/ZobrAdjustments.cfg

INTERFACE:

EditorTools v0.1.2
Folder: Gamedata

subassemblyLoader for 0.20.2-v1.2
Folder: SubassemblyLoader

RCS Build Aid v0.2
Folder: RCSBuildAid

Simple Part Organizer v0.250
Folder: SimplePartOrganizer

TAC Part Lister v1.0.1
Folder: TacPartLister

Haystack v0.0.2.0
Folder: HrmHaystack

Kerbal Alarm Clock v2.4.0.2
Folder: TriggerTech

Kerbal Crew Manifest v0.5.4.0
Folder: CrewManifest

ActionsOnTheFly1.1.1
Folder: Actions on the Fly

G_LockFlight
Folder: G_LockFlight

Romfarer Docking Camera v28b
Folder: Romfarer
Added to Squad parts:
dockingPort1
dockingPort2
dockingPort3
dockingPortLarge
dockingPortLateral
Added to B9 parts:
B9_Utility_DockingPort_CDP

Toggle-capable ASAS
Folder: AdvSASModuleToggle
Added to Squad parts:
advSasModule
asasmodule1-2
avionicsNoseCone
Added to KSPX parts:
cl_mini_asas
Added to B9 parts:
B9_Control_ACU
B9_Control_ASAS
B9_Cockpit_MK1_Control_ACU
B9_Cockpit_MK1_Control_SAS
B9_Cockpit_MK2_Nosecone_ACU
B9_Cockpit_MK2_Nosecone_ASAS
Added to KOSMOS parts:
Kosmos_Pravilo_ASAS
Added to RLA_Stockalike parts:
RLA_inline_avionics

TacFuelBalancer_pre-2.0.b
Folder: TacFuelBalancer

Refuel Assistant System v0.4
Folder: RAS
Added to KAS parts:
CPort1
CPort2
CPort3

IMMERSION:
Chatterer v.0.5
Folder: RBR

Real Space Experience v1.1.5
Folder: JeTi (AudioTweaks only)

EvaOxygen v1.0
Folder: EvaOxygen_1.0

RemoteTech v0.5.0.1
Folder: RemoteTech

CONTROLS:

MechJeb 2.0.8.0-66
Folder: MechJeb2

Kerbal Engineer Redux v0.6.0.3
Folder: Engineer

Maneuver Node Improvement v1.1
Folder: Maneuver_Node_Improvement

Bucky's Instruments v0.0.4
Folder: Bucky

Lazor System v28b
Only part:
Romfarer_LazorSystem

HyperEdit v1.2.1.1
Folder: HyperEdit

PHYSICS:

Ferram Aerospace Research v0.9.5.2
Folder: FerramAerospaceResearch

DeadlyReentry2.3
Folder: DeadlyReentry

RESOURSES:

Kethane-0.7.3
Folder: Kethane

MECHANISMS:

Infernal Robotics DRobotics (0.20.2)
Folder: DamnedRobotics
Parts:
DRdoorhinge
DRhinge1
DRhingeSmall
DRrotatron

dockingwashers_0.10 (for DRobotics)
Folder: Dockingwasher

DROMOMAN - Damned Robotics MOdular MANipulator b2
Folder: nothke_DROMOMAN

KAS – Kerbal Attachment System v0.3.1
Folder KAS

Robotic Arms Pack v28

Caterpillar Tracks
Folder: RBI
TracksDll

Quantum Strut v2.0.3
Folder: BoJaN
Only part:
strutGun

AEROSPACE PARTS:

Aviation Lights v3.3
Folder: AviationLights

B9 Aerospace Pack R3.2
Folder: B9_Aerospace
ExsurgentEngineering
Firespitter
KineTechAnimation
ResGen
All B9_* parts exept:
Adapter_C125
Aero_HL_Adapter_MK4
Cockpit_D25

Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v5.3
Folder: Firespitter
Parts: only from Wheels folder

Procedural Wing v0.4
Folder: ProceduralDynamics

Taverio’s Pizza and Aerospace v1.4.1
Folder: TV PP
Only parts: NTBI* and TV TW

Vanguard Technologies Plugin v0.6
Vanguard Technologies EVA parachutes v1.1
Folder: VNG

braking_parachute_v0.1
Folder: Weatherman

SPACECRAFT PARTS:

KW Rocketry v2.4
Folder: KWRocketry

Kerbal Stock Part eXpansion mod v0.2.2
Folder: KSPX

Kosmos Space Station Parts Pack R4.32
Folder: KOSMOS
Only parts:
Kosmos_Pravilo_ASAS
Kosmos_Balka_PanelBlock1_Single
Kosmos_TKS_Solar_Array

RLA Stockalike 0.5.4
Folder: RLA_Stockalike
Parts All exept:
RLA_smokegen
RLA_radialjet

RLA Power Generation 0.1
Folder: RLA_PowerGeneration
Only parts: SRG

AIES Aerospace v1.3
Folder: AIES_Aerospace
Some parts from folders:
Antenna
Electrical
Engine
Science
Utility

Flush Heat Shield
Folder: Nates Heat Shield

Planetes Corporation - Heatshields v2
Folder: PlaCo_Heatshields

FASA Gemini and Mercury Pack v1.4
Folder: FASA
Only part:
FASA_Mercury_LES

FASA Asteroids 2.2
Folder: FASA_Asteroids

Spherical Fuel Tanks v1.6
Spherical Kethane Tanks v1.1
Folder: ModsByTal

UDKLD_Large_Structural_Components
Folder: udk_lethal_d0se

FusTek Station Parts v2
Folder: FusTek
Only Part:
StaticPanelXL

wetworkshops-0.1
Folder: WetWorkshops

Port-O-Hatch v0.2
Folder: Wayland_Corp
Only part:
Wayland_Portahatch

Lack Luster Labs v0.09.9
Folder: LLL
Only parts:
LLLAirlock
LLLEAM
LLLWindowlong
LLLWindowOct

RollKage 1.1
Folder: RollKage 1.0

All-In-1 Sensor
Folder: ZobrA\Science
Parts:
All-In-1_Sensor

Lionhead Aerospace Inc - Zeus Space Telescope
Folder: Lionhead_Aerospace_Inc

CP Airbag System
Folder: ZobrA\Utilities

um3kCorp_SpaceShim_v1-0
Folder: ZobrA\Structural

InfiniteDice StrongStruts v1.1
Folder: IDStrongStruts
Only parts:
CarrierR3StrongStrutv2
CarrierR3StrongStrutv4

HL Portable Launch Platforms v3.0.1
Folder: HooliganLabs, VGN
Only part: HL_LaunchPad

Radial engine mount-case z_thing
Folder: z_thing

Edited by ZobrAA

A question for you guys regarding the blast shutters - which would people prefer?

- A iris shutter for the top round window and sliding panel shutters for the side windows (more Kerbal-y)

Do you think you can post concept art of the former, because right now I do like the thick hinged panels for the side windows, but I don't really like the lenscap they have on the real cupola. Besides I wouldn't mind seeing what you have in mind for both suggestions.

This is looking pretty damn sexy. I can't wait to try some of this out. FusTek's parts have been the best looking station parts I've seen go all the way through development, so I can't wait to see what else you release for this add-on mod.

Warm Regards,

Joe

Iris shutter for the top and sliding panel shutters for the side windows.

Can't wait to try this mod out. The parts look very good and the ability to convert fuselage into a FusTek module is quite interesting :D

I concur wholeheartedly.

The plan from the outset for the FusTek Kupola was indeed to have the circular window at the apex of the module, and replace the flight instruments with dummy computer screens.

That sounds awesome! The funny thing is I had just seen this image: http://i.imgur.com/evQWbBx.jpg with all the laptops which sounds a lot like what you described.

Yep...

Well, if you interested

-snip-

There's far too many mods in that list for me to consider what may be interfering with the station parts.

Have you tried a separate KSP install with just stock parts and the station parts only? What specs are your PC?

Anyone else still having the same performance issues?

Do you think you can post concept art of the former, because right now I do like the thick hinged panels for the side windows, but I don't really like the lenscap they have on the real cupola. Besides I wouldn't mind seeing what you have in mind for both suggestions.
Personally, I like the sliding/iris idea, though that may change with the right concept art.
Sliding/Iris is my vote....

What I might do is model the main mesh first to get the overall proportions, and then make two variants in Blender to compare.

This is looking pretty damn sexy. I can't wait to try some of this out. FusTek's parts have been the best looking station parts I've seen go all the way through development, so I can't wait to see what else you release for this add-on mod.

Much appreciated :)

Have you tried a separate KSP install with just stock parts and the station parts only? What specs are your PC?

Yes, as I said on clear game all station parts works okay...

And my PC not bad at all:

Windows 7 x64

Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Kingston DDR3 16Gb 1600MHz Hyper LoVo

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard

Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2Gb

Intel SSD 120Gb 520 Series

So this is realy wierd but this is it... v_v

Yes, as I said on clear game all station parts works okay...

Then there's nothing I can do to help you, other than deleting parts that you don't need.

I have a PC less powerful than yours and have fewer mods, and (needless to say) these parts work well on my own setup.

Progress Report, 15 July 2013

The main mesh and some of the colliders for the Kupola have been completed - EVA ladders and the bottom hatch have been successfully tested as well.

ksp_fustek_kupola_wip_15_july_2013_by_sumghai-d6djcse.png

Fig 24 - (WIP) FusTek Kupola Observation Module

Overall dimensions are roughly the same as the stock Panopticon, although the Kupola will be slightly taller to more closely resemble the real-life ISS Cupola. Consequently, this makes the top circular viewport a bit smaller, but I'm considering widening the truncated hexagonal pyramid upper half to maximize interior volume.

The crude spraypainted doodles mark the location of the viewports in my texture. In R0.03a, these will be opaque with a toggleable window lights, while in R0.04a these will (hopefully) be transparent and and show actual Kerbals working inside.

I'm still tossing around the blast shield designs a bit more, but I seem to be strongly leaning towards the more space-saving iris/slider configuration - the former works just like the ones in still photography cameras / the eponymous wormhole portal generator from the Stargate franchise, whilst the latter would function more like upside-down rolling garage doors. This configuration could also potentially be used in a Lander version of the Kupola (but that'll be in a separate, hypothetical FusTek Modular Space Exploration Vehicle pack).

ASIDE: According to in-game measurements with the Jeb's Big Stick mod by Greys, Kerbals seated in the EAS-1 External Command Seat occupy the same bounding box as Kerbals in the standing pose. I suspect that the seat props the Kerbals up by a height offset relative to the surface.

Progress Report, 16 July 2013

Widened the top of the Kupola, and added textures.

ksp_fustek_kupola_wip_16_july_2013_by_sumghai-d6doybb.png

Fig 25 - (WIP) FusTek Kupola Observation Module (2)

I'm a little iffy with the somewhat brighter looking upper half, which I suspect that's something to do with lighting at odd angles. The transition between the two halves are a bit awkward as well, but I think I can dress it up with some more EVA handrails.

I've also begin studying sfr's Command Pod, which apparently has the desired see-through design. A quick peek at his parts pack reveals that he wrote a custom plugin to basically cut out the window areas and expose the IVA internals. I'll probably poke around a bit more on that in R0.04a.

Thoughts?

Looks good to me. Only problem i have with cupola is placement of docking port. Cupola is a command pod with best visibility in game, but placing Clamp-o-tron on the top (which is most convenient for almost any rocket design) cuts a lot of that visibility away. It's more a general gripe than your mods critique mind you.

Well there are times I used the Stock Cupola as a transition between the hitchhiker and some docking nodes, and truth be told it looked really cool, once I even tried viewing the docking from the IVA view of the the receiving craft, unfortunately lets just say my aim wasn't quite perfect.

I like that the Kupola has a slightly larger greenhouse to differentiate it from the stock cupola. I can't see myself using a docking port but it's nice there is a node there for those that want to use it. Would this part include an EVA hatch? I've never been fond of the placement on the stock one.

I like that the Kupola has a slightly larger greenhouse to differentiate it from the stock cupola. I can't see myself using a docking port but it's nice there is a node there for those that want to use it. Would this part include an EVA hatch? I've never been fond of the placement on the stock one.

I hope the cupola won't have an EVA hatch...I already get the feeling my space stations have a great overabundance of hatches!

Only problem i have with cupola is placement of docking port. Cupola is a command pod with best visibility in game, but placing Clamp-o-tron on the top (which is most convenient for almost any rocket design) cuts a lot of that visibility away. It's more a general gripe than your mods critique mind you.
Well there are times I used the Stock Cupola as a transition between the hitchhiker and some docking nodes, and truth be told it looked really cool, once I even tried viewing the docking from the IVA view of the the receiving craft, unfortunately lets just say my aim wasn't quite perfect.
I like that the Kupola has a slightly larger greenhouse to differentiate it from the stock cupola. I can't see myself using a docking port but it's nice there is a node there for those that want to use it.

Truth be told, I myself don't plan on putting docking ports on my own cupolas. The main reasons for doing so in these WIPs, however were:

- to ensure as much flexibility as possible, for user cases like BFGfreak

- more importantly, to optimally position the top attachment node for lifter rocket decouplers*

* Similar to how I dock the Kuest Airlock to my space stations while keeping the outer EVA hatch free of any obstructions, I would do the following:

- Insert the Kupola upside down in the VAB

- Install a docking port on the designated hatch end of the Kupola

- Attach a decoupler to the greenhouse end of the Kupola

- Build the rest of my lifter underneath

- Launch into orbit

- Dock with space station

- Fire decoupler to free the top greenhouse window

Would this part include an EVA hatch? I've never been fond of the placement on the stock one.
I hope the cupola won't have an EVA hatch...I already get the feeling my space stations have a great overabundance of hatches!

The obligatory EVA hatch will be placed at the bottom of the module, where it would then be covered up by a docking port.

Strictly speaking, as the Kupola is strictly for station observation (and not a lander cockpit), it shouldn't have any EVA hatches. But in the rare event that your space station undergoes rapid unplanned disassembly with one or more Kerbals trapped inside, they would be able to get out and await for rescue.

If you recognize anything in my profile, my personal opinion is a "hell yes" to an iris...

Earth's Alpha Gate point-of-origin glyph.

Yep, I definitely going for the iris at the top of the Kupola greeenhouse, although I'm still trying to figure out how to make the side sliding panels work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.