FusTek Station Parts Dev Thread (continuation of fusty's original work)

sumghai

I haven't run into any problems yet, though it's possible the parts don't see quite as much use now that they have ugly red text all over them :P
Yes, the external aesthetics is a bit of a deterrent

The ugly placeholder text is to primarily help people (for migration purposes) distinguish between the older (R0.03.5a) and newer, optimized parts. It also serves as a nice reminder to not get too emotionally attached to what is technically an experimental release.

Once R0.04a comes out, the red text will be gone.

The only comment I have is that the names of the "Logistics" and "Utilities" modules have always seemed backwards to me. Specifically, a logistics pod sounds like a command module and a utilities pod doesn't.
I agree on the naming of those two modules. Neither name is particularly clear on the purpose. Logistics tends to refer to coordination of many people or things, and we don't really have a concept like that in the game. Mission Control is where all logistics takes place, really. I think I would just call it 'Storage' and 'Life Support'. Anyone that wants to use TAC or any other life support extension of the game would just add it into that module anyway, so I think eventually it will become that as Squad adds it to the game. NASA would call them Logistics and Utilities, but that's really just so things sound better when they talk to Congress about money. Kerbals should be more plain-spoken and they've clearly determined they have no need for a legislature given that the first building they constructed as a society was the VAB.

To me (and the part descriptions), it's always been clear that Logistics is for storage and Utilities is the "core" module. Regardless of whether or not Kerbals are plainspoken, I prefer to keep a reasonably professional appearance in my part names*, so I'm not going to change the names.

*Descriptions still contain silly filler text, as per KSP tradition.

Just a quick question, may have already been answered in this post (I tried searching but no luck):

Are these parts compatible with career mode? I recently installed this mod and couldn't find them in career mode but only in sandbox mode. I really hope career mode is open and I'm just doing something wring with the files.

Are you sure you searched thoroughly?

R0.03.5a, the public stable release, is sandbox only

X0.04-1, the dev version posted on my blog, is available in both career and sandbox modes; as Dave7 has correctly noted, the parts are under the Composites tech node.

The ugly placeholder text is to primarily help people (for migration purposes) distinguish between the older (R0.03.5a) and newer, optimized parts. It also serves as a nice reminder to not get too emotionally attached to what is technically an experimental release.

Once R0.04a comes out, the red text will be gone.

Lol, I just went into photoshop and airbrushed the red text away for the time being :)

I've been using these a lot in my new save and haven't come up with any issues at all, so far. I'm really looking forward to the warehouse module completion for KASPAR, but I've been using it as a cargo bay for now. Will there be a possibility of having an empty one remain for that purpose after that happens?

Edited by Talisar

I've been using these a lot in my new save and haven't come up with any issues at all, so far. I'm really looking forward to the warehouse module completion for KASPAR, but I've been using it as a cargo bay for now. Will there be a possibility of having an empty one remain for that purpose after that happens?

My position as of 5 July 2013 still stands:

I gave this request a long and hard thought.

Bear in mind that these modules are primarily intended for use in space stations and planetary outposts, rather than rocket / spaceplane fuselages - Mecha Pants' interplanetary spacecraft range is the exception rather than the norm - so this parts pack will focus on the former rather than the latter.

-snip-

RoboRay's SpaceJunk Cargo Bay would probably better fit your needs - if you insist, you could always dress them up with my Karmony End Rings and Bulkheads.

As badly as it might reflect on my observational skills. I hadn't noticed until just now that I was mentioned by name in reference to intended part usage way back in july. Now I have to go back and try to rebuild one or two of those monstrosities in prep for the next parts release.

Any chance of a hatch texture (not an actual hatch, just the look) on the bulkhead part?

When using the docking ports there's a whole there that shows thru for the hatch but when using the bulkhead it looks funny cuz there's no hatch. Plus I like to be able to roleplay as if Kerbals could crawl thru the ship.

Any chance of a hatch texture (not an actual hatch, just the look) on the bulkhead part?

When using the docking ports there's a whole there that shows thru for the hatch but when using the bulkhead it looks funny cuz there's no hatch. Plus I like to be able to roleplay as if Kerbals could crawl thru the ship.

Right now, I'm thinking about making a MODEL{} node call to add the hatch mesh directly to the IACBMs instead.

I was playing with the ALCOR pod just now with the 1.25m IACBM, and noticed how jarring it was to not have a Karmony hatch. The hatch mesh will probably need a very tiny Y-offset as to not cause any Z-fighting issues with the existing hatches on the Karmony modules.

Oh hey speaking of alignment.

On the new parts... Take any Karmony Module with Adapter, Add docking port.

Now take any Karmony Module without Adapter, Add EndRing and Docking port. Compare, they don't line up the same. I think it's the node locations in the end ring.

Oh hey speaking of alignment.

On the new parts... Take any Karmony Module with Adapter, Add docking port.

Now take any Karmony Module without Adapter, Add EndRing and Docking port. Compare, they don't line up the same. I think it's the node locations in the end ring.

Strange - they lined up perfectly in my installation. Perhaps a screenshot, as well as the specific parts you were using?

In the end ring cfg node_stack_bottom and node_stack_top are in the same place.

Yes, they are.

Both the flat and the tapered modules share the same top and bottom node location, adding a end ring to a flat-ended module should not result in any offset.

Yes, they are.

Both the flat and the tapered modules share the same top and bottom node location, adding a end ring to a flat-ended module should not result in any offset.

Yep, a bad guess on my part. I checked it out in game and I see no offset. Everything lines up perfectly.

So I have composite tech unlocked in career mode and still don't see these parts available. The only thing I have not copied over to my game folder is the source, do I need to place these files into any folder or is this just source code for other moders? Thanks

And I agree on the naming of those two modules. Neither name is particularly clear on the purpose. Logistics tends to refer to coordination of many people or things

I take it you've never heard of the Multi-Purpose Logistics Module?

NASA would call them Logistics and Utilities, but that's really just so things sound better when they talk to Congress about money.

No, NASA calls them logistics modules because that's their proper name - you're confusing the current and quite recent usage in business environments with the historical usage (which originates with the military), where logistics means the shipment, handling, and storage of supplies.

That's what I figured, however I still don't have them unlocked in career mode, they show up in sandbox just fine. Any ideas?

If you installed the parts pack after unlocking the Composites node, you will need to manually unlock each of them within said node.

I know what you mean (done it for other part mods), but they aren't coming up on the science tech tree at all. I checked the cfg files, all the parts are lacking the "TechRequired=XXXX" indicator, so I have no idea how people are getting them on their tech trees?

I know what you mean (done it for other part mods), but they aren't coming up on the science tech tree at all. I checked the cfg files, all the parts are lacking the "TechRequired=XXXX" indicator, so I have no idea how people are getting them on their tech trees?

Are you sure you installed the correct version from his blog post?

Are you sure you installed the correct version from his blog post?

Aha!

At the moment, only the experimental dev build in my blog has career mode integration. I did make this quite clear in my announcement posts on 4 November 2013 (here and here), about a week before your first post asking about it.

Can you please bring back the red EVA ports? Those make it a lot easier to build the spacecraft.

The only modules that have red hatches were the Kuest Airlocks, and even then only on the EVA end - all other module have the standard yellow hatch. It's been like that since R0.01a.

Sounds like you should be using Kerbal Crew Manifest to transfer crew between modules, or support the request for SQUAD to devise better IVA navigation in the stock game.

has there been any progress because if so on the IVAs could you try talking to the guy (alexustas) who made this

I am currently busy working on new models for stupid_chris's RealChute mod.

I also already have plans for how the FusTek internals would be implemented, and having made a quick-and-dirty mockup of the Kirs, I feel that all I need is some time to sit down and consolidate common design elements / props.

Speaking of which, you need to stop constantly spamming add-on development threads with demands for updates (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20) - when people are ready to share stuff, they will do so on their own accord.

ok thank you for pointing that out to me i will be patient

Edit: i should probably mentioned that most of the time i ask for updates it is due to the idea by me that by asking i would convince the creator of the mod that people are still interested in there mods and show there work if they have any. So basically i wasn't trying to pester but to ask politely but the only way i thought i could say that is by saying "any progress?"

Edited by Helix935

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.