FusTek Station Parts Dev Thread (continuation of fusty's original work)

sumghai

awsome, glad to see it's been released, but what about remote-tech support?

Apologies for the confusion.

At present, the Karmony modules come with integrated MechJeb2 support, allowing people to operate them without any Kerbals.

However, I'm definitely planning on adding true RemoteTech support to one of the modules in the next release (specifically, the Karmony Utilities Module) - if there's anyone familiar with the functionality of RemoteTech, I'd be happy for them to help experiment with various configurations.

you know what would be great ( and what I might ty my hand at) a truss that folds.

Hmm...

A folding truss is probably too much of a challenge for me - I myself am rather fond of Semni's THSS trusses, due to their lightweight strut-like design and variety of adapters/accessories. I have some thoughts on EVA-erectable trusses (and orbital construction in general) that would be best left for another thread.

Progress Report, 11 June 2013

Barely hours after successfully posting R0.01 Alpha to SpacePort, I've started working on the next batch of crew-capable modules:

- Karmony Utility Module

- Karmony Science Module

- Karmony Habitat Module

These will be the first to feature light-up windows to add interest to space stations and planetary outposts, although they will have a cooler (whiter) color temperature compared to those in Lack's LLL parts, since I consider the former to be more realistic.

I've also been thinking more about what capabilities / resources to put into each of the crew-accessible modules; some of these are already implemented in the R0.01A release, although I have yet to finalize them. I'm rather apprehensive about including life support at this stage, since I'm sure most of us have our own ideas as to what resources people would want to deal with.

Karmony Node Mk III

CrewCapacity = 2 (While there may be room for at least six like in fusty's Mk II nodes, I personally think there are not supposed to be seats in what is ostensibly a junction that would see high foot traffic)

ElectricCharge = 100

MonoPropellant = 180

MechJeb2

Karmony Logistics Module

CrewCapacity = 2 (Again, since this is technically a corridor lined with storage bins, Kerbals would want to just grab their packed lunches and get going)

ElectricCharge = 100

MonoPropellant = 180

MechJeb2

Kuest Airlock

CrewCapacity = 1 (The airlock has storage for two EVA suits, as well as a separate lockout/decon chamber. However, it'd be sensible that the only one Kerbal is inside prepping for EVA at a time.)

ElectricCharge = 50

MonoPropellant = 90 (Might remove this, as the Kuest is intended as an add-on rather than an independently flyable unit)

Karmony Utilities Module

CrewCapacity = 2 (Two Kerbals ought to be enough to periodically monitor station operations from here)

ElectricCharge = 150

MonoPropellant = 180

MechJeb2

RTG? (Small power generation with limited capabilities - most of the time people should be building solar panel arrays or separately detachable RTG banks)

RemoteTech? (As the "core" of any space station, the Utilities Module should probably have communications / telemetry capabilities)

Karmony Science Module

CrewCapacity = 4 (Located at various science stations)

ElectricCharge = 100

MonoPropellant = 180

MechJeb2

Karmony Habitat Module

CrewCapacity = 4 (Corresponds to maximum number of wall-mounted sleep stations, but actually seated around mini dining/conference table)

ElectricCharge = 100

MonoPropellant = 180

MechJeb2

Kupola Observation Module

CrewCapacity = 2 (Seated and facing sideways rather than up)

ElectricCharge = 50

(Lander variant will be released in a separate parts pack)

...meanwhile, when you stack the stock kupola onto the end of a flat-ended module, it doesn't block the hatch either. :)

Kerbals exiting through the hatch, instead of clipping, get amusingly catapulted out.

...meanwhile, when you stack the stock kupola onto the end of a flat-ended module, it doesn't block the hatch either. :)

Kerbals exiting through the hatch, instead of clipping, get amusingly catapulted out.

Noted - I was able to reproduce this with any other part covering over the top airlock hatch.

I suspect it's something to do with the airlock collider mesh, but I haven't got the slightest clue as to how to fix this.

The parts look great! I'm already planning out my new station.

Question about future plans, are there going to be any external distinguishing features between the storage, habitation, science and utility modules besides the module ID logo?

Question about future plans, are there going to be any external distinguishing features between the storage, habitation, science and utility modules besides the module ID logo?

A most excellent question!

Yes, there will be other minor differences besides the module ID logos - there will be varying numbers/placements of windows, which would in the future correspond to IVAs.

H

Kuest Airlock

CrewCapacity = 1 (The airlock has storage for two EVA suits, as well as a separate lockout/decon chamber. However, it'd be sensible that the only one Kerbal is inside prepping for EVA at a time.)

ElectricCharge = 50

MonoPropellant = 90 (Might remove this, as the Kuest is intended as an add-on rather than an independently flyable unit)

Overall I think you can tone down on the monopropellant in general. Are any of the modules on ISS independently flyable? I know I have a highly maneuverable module lifter that mounts parts then ejects itself.

Karmony Utilities Module

CrewCapacity = 2 (Two Kerbals ought to be enough to periodically monitor station operations from here)

ElectricCharge = 150

MonoPropellant = 180

MechJeb2

RTG? (Small power generation with limited capabilities - most of the time people should be building solar panel arrays or separately detachable RTG banks)

RemoteTech? (As the "core" of any space station, the Utilities Module should probably have communications / telemetry capabilities)

I think a small bit of power generation ability wouldn't really be about of place.

Karmony Habitat Module

CrewCapacity = 4 (Corresponds to maximum number of wall-mounted sleep stations, but actually seated around mini dining/conference table)

ElectricCharge = 100

MonoPropellant = 180

MechJeb2

Oh is there any way at all you can get even one of the IVA views to be in the sleep station? That would be soooo cool!

Oh is there any way at all you can get even one of the IVA views to be in the sleep station? That would be soooo cool!

While I agree it would be cool, it would cause a bit of a situation consistency issue, namely these modules are intended for Orbiting Stations (0g) and planetary bases (>0g). So then would the kerbal in its bunk be floating (0g), or on the floor (>0g), or attached with velcro to the wall really good (either)?

Sumghai, looking at your mock-up/floor-plan for the habitation module on page 1, two vertical bunks at 1m tall and 0.6m wide each have a (flat) "wall-print" of 1m tall by 1.2m wide, whereas horizontal bunks of the same dimensions would be 1.2m tall by 1m wide, allowing for better use of the module length and better sleep comfort in a planetary base. Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to learn some blender and mock-up an (extremely) basic IVA.

This mod is awesome, and it will apparently only get better. Question: are you going to stick with the bright white texture? It looks too clean for something kerbal imho ^^ . Anyway thanks for the hard work!

Overall I think you can tone down on the monopropellant in general. Are any of the modules on ISS independently flyable? I know I have a highly maneuverable module lifter that mounts parts then ejects itself.

At the outset, my inclusion of such copious of monopropellant was intended to help with station-keeping, orientation and some somewhat decidedly unorthodox docking manoeuvres*. That said, I definitely agree that I should tone them down across the board, though.

*ASIDE: Last night, I was experimenting with simultaneous multi-node docking - I had a length of THSS trusses with two side docking ports corresponding to a similar arrangement of ports on two Mk III Nodes connected lengthwise. I set both craft to dock towards each other via MechJeb2, and managed to get a solid connection at both locations.

I think a small bit of power generation ability wouldn't really be about of place.

Righto.

Stock RTGs have a rate of 0.75 units per second. How would 5 or 10 units per second sound for the Karmony Utility Module?

While I agree it would be cool, it would cause a bit of a situation consistency issue, namely these modules are intended for Orbiting Stations (0g) and planetary bases (>0g). So then would the kerbal in its bunk be floating (0g), or on the floor (>0g), or attached with velcro to the wall really good (either)?

Sumghai, looking at your mock-up/floor-plan for the habitation module on page 1, two vertical bunks at 1m tall and 0.6m wide each have a (flat) "wall-print" of 1m tall by 1.2m wide, whereas horizontal bunks of the same dimensions would be 1.2m tall by 1m wide, allowing for better use of the module length and better sleep comfort in a planetary base. Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to learn some blender and mock-up an (extremely) basic IVA.

Moon Goddess: Although Squad's current IVA view is limited to the seated posture, I'd love to be able to make one strapped inside a sleep station, and the other three sitting around the mess table.

Archer: Yet another excellent observation, good sir.

My original intention would be to have the Kerbals in sleeping bags velcroed upright against the walls, for the following reasons:

- It's what real astronauts do on the ISS

- Velcro seems very Kerbal-y

- Vertical sleep stations would allow me to put viewports on the outside hull

Horizontal sleeping positions do seem more sensible in a >0g environment, although window placement could be problematic.

I'm also thinking of rearranging my mockup to somehow wedge the toilet and shower stations vertically between bunks. I'll have to try stuff out in SolidWorks later today.

are you going to stick with the bright white texture? It looks too clean for something kerbal imho ^^ .

The bright white panelled aesthetic is to ensure consistency with fusty's original Mk II parts, and although it does look slightly out of place amongst all the rough-and-ready stock parts, I've grown quite fond of the Fustek aesthetic.

One request- is there a way to turn down the rendering required per part? I test each pack I chose to play with, and although I have around 100+ packs, and over 9000 parts, this one seems to be one of those that forces the frame-rate to slow to a crawl. No idea why.

One request- is there a way to turn down the rendering required per part? I test each pack I chose to play with, and although I have around 100+ packs, and over 9000 parts, this one seems to be one of those that forces the frame-rate to slow to a crawl. No idea why.

That's unusual - I have a ****ty 2005 laptop that runs these parts reasonably well.

My meshes are actually rather low-poly - 24 sides per cylinder and combinations of simple cuboids for EVA handles. The detailed panelling are actually normal image maps.

I think the problem may be my use of PNG rather than compressed TGA / MBM textures - apparently Unity has a PNG import bug that may be causing this issue. I'm definitely transitioning to TGA / MBM textures in my next release, so hopefully that would fix your problem.

Ah what the hell, if the Kerbal engineers gave two licks about things like kerbonaut comfort or safety they wouldn't let Jeb anywhere near their rockets. I say go with the vertical bunks, make things interesting. Perhaps one day the ability to reconfigure it in flight will be available (and awesome).

Progress Report, 16 June 2013

Polishing off some new parts for the next release (Date TBA).

First up are the 2.5 m bulkheads, that magically transform any appropriately sized fuel tank or whatnot into a FusTek-compatible module. They're also compatible with the tapered end rings already available in R0.01a:

ksp_fustek_karmony_bulkhead_final_16_jun_2013_by_sumghai-d698dax.png

Fig 14 - FusTek Karmony Bulkhead - Final Testing

Next up, two upcoming mission-specific variants - the Utilities and Science module(s). Each will come with their own Module Identifier Symbol and toggleable window lights (thanks to some choice tips and tricks from Lack):

ksp_fustek_karmony_utilities_module_final_16_j_by_sumghai-d698db8.png

Fig 15 - FusTek Karmony Utilities Module - Final Testing

ksp_fustek_karmony_science_module_final_16_jun_by_sumghai-d698dbj.png

Fig 16 - FusTek Karmony Science Module - Final Testing

The Utilities Module is intended to act as the "core" module of any space station / planetary outpost - with this in mind, it has higher than usual amounts of power (150) and monopropellant (180) capacity, and will also come with native RemoteTech RemoteCommand support (crew not essential). I may also throw in Chatterer for good measure as well.

The Science Module will be where Kerbals conduct various experiments (e.g. analyzing rock samples from planets). If and when Squad or other modders add more meaningful scientific features to the game, the science module's CFG will be updated accordingly.

Some behind-the-scenes tweaks include:

- Lowering the monopropellant capacity of most modules from 180 down to 100. There should still be plenty for occassional orbital corrections / dockings.

- Finalized crew capacities for each module

- Node Mk III: 2

- Logistics Module: 2

- Science Module: 4

- Utilities Module: 2

- Kuest Airlock: 1

- Switched to using compressed TGA textures, as Unity apparently has a bug that loads the original PNG images much more slowly

The only module missing for R0.02a is the Karmony Habitatation Module, which will come with certain challenges:

- The placement of viewports will be directly affected by the hypothetical interior layout

- If possible, I'd like to try making viewport window lights individually toggleable (e.g. GalleyLights, SleepStation1, SleepStation2, SleepStation3, SleepStation4)

Luckily, I've already reproduced the basic Karmony module model in SolidWorks, and have already determined some key habitable dimensions - the next step would be to translate those measurements into various volumes, and block out the various compartments within the Hab module, which would help window placement.

Once again, IVAs will be left until R0.03a / R0.04a, when most of the module externals have been finalised.

Any chance we are gonna get the kupola module in this update?

I'm relegating the Kupola Observation Module to R0.03a, because of the amount of work required:

- IVA - this'll be my first go at interiors, so this would be a major challenge in itself

- See-though viewports - Kerbals working in the Kupola will be viewable, and correspond exactly to what is in the IVA view (i.e. no Kerbals in IVA = no Kerbals seen from outside)

- Animated blast shutters for the viewports - although the real ISS Cupola has bulky hinged panels, I feel that sliding ones on the sides and an iris at the top would better fit the Kerbal / FusTek aesthetic

Yesterday, I have installed "Fate" module (a pun on "Destiny") on my Horizon-2 station during KTS-19 mission:

iP88BVD.jpg

DWwyFww.jpg

ArEt2xE.jpg

e0U8WES.jpg

BTBTsnt.jpg

You could've watched the whole mission on KSP Livefeed yesterday. Tonight I am doing KTS-20 =) Not on Horizon-2 however, next thing on Horizon-2 is Kuest =)

Looks like an epic mission.

Loving the KAS/DR robot arm, I've used a similar combo to make an aimable grappling hook to deorbit debris (hot tip, put the winch on a clam-o-tron Jr and use the Lazer docking camera to aim).

sumghai, have you though about writing some missions for your modules for use with the Mission Controller mod?

Loving the KAS/DR robot arm, I've used a similar combo to make an aimable grappling hook to deorbit debris (hot tip, put the winch on a clam-o-tron Jr and use the Lazer docking camera to aim).

I am trying to avoid using Lazor, it's physics extension system is too buggy. Otherwise I'd use Lazor's robootic arms. And the reason why I use KAS as an end effector is cause clampotrons are buggy for this, they stop working sometimes. With KAS you can control when something is docked and when not cause the collisions are problem sometimes. It could all be done much easier with a tug but I need to do the harder way xD It's more fun with self designed arms

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.