FusTek Station Parts Dev Thread (continuation of fusty's original work)

sumghai

Earth's Alpha Gate point-of-origin glyph.

That, and his signature means "to the stars through stargates". :P

Anyway, I have a question: is it intentional that there is no flat-ended version of the airlock? It looks a bit out of place if I slot it to one of the monolithic sections of a space station.

Yep, I definitely going for the iris at the top of the Kupola greeenhouse, although I'm still trying to figure out how to make the side sliding panels work.

I have a suggestion for the side windows. If you have ever seen The Chronicles of Riddick, the ship that Riddick steals From Toombs has these shutters on its windows. It is similar in movement of vertical blinds, where the bottom shutter moves until it is flush with the next shutter, and then those two together move in unison to the next shutter, and so on.

For the side windows you can do something similar. Here is a quick example of what I mean. All pieces are the same height. top piece begins sliding down first, until it is in line with the second piece. Then those two move together down to the thirs piece until its flush. And so on.

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

is it intentional that there is no flat-ended version of the airlock? It looks a bit out of place if I slot it to one of the monolithic sections of a space station.

Airlocks are supposed to be separate from other modules, so yes there is no non-tapered version.

I have a suggestion for the side windows. If you have ever seen The Chronicles of Riddick, the ship that Riddick steals From Toombs has these shutters on its windows. It is similar in movement of vertical blinds, where the bottom shutter moves until it is flush with the next shutter, and then those two together move in unison to the next shutter, and so on.

For the side windows you can do something similar. Here is a quick example of what I mean. All pieces are the same height. top piece begins sliding down first, until it is in line with the second piece. Then those two move together down to the thirs piece until its flush. And so on.

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Aha!

I thought about something like that as well, and while I was initially concerned about where to put the tracks for the individual sliding segments, I then realised that said tracks could actually run right down the middle of the segments.

You're a legend, gracae ;)

Edited by sumghai

You're a legend, gracae ;)

I try :P

Kudos on all the excellent work sumghai! Station parts are real slick. I've been thinking of doing a Troy-style mars mission after 0.21 with orbital assembling, and these fit the bill. Going to have it built with Orbital construction and delivered via skylons as conceptualized.

Here is a first pass at the Manned Craft, and the FAR and DR capable Skylon that can bring 25T of payload comfortably to orbit and return.

tcZzwHi.jpg

u6uLZjX.jpg

Kudos on all the excellent work sumghai! Station parts are real slick. I've been thinking of doing a Troy-style mars mission after 0.21 with orbital assembling, and these fit the bill. Going to have it built with Orbital construction and delivered via skylons as conceptualized.

Here is a first pass at the Manned Craft, and the FAR and DR capable Skylon that can bring 25T of payload comfortably to orbit and return.

I read up about Reaction Engines TROY just now - I'm personally quite fond of the fact that it involves orbital construction of crew transfer / cargo craft, which consequently means a significant portion of the craft could be reused.

That Skylon replica is waay too cool - DR / FAR compatibility is just icing on the cake :)

Now wait until you see this...

Progress Report, 18 July 2013

Added ring of EVA handles at the apex of the Kupola greenhouse, and implemented the side sliding segmented blast shutters (as devised by gracae).

ksp_fustek_kupola_wip_18_july_2013_by_sumghai-d6dyopy.png

Fig 25 - (WIP) FusTek Kupola Observation Module (3)

In the VAB/SPH, the part preview will show the Kupola with open viewports, but the actual part in the building area will have the blast shutters closed by default - I figured it was sensible to keep the viewports protected from launch to final deployment.

The shutter controls will be accessible from both the in-game context menu GUI and via Action Group key assignments.

The inclusion of toggleable shutters meant that I needed a way to handle multiple, independent and persistent animations per part, so I replaced the stock ModuleLight and ModuleAnimateGeneric with the FS_animateGeneric from Snjo's Firespitter parts/plugin pack. I'll need to get permission from Snjo to include his plugin in future releases of my station parts pack, though.

At the moment, I'm temporarily using the stock Cupola IVA, but already we can see that the (toggleable) shutters work to block out the windows, as intended.

Kupola TODO:

- Figure out how to do iris shutter animation

- Finalize shutter textures

- Obtain permission from Snjo to distribute his plugin with my pack

R0.03a TODO:

- Final cleanup/checking of meshes/CFGs

- Update release notes

- Revamp brochure images in main announcement thread, most likely as an Imgur slideshow

R0.03a ETA:

- When it's done.

It's a stand-in, as per my TODO list.

Seriously, there's no need to keep ribbing me about being "anal" toward requests or WIP textures.

I said it once mate, don't get your knickers in a twist. Clearly you are not a dinky di aussie.

Kupola TODO:

- Figure out how to do iris shutter animation

FYI, the Art of Reentry heatshield pack has an animated heatshield with an iris-type deployment. I'm not sure if that's useful in any way, but maybe if you're able to use that part as an example...http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/art-of-reentry-4/

By the way, the shutters look awesome!

FYI, the Art of Reentry heatshield pack has an animated heatshield with an iris-type deployment. I'm not sure if that's useful in any way, but maybe if you're able to use that part as an example...http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/art-of-reentry-4/

Interesting. I'm not too fond of the spiked overlapping leaves, though. Besides, what would be more useful for me would be how to model the individual leaves and rigging them for animation.

Progress Report, 21 July 2013

Added EVA handgrips to frames of greenhouse windows and implemented the top shutters.

ksp_fustek_kupola_final_21_july_2013_by_sumghai-d6eeilf.png

Fig 26 - FusTek Kupola Observation Module - Final Testing

Now, while I did intend for the top shutter to be an iris, here's what happened:

- Non-overlapping irises tend to be space inefficient, such that the retracted leaves cannot be discreetly hidden within the thin ring-like frame

- The Stargate iris has the annoying spiked area in the centre where the tips of the overlapping leaves curl up into some wacko metal flower - OHS said no.

- An iris design where the overlapping leave are constrained to not stick out the middle, as per this, showed some promise to the extent that a working prototype was tested in-game. However, the overlapping leaves had such similar Z-positions that the dreaded twitching of textures (AKA Z-fighting) occurred, which had the potential to impact in-game performance. Another problem was that the edges of the individual leaves could not be discerned at all, resulting in what looks like a solid featureless plate with a expanding and contracting hole in the center.

For these reasons, I decided to opt for simplicity and have similar telescoping shutters at the top window instead.

Some of you may also recall that I was trying to obtain permission from Snjo to include his Firespitter animation modules into my pack. A few forum posts and PMs' later, he suggested I compile a private copy of his animation modules into my own plugin, which I have done so and tested to my satisfaction.

All that remains for R0.03a is some documentation cleanup and folder restructuring before I release the new parts next weekend.

I like it. Granted I was kind of hoping for something looking a little more heavy duty like the real life cupola, but this is definatly a pretty good way to do blast shutters.

Now about your IVA, assuming I put it out on the launch pad as shown in your shots, will the kerbal be laying on his back like the stock Cupola or will he be standing up?

Now about your IVA, assuming I put it out on the launch pad as shown in your shots, will the kerbal be laying on his back like the stock Cupola or will he be standing up?

At the moment, I'm using the stock KSP Cupola internal, so yes, the Kerbals are lying on their backs.

When I begin work on R0.04a, I will be making a proper Kupola IVA with room for three Kerbals to sit upright like in the real ISS Cupola.

R0.03a released - see announcements thread for download link

R0.03a          22 July 2013
---------------------------

Features:
- New Parts
- Karmony Parts Warehouse Module
- Karmony Node Cover
- Karmony Node Cover - Viewport Variant
- Kirs Docking Module
- Kuest Legacy Airlock
- Kupola Observation Module
- Karmony Parts Warehouse Module is designed for use with the OrbitalConstruction Redux mod, and can store up to 200 units of SpareParts
- Kirs Docking Module acts as a 1.25m diameter standoff for docking space stations with vessels that are unable to approach closer
- Kuest Legacy Airlock is functionally equivalent to the standard Kuest Airlock, but is cheaper and lighter, at the expense of not rated for use on planetary surfaces
- Kupola Observation Modules come with animated blast shutters to protect occupants from space debris. Most of the time.
- The FusTek_Sumghai.dll plugin, specifically compiled to handle multiple animations per part, is now included in the pack
- This was developed with the assistance of Snjo, and uses portions of his Firespitter.dll code

Fixes
- Tweaked rendering and collision meshes
- This should greatly reduce the "freeze-on-drag" issue some users experience in the VAB and especially in the SPH
- Model file sizes have consequently been reduced by up to 50%
- Reverted to using PNG textures, which reduces texture file sizes and memory usage (according to some users)
- Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked
- Lowered ElectricCharge rate of Utility Modules to 15.0 / min
- Older value was far too overpowered and had made Solar panels useless
- Newer value now forces players to add their own solar panels and/or RTGs if more than three other modules are connected in the same structure

Bugs/Known Issues
- All crew-capable modules currently STILL use either the default generic "UniKarmony" or the stock KSP Cupola internal model
- Work on module-specific unique internals will begin in the next version (R0.04a)
- Karmony Parts Warehouse Module will be outfitted with animated cargo bay doors and internal payload magazine rack once nothke finishes making his KASPAR mod

Edited by sumghai
Incorrect hyperlink name

Sounds great! I especially appreciate the parts warehouse module--no more big orange fuel tanks with spare parts in them!

Edit: will there be a flat-ended version of the Kupola? Right now, the Kupola looks strange when attached to adapters, it won't attach to end rings at all, and it looks really weird if you connect it with Clampotron docking nodes.

Edited by Kimberly

Sounds great! I especially appreciate the parts warehouse module--no more big orange fuel tanks with spare parts in them!

I share your sentiments regarding the confusion that would result from the original OrbitalConstruction Redux mod reusing stock models.

Edit: will there be a flat-ended version of the Kupola? Right now, the Kupola looks strange when attached to adapters, it won't attach to end rings at all, and it looks really weird if you connect it with Clampotron docking nodes.

A flat-ended version of the Kupola will be available at some point in the future, but not as a station/outpost component - instead, it'll be a lander / rover cockpit with its own IVA configuration and flight instruments. But that's for another parts pack.

Stealth patch for R0.03a uploaded

CFG change only - this lowers the SpareParts quantity in the Warehouse module down to 100, as the original 200 was too OP for the standardized size of the Karmony series module.

If you do not wish to redownload the whole pack just for this fix, you can edit the Warehouse module CFGs to use the new (lowered) value.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason that the center of mass of your parts is significantly above the visual center of the object? Is this to simulate where the mono-propellant is stored or some other simulated weight imbalance? Anyway, your work is excellent and I love the new shutters on the cupola. Thank you for the effort you have put into this project.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason that the center of mass of your parts is significantly above the visual center of the object? Is this to simulate where the mono-propellant is stored or some other simulated weight imbalance? Anyway, your work is excellent and I love the new shutters on the cupola. Thank you for the effort you have put into this project.

It's more to do with an old EVA hatch bug.

The original intent for the Karmony modules was to not have any EVA hatches at all (with the exception of the dedicated airlock modules), and have people use the Kerbal Crew Manifest mod to move crew internally between modules. Since not everyone would want to use certain mods, I decided to put EVA hatches anyway. Fusty's original Mk II Node models had a emergency escape hatch located on the side, which I found to be somewhat unrealistic, so in R0.01a and R0.02a, I instead reassigned the EVA hatches to the forward hatch mesh on the modules, where they would be covered up by docking ports.

In KSP, an invisible collider box is used to determined the bounds of the airlock area where the Kerbal on EVA would spawn in - this collider also checks to see if the hatch is being obstructed by other objects, and if so, prevents EVA from that location.

Stock KSP and most mod command pods have their EVA hatches very close to their part origins (<1m in-game). Because I assigned my EVA hatches to one of the ends of the full-length 3.75m module, this puts the hatches 1.875m away from the part origin, and as a result, the airlock collider boxes in my modules didn't work properly - at that point, a Kerbal would be able to EVA out of a blocked hatch and cause entire space stations to explode.

As there was no other way of fixing this issue, from R0.02.1a onwards I decided to simply move the part origin up closer to the airlock, which allows the hatch obstruction checking colliders to work normally again. Obviously, it did have the unfortunate consequence of causing modules in already-launched vessel to shift their positions, resulting in many ruined flights for people.

Most people here on the forums are (reasonably) understanding, compared with the vitriol I get from certain Spaceport users.

A flat-ended version of the Kupola will be available at some point in the future, but not as a station/outpost component - instead, it'll be a lander / rover cockpit with its own IVA configuration and flight instruments. But that's for another parts pack.

I'm loving the station parts and expansions. I especially like that the Karmony Node Cover vie port lights up. Very nice attention to detail!

I had started to use the ISS parts pack that BobCat herded into being but decided to go back to these as a matter of course. I like the feel of these better.

I have two stations up (A KSS and an orbital fuel tanker) and as I've orbited every single module with it's own rocket, it's taken time and resources away from exploring the rest of the system. KSS is a command station to provide alternate command function for robot probes/ships via the Remote-Tech system. The Fuel Station has been constructed and not yet used for the as yet planned Crew/lander transfer ships.

With your addition of the Karmony Parts Warehouse Module, I'm probably going to start doing a Mun Base expansion over a the few Home Modules that are there. Combined with the Kethane pack and robotic landers for drilling, I'll be building the tanker and other mun rover vehicles with the spare parts and orbital construction system rather than trying to fly them. Everything I fly is either streamlined OR goes under a shroud so getting a good large munTanker that landed is just so challenging. At this point, I'd rather fly modules up with spare parts and land them and then build the craft on the ground.

Thoughts/ideas:

A thought on the Kupola, is it possible to have the seating mode change between two 90° positions? Seems like that would allow one module with two functional modes. Either as a command point looking all around OR as a forward looking glass house cockpit mode. I have no idea if that's possible.

Any thoughts on an end bulkhead for the 2.5 meter flat modules that would integrate some landing struts/legs configured fora horizontal landing position? Something that's low enough that there's maybe a .5 clearance under them? I'm looking to make a mun-base with these modules, they're the right size an I'm figuring they'll work well. The rigid peg legs seem to work well, but some folding units that fit integrally would be nifty and make it easier to get them into orbit or down to the Mun.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get them down to the Mun at this point. First step was building a crane vehicle BUT that's presenting chicken/egg issues with the orbital construction pack. I can move the modules with a KAS configured crane truck (more or less an 8x8 wrecker with a jib). It's kinda bulky and not terribly precise but I can swing parts into place and dock them without too much effort.

Just something to think about.

With your addition of the Karmony Parts Warehouse Module, I'm probably going to start doing a Mun Base expansion over a the few Home Modules that are there. Combined with the Kethane pack and robotic landers for drilling, I'll be building the tanker and other mun rover vehicles with the spare parts and orbital construction system rather than trying to fly them. Everything I fly is either streamlined OR goes under a shroud so getting a good large munTanker that landed is just so challenging. At this point, I'd rather fly modules up with spare parts and land them and then build the craft on the ground.

That's pretty much how I play KSP as well - it a payload doesn't fit inside a KW Rocketry fairing, I either redesign it to be smaller, or break the assembly down to more manageable subassemblies.

A thought on the Kupola, is it possible to have the seating mode change between two 90° positions? Seems like that would allow one module with two functional modes. Either as a command point looking all around OR as a forward looking glass house cockpit mode. I have no idea if that's possible.

I had that in mind originally, but it seems that one cannot do animated interiors, at least from my understanding.

Besides, the Kupola Cockpit variant will have slightly different geometry - in addition to not having the bottom taper, there will also be an actual, intentional emergency escape hatch on the side like the stock PPD-12 Cupola - this is so that the Kupola Cockpit could be used by itself as a minimal lander crew compartment, or mated to other fuselages as pressurized exploration vehicles / rovers.

Any thoughts on an end bulkhead for the 2.5 meter flat modules that would integrate some landing struts/legs configured fora horizontal landing position? Something that's low enough that there's maybe a .5 clearance under them? I'm looking to make a mun-base with these modules, they're the right size an I'm figuring they'll work well. The rigid peg legs seem to work well, but some folding units that fit integrally would be nifty and make it easier to get them into orbit or down to the Mun.

At some point (probably in R0.05a) I definitely want to make some foldaway landing legs that allow these modules to be laid down horizontally, but as a separate set of parts rather than built into the bulkheads. However, my present dilemma is that I also want to make some crab-steering rover wheels, designed such that if one module had landing legs and one module had the wheels, the wheeled module would be able to line up perfectly and dock with the module with the landing legs.

On top of that, I'll need to make both fit inside a expanded 2.5 m fairing.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get them down to the Mun at this point. First step was building a crane vehicle BUT that's presenting chicken/egg issues with the orbital construction pack. I can move the modules with a KAS configured crane truck (more or less an 8x8 wrecker with a jib). It's kinda bulky and not terribly precise but I can swing parts into place and dock them without too much effort.

One of my more successful attempts involved placing one module atop of a special lander base (consisting of a large probe unit, a flat fuel tank and lots of tiny engines). After landing vertically, I extend the module's own legs, retract one of the lander base's legs to tip the whole assembly over, then jettison the lander base. The now-horizontal module can now wait for a KAS crane truck to come pick it up and dock it to the rest of the Mun base.

My biggest challenge right now would be building a very compact heavy-lift crane truck, again one that could fit inside a fairing.

Fusty's original Mk II Node models had a emergency escape hatch located on the side, which I found to be somewhat unrealistic, so in R0.01a and R0.02a, I instead reassigned the EVA hatches to the forward hatch mesh on the modules, where they would be covered up by docking ports.

You'll probably dislike this but...

Would it be possible to reposition the EVA hatch on the node module to one of the side ports? If only so the Mk. III node gets balanced; which is the only one that really *needs* to be balanced. Since if you have a node at the centre of an otherwise balanced setup of station components... Whee uneven rotation. (Unless you stack two station nodes, back to front.)

Just a wild idea. Also, I love the station parts so much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.