Anyone tried out the new Rover wheels?

Aeshi

From just looking at them they seem to be a slightly bigger Medium wheel, but I haven't really had a chance to try them out yet.

If what their description says about "extra grip" is true then I guess they could be useful on super-low gravity moons (like Minimus & Ghilly)

i still prefer the rounded brown ones. I don't really see why you would use these as grip doesn't seem to be an issue in KSP. Apart from looking cool they don't seem to have many redeeming qualities at first glance. unless the "grip" means they magnetically attach to the ground (which is possible, it is a game) then 95 percent of my rovers end up on their sides or upside down from a poorly timed turn or taking a bump too fast.

From some basic ground tests on KSC grounds, they are slightly slower, but more resistant to impacts. They should be better for heavier rovers or rovers that land on their wheels. As mentioned above they also do not turn as tight, this could help reduce flips since you cannot turn as hard. You would have to take them to a mountain range to test the grip even the other medium wheels can crawl up the steep side of the launch pad.

i still prefer the rounded brown ones. I don't really see why you would use these as grip doesn't seem to be an issue in KSP. Apart from looking cool they don't seem to have many redeeming qualities at first glance. unless the "grip" means they magnetically attach to the ground (which is possible, it is a game) then 95 percent of my rovers end up on their sides or upside down from a poorly timed turn or taking a bump too fast.

Grip is an huge issue on low gravity worlds, it make the rover handle as you drive with racing tires on ice, even an issue turning as you end up drifting, the latest might give you problem is you jump and come down sideways.

I tried the new ones, but they won't move at all, the rover sinks into the ground. I can wiggle them...

Okay, after putting them on the right way, they work quite well and seem to promise an excellent way to upgrade my rovers for stability without sacrificing too much speed at all. And they're more energy efficient, too!

I kind of like them... They are obviously designed for low grav worlds (just look how low the suspension drops on Kerbin). I'm going to have to drop a rover on Minmus to try out the new wheels but I think they will do well.

I gave them a try and maybe it's just the way I built my rover but I spent about 70% of my time with them either skidding out of control when I tried to turn or flipping over when I tried to brake.

I think I'll just stick with the regular medium wheels, they're just as fast and any crash that would break them would probably paste the Rover itself anyway.

Edited by Aeshi

I guess you haven't done much driving on low-g moons. :)

Smallest rover wheels + Gilly (or equivilent) = RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah the new wheels are my new favorite thing.

Edited by Rage097
cuz' double posting is bad

I guess you haven't done much driving on low-g moons. :)

Actually I just tried my Rover on Minimus and the whole "extra grip!" thing seems to be a massive lie anyway, with these new wheels my rover was often getting tossed into the air simply by turning (and I was doing a lot of turning, because these wheels seem to make the 'Symmetrical craft randomly lean to the left for no reason' bug way more noticeable)

Have you remapped your rover buttons to the IJKL ones because the WASD buttons don't just turn the rover, they torque the rover around its axis as well.

I rebinded the Rover driving controls away from WASD (I use my numpad keys to drive my rover) if that's what you mean.

To me it looks like they have too much grip, when I try to turn in low gravity going faster then 5 m/s my rover just starts flipping. On brown wheels I can do turns at 12-15 m/s.

The improved grip is so you can get better traction for accelerating. They won't magically make your vehicle stick to the ground if ypu're trying to turn too quickly on a world where your vehicle has negligible weight but all of its original inertia. That's just the physics of the situation.

Have you remapped your rover buttons to the IJKL ones because the WASD buttons don't just turn the rover, they torque the rover around its axis as well.

You don't need to remap - just go into docking mode and control your rover from there.

I really like the new wheels, they work way better on low gravity worlds. Just make sure you design your rovers with VERY low center of gravity... My old standard Lander Can based rover design with four of the new wheels on Minmus is quite challenging to drive. But it CAN make it up hills with some careful driving, unlike the old medium wheels which never got enough traction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.