First Command Module always populated?

bigdad84

So is there a way to turn this off? Because I would like to make an Altair style lander (as I have in the past) that launches into orbit without crew. But every time I add a probe and then a Command Module it always has Kerbals in it? :rolleyes:

Normal, if you choose a probe core as first (command) module I would expect any additional command module to be not populated.

At least IIRC this has been the case in previous versions

If you choose a crewed command module as your first command module then yes, it would always be populated.

You could use the Crew Manifest Mod, it allows you to empty the crew pods or reassamble your crew inside the craft.

That's what I was just looking in to. Seems kind of silly to have to use a mod for that. But oh well :)

This has changed in the new version: the first crewable pod will be crewed, there's no way to prevent this.

...and apparently .20 breaks the crew manifest mod as well so this really limits my options for KOR munar missions + launching unkerballed stations, at least for the moment :mad:

That said, the ability to delete and change the root part is really cool, and gives me a lot of flexibility- I can build standardized booster designs and just add the payload I want to them.

Out of curiosity- do crew tanks count as crewable pods now?

So, I think I could use some clarity here. Are you guys telling me that in 0.20, if I begin constructing a rocket with a probe as the focus, any additional capsules I add will be crewed anyway? That doesn't sound like much of a feature, since I had made a habit of flying missions with empty capsules in 0.19; you know, test flights and what not. I wonder what the purpose of this change might be?

Only way to make rescue vessels now (all have already been stated but i feel it would be good to reiterate in a list... i like lists)

Make your vessel as normal, and EVA your Kerbals, and leave them at KSC;

Make your vessel as normal, but use hitchhiker module instead of a command module;

and, Use the newly updated Crew Manifest mod

:)

Only the first crewable capsule JeanHavoc, this was a design choice. If you don't want the Kerbal launched just EVA him before launch since you can always control the rocket through the probe.

Is this how it will always be? Seems odd that you can't just have a list pop up and select which crewable compartments will be filled and which will be left blank. Granted it's not exactly high priority either.

This has caused me to more frequently send up return craft to my space station and to add more hab modules.

Most of the craft I send up are intended never to return to Kerbin except when they're decommissioned. In the previous version, all but one craft per mission would be sent up manned.

Jeb needs some elbow room on my space station. And one of the new guys keeps farting.

Since we're moving focus to Career mode, that means a proper crew management system will come soonerâ„¢ rather than later, so it won't be a problem for too long.

Awesome! Glad to hear. I won't have to park extra kerbals underneath the rockets now.

Things like choosing your crew and their allocation of position really should be put into the core game. If I were making, say, a colony ship, it only makes sense I'd want to put as many people as I could fit in it.

Unless it was fixed from previous versions, kerbals can fall off the capsule when you EVA them. This would result in them possibly plummeting to their death if I have to EVA them out of a capsule I want empty. This was thought to be a Good Idea?

It might be irritating in some ways but at least now I can build a rover in the SPH, move it to the VAB and build a rocket with a capsule. If the first capsule didn't get crewed I wouldn't be able to build a rover with just a seat or I would have to send 2 rockets, one with crew and the other with the rover.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.