The Baxter MkI - A new rover concept

In this save I'm naming all my vehicles, stations and bases after sci-fi authors. For instance, I have a Verne Station, a Clarke Base and a Niven Orbiter. This one was named after Stephen Baxter.

very nice ;)

have you tried your rover on the mun or any other planet/moon already?

Yes. I'll post a few pics tomorrow, since I'm going to bed now. It isn't faring very well, but I believe there's a bug with the rover wheels that's going to be fix in the next bugfix patch.

@OP:

Did you design this with a specific launch vehicle in mind? Have you flown it to any other planets/moons?

@Everyone else

Has anyone gotten this rover to another body? How'd you do it?

I've sent it to the Mun, so far. Here's how I did it:

screenshot140.png

I'm not very good at designing launch vehicles, since this monster barely managed to get the rover and its lander in orbit. I had to decouple the lander and used most of its fuel to circularize the orbit, then docked a tug to the lander to refuel it and tow it to the Mun's orbit.

I'm not very happy with how the lander looked, but it worked. Next time I think I'll worry a bit more about the launch when designing a vehicle.

screenshot144.png

screenshot145.png

I've sent it to the Mun, so far. Here's how I did it:

I'm not very good at designing launch vehicles, since this monster barely managed to get the rover and its lander in orbit. I had to decouple the lander and used most of its fuel to circularize the orbit, then docked a tug to the lander to refuel it and tow it to the Mun's orbit.

I'm not very happy with how the lander looked, but it worked. Next time I think I'll worry a bit more about the launch when designing a vehicle.

EDIT:removed images from quote

Thanks for the reply! The landing mechanism seems very clever to me. I now have more ideas for my own rover designs. Getting them to the destination is always my largest problem.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.