Large Docking Adapter DOES Help Prevent Wobble!

Caelib

So, I built an entirely new space station (100% stock) using the new docking ports exclusively ... zero wobble (but I do use strategically-placed struts)! Here's a pic:

2yybh39.png

Edited by Caelib

I always thought the wobble was when you applied force to an area connected by the docking ports. Say putting together a large interplanetary ship.

Correct -- I can turn this thing with ASAS or RCS, use rockets to move it ... no wobble. A very similar design station I had would practically break in half if I tried to move it.

So you mean it doesn't oscillate itself into oblivion anymore? This is wonderful news. In the past, the only way I could get my stations to stop wiggling like jello was to time warp.

Forever.

I launched my "fuel pods" up, using these new docking adapters. Apart from the fact that fuel was flowing through them (my fault), it worked beautifully. They were incredibly stable. My design for 0.19 used the smaller ones, and that ship wobbled like crazy getting to orbit. Because of this new part, I'm redoing my whole set up from scratch.

Yeah, I made the same mistake Merinsan. When my final vehicle got to the Mun I fired the engines and they lasted about a second before dying... I then realised all the fuel had gone through the darn docking adapter because I hadn't isolated my lander. So my orbital ship had all the darn fuel because it burned top down (ie from the lander first). I thought it was being a bit frugal with the fuel lol.

I'd say just the fact that this thing got into orbit is a testament to that.

2013_05_22_00003.jpg

I pendulum'd it up with 4 mainsails and a string of jumbo fuel tanks from the center. It wobbled a lot, but held together! Once up in orbit the thing is rock solid.

I'd say just the fact that this thing got into orbit is a testament to that.

I pendulum'd it up with 4 mainsails and a string of jumbo fuel tanks from the center. It wobbled a lot, but held together! Once up in orbit the thing is rock solid.

If you sent that thing up all at once id love to see a pic of the lifter.

The real test will be comparing these to Temstar's heavy-duty ports.

I'm interested in this myself. I'm still trying to brainstorm an objective way of testing though rather than judging by eye.

If anyone's done testing between this new large docking adaptor vs multiple docking I'll be very interested in seeing the results.

I imagine that the unique objective way we got is by the g-forces. Put a mainsail under

1-an assambly of two rocko jumbo linked by your system

2- the same assembly linked by the docking port Sr

Throtlle...

see when it's breaking.

It doesn't actually mesure the wobble but will say something on the stenght of the devices.

I haven't tested this, but I assume a senior docking port won't work with the regular ones or Jr docking ports?

If that's the case one advantage of using a quad is they can be used both with other quads for big payload or as a single standard docking port:

screenshot1531.jpg

I'm interested in this myself. I'm still trying to brainstorm an objective way of testing though rather than judging by eye.

If anyone's done testing between this new large docking adaptor vs multiple docking I'll be very interested in seeing the results.

No objective testing, but I hacked a Zeus and an Olympus with the new adapters last night and it seemed pretty danged stable. Only the slightest wobble (I.E. possibly perception) with the Zeus firewalled. The quad may be multiple mode, but the Sr. is orders of magnitude easier to dock.

Yep I've found it to be much stabler, during launch too.

Bear in mind it's flatter whereas the normal docking ports are protruding from the base structure. Les use of quantum struts for me now :)

I got a small Kerbin station up after a bit of stupidity mitigation last night. I will say:

= The new larger docking ports are awesome, very stable and work well, but they aren't as good as Fusty's CBM modules. If you want a stock solution though they are ideal.

= When looking from the side it's hard to tell which way is the 'right way up'. I attempted to dock 2 modules last night to find one had the docking port flipped the wrong way up. Chaos ensued. :P

= You can indeed perform OMS work with these docking ports with minimal resonance. As a result of the chaos from the above stupidity on my part, I had to reset the station's orbit using one of the OMS donkey engines I was using to push payloads up to orbit. Worked like a charm where before even small stations of docked modules had shaken so much that MechJeb just spazzed out and couldn't perform the manoeuvres.

= I had a minor issue with MechJeb 2.0 not cutting the docking autopilot when the two halves docked. I guess that's MechJeb's fault though.

All-in-all it's a win I think. Especially for Stock-only purists.

I got a small Kerbin station up after a bit of stupidity mitigation last night. I will say:

= When looking from the side it's hard to tell which way is the 'right way up'. I attempted to dock 2 modules last night to find one had the docking port flipped the wrong way up. Chaos ensued. :P

In the VAB, you can tell when they are inverted; one side is flatter with a small cross in the middle and the other looks like a docking collar ring, hard to tell unless you're really zoomed in.

Edit >> some pics

Correct way

2013-05-24_00019.jpg

Upside down way

2013-05-24_00020.jpg

Edited by Ells

I haven't tested this, but I assume a senior docking port won't work with the regular ones or Jr docking ports?

I haven't flight-tested it, but in the VAB a Sr. connects just fine with a regular CoT or even a Jr.

So... simpler all around, if the strengths are comparable.

I haven't flight-tested it, but in the VAB a Sr. connects just fine with a regular CoT or even a Jr.

In the VAB you can connect a clamp Jr to a regular one, and it doesn't match anymore once you are in flight...

So, can we edit the normal and small docking ports to work like the big ones?

I don't see in the .cfg file nothing different between the large and the smaller ones. In the Berthing Mechanims, the docking ports had BreakingForce and BreakingTorque. I suspect the stability to come from the flat design.

Edited by Akalaël

That thing looks solid! I'm loving how we can use 2 m parts for stations now more easily. Now all we need is a 2 m 6-way docking adaptor...

Could you use the 1.5m 6 way adapter and attach the 1.5m to 2.5m adapter cones to it, so in effect it is a big 6-way 2.5m adapter? I haven't tried it, but the thought occured to me.

Could you use the 1.5m 6 way adapter and attach the 1.5m to 2.5m adapter cones to it, so in effect it is a big 6-way 2.5m adapter? I haven't tried it, but the thought occured to me.

You can, but it is more parts than a stock 2.5m adapter and can cause a bit more wobble when under high stress.

I usually use the CBMs, and they are (usually) pretty rock solid. Though, their textures don't seem to match perfectly with stock Kerbal style, and I like the Sr port better for the caution stripes and handles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.