The Icarus Project

Bluegobln

• 2 weeks later...
Well I don't think there's a way to have actual reflective surfaces in KSP right now. If there is, then yeah, the material for a shield meant to protect ships in low Kerbol orbit would nearly be a mirror I think. The current textures I'm making is just black patterned, something kinda like a re-entry heat shield would be.

I don't know if there's a good way to represent that other than an actual reflective surface. If we use an extremely shiny metallic coating it might be close, but it wouldn't be the same. :|

Tah dah!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37383-0-21-x-ReflectiveShader-Plugin-(Version-1-2)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Although this thread is unluckily dead, the 16 m shield will be part of my grand tour craft, but I wanted a gold one, and a nicer gold one then the current part, so... I made my own texture. If anyone needs it, get it from here (4th pic, right click, save, etc.) and replace the texture in the gold version (see first page for download). No additional rights reserved, I took the gold texture from http://o-o-o-o-0-o-o-o-o.deviantart.com/art/Seamless-Gold-Texture-324236433

Screenshot103.png

Screenshot104.png

Screenshot105.png

model000.png

Edited by papics
gold texture source

OK, working on an update to bring this up to spec with DRE. Initial tests have been promising, but have some issues to work through.

I use both the shield and i have them gold textured aswell , would be great to get a update working with DRE.

OK, still debugging the amount of ablative to add... But once I have something, I'll share it here.

Quick question: how many times would you likely reuse as shield for multiple aerobraking passes? I have a LOT of ablative on the large ones, but I don't know if it's too much.

OK, still debugging the amount of ablative to add... But once I have something, I'll share it here.

Quick question: how many times would you likely reuse as shield for multiple aerobraking passes? I have a LOT of ablative on the large ones, but I don't know if it's too much.

Good question , Depends if im using the small shield maybe a pass or 2 , but when I use the big shield I need the smaller one in the inside to fill the gap. Dont know if that would effect it . When using the greater shield I would say no more then a few passes but im using the greater one more as a sun shield and the smaller one more as heat shield but both would be nice.

OK, as promised, abusive reentry test performed.

setup: Front -> 16m shield | 23m shield | 4000 ec battery pack (stock) | Large Remote Guidance Unit | NP 2.5m SAS module | FASA Centaur-Transstage

Entered Kerbin's atmosphere at almost 5 km/s to simulate a return from another planet. PeA was set really low to ensure I didn't skip out on an escape trajectory.

16m shield peaked at 2575*C, 23m shield reached 950. Began to tumble beyond the torque wheels' ability to compensate at 20km altitude, and the G-load promptly exceeded 50G's. Craft broke up at 2700m/s.

Overall, the system is a success. I'm almost ready to release these, still need to check the BIG shield.

EDIT: The 45m shield is too large, even in its folded state, for me to safely launch. I will have to assume it will perform as required.

I'll post the new .cfgs here in a few minutes.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

OK, as promised, abusive reentry test performed.

setup: Front -> 16m shield | 23m shield | 4000 ec battery pack (stock) | Large Remote Guidance Unit | NP 2.5m SAS module | FASA Centaur-Transstage

Entered Kerbin's atmosphere at almost 5 km/s to simulate a return from another planet. PeA was set really low to ensure I didn't skip out on an escape trajectory.

16m shield peaked at 2575*C, 23m shield reached 950. Began to tumble beyond the torque wheels' ability to compensate at 20km altitude, and the G-load promptly exceeded 50G's. Craft broke up at 2700m/s.

Overall, the system is a success. I'm almost ready to release these, still need to check the BIG shield.

EDIT: The 45m shield is too large, even in its folded state, for me to safely launch. I will have to assume it will perform as required.

I'll post the new .cfgs here in a few minutes.

Great job!!! Sweet thats awesome man , I will have to give it a try also when you finish them :cool: Yea the big shield i launch up on its own then i have to dock with it on my Main ship. Keeps me from over heating when getting close to then sun!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

What kind of license does this mod have? I would like to adopt it and integrate/combine with ksp interstellar extended. I only need the help more are modlers/texturers and a lot of detailed icarus science knowhow

Edited by FreeThinker

What kind of licese does this mod have? I would like to adopt it and integrate/combine with ksp interstellar extended. I only need the help more are modlers/texturers and a lot of detailed icarus science knowhow

When I downloaded the "all parts" package there was a text file that read...

Created by A. Steel

KSP Forum Name: Bluegobln

KSP Manufacturer: Goblin Enterprises

Credit one of the above when modifying or redistributing, no monetization allowed, but otherwise do whatever you like with it.

Golden Shield texture by Tommygun

Probably the closest to a licence as you are gonna get.

• 5 months later...

Last time I checked, it still worked

As atmospheric heat shields, they are kind of pointless, they act as space brakes which make you flip in no time. .. They only makes sense as a sunscreen for near star operations, as a tickle shield for slower than light interplanetary ships or use them as giant fordable radiators or black body thermal receivers .

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.