KerbalBase - A website for your ships!

• I have made a website, where everyone who wants can come and share your awesome creations without any effort. Just register and submit!
  • If you put this website on your Youtube videos, then your name and channel will be placed in the Supporter page!
  • It features a very simple design, which looks modern, but functional at the same time!
  • It doesn't use any CMS, which means that whatever you suggest, could be possibly implemented!
  • Many things are coming like mod lists, comments and ratings!

308TS.jpg

308WS.jpg

If you are concerned that your password or any other personal details may be stolen, then PM me and i will send you the code I use to encrypt your personal details!

Edited by Vilsol

If you are concerned that your password or any other personal details may be stolen, then PM me and i will send you the code I use to encrypt your personal details!

Not trying to troll... but wouldn't sending us the code you use to encrypt personal details thereby negate your security?

Not trying to troll... but wouldn't sending us the code you use to encrypt personal details thereby negate your security?

It depends on what kind of security he uses. If its some kind of RSA-encryption then he most likely is using an open key which anyone can use. You can only encrypt with that key but not decrypt.

Good look'n site.

First thing I've got to say is that the thing WE ALL need to keep in mind here about the site Vilsol has provided us, and has spent his time writing by hand, or by modifying a template, is that this is just for exchanging our ships in a game. Not your bank account, nor any other seriously personal information. If you want to join, but you're not comfortable using your real email address, then DON'T provide your real email address. (Tiz why I have 5 of 'em). DON'T use a password that you use elsewhere either. Beyond that, someone "h4x0r1ng ur shyps" shouldn't really be that critical or that detrimental to your survival. ;)

However, I have a couple of suggestions for you Vilsol. I know this is a brand new site, so I'd like to point out some rough edges I see.

I wouldn't recommend having the user right-click and save. That is extra steps for lazy users who can't be bothered to read, look at web sites for just pretty pictures, and on a personal note, I'm easily annoyed with the type of coding on sites that make the me work for what I want. Instead, I'd suggest looking up methods to force the file to download. You obviously have the craft file sitting either in a file or a database, but, you can get your code to send the craft file as something that is downloadable. Instead of linking directly to the file, have your HREF point to a server script (PHP I'm assuming) that'll identify the file or record based on the URL, and have actual code spit the raw data to the client as a downloadable file. I can't remember the exact code (Its at work and its been a about a year since I had to do something like that) but its adding two headers to the HTTP response that tells the client that what the server is providing is supposed to be a download. You CAN force an HTML file to be downloaded by changing headers in the response. The two headers is to indicate to the web client the type of file to be sent, as well as what the file name should be.

Next, if you're going to be looking for users to enter a password, and you're looking for wide spread use, you'd better look into getting SSL and appropriate certs going at least for form submissions. Depending on the kind of access you have (I use 000webhost.com as well) you can get a signed cert for free, but the user is still going to be given a warning about the self signed status. I know this because I have two sites that have self-signed certificates, but they're my sites on my local computers here in my basement that I access remotely, and I think I can trust me. So even though the cert is self-signed, SSL will work which encrypts the data between whatever computer I'm at, and the server. Having a self signed cert and having the browser throw a warning at a user is better than plain HTTP form requests, simply because of the way SSL works. But throwing that warning may throw a lot of users for a loop and just not bother going to your site again. Looking at the registration page HTML code, you're not referring to a secure page for your submit, so, anything sent is sent via clear text. The form request is a simple "post", and I don't see any client side scripting either in this script, or that references any other JS/VBScript that does any kind of encryption. Its been a while since I've logged into 000webhost.com and I never bothered to request a private cert. IIRC though, you can upgrade the account and get the cert, but I don't remember what kind of hoops you have to jump through or what the costs were.

So unfortunately, even though you can provide us with the code you use to protect the data on the servers, the data transferred from my client to your server apparently is not encrypted. What your server side code does with the form submission at that point doesn't matter because the information I've provided has already been passed over the net in clear text. Its great that the data may be encrypted in a database, but, for really private information, I'd rather not have the database encrypted, but the transmission of data over public lines BE encrypted.

I'm getting tired, so, going my Kerbals to bed under a Mainsail.

Code used to encrypt most SSL or secure data over the internet is open source. In that particular case, it doesn't mean you can decrypt stuff, unless you have the crypto keys to do so. Knowing how encryption algorithms work is different from actually being able to decrypt any random data. Knowing how the lock in your door works doesn't mean you can open the lock, unless you have the keys.

spaceport is for mods not ****ing craft files hrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Says who? :) There is clearly a craft file section

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/?s=%20&subcategories=crafts

And here N3X15's blog it is gone over http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/406-Kerbal-Spaceport-Changes

--

New Craft Category

We've had a problem with .craft files on Kerbal Spaceport, namely dozens of people uploading a craft and then spamming every tag possible, even if it didn't apply. This made it difficult for people applying legitimate tags to make their mod (or craft) known. The most glaring of these tags were the ones that assigned a part to a category. This resulted in what can only be described as "craft spam": Every category and tag on the site has a mess of crafts.

To combat this, we've added a new category just for crafts. New and edited craft files uploaded by themselves will be forced into this subcategory. We also ask that craft packs be moved to Crafts so the playing field is fair.

---

Well, Spaceport does have a craft section.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/?s=%20&subcategories=crafts

But to rephrase my question, what does your website bring that Spaceport doesn't? What are the improvements?

At present there doesn't seem to be very much on offer yet; it's still a bit rough around the edges and not at the point I would consider ready for public release. Why would any user want to order submissions by ID? Why not by newest->oldest, by rating and by name?

I see you have ratings planned, but it's not implemented yet, which is one of the pointers that the site isn't really ready for public use yet.

When I use a site like SpacePort, looking for ships or mods, I generally look at how the submission has been rated by others, as well as go through the comments to see some more specifics about what others think of it before I take the time to download and install it.

If the site uses no CMS concepts, how will it be able to manage all of the content that this site is ostensibly designed to accommodate without you having to manually administrate it? You're going to need a bit more than a fancy skin on a database application, or it's going to become an intolerable handful if it gets the user traffic that every webmaster hopes to see visit their own slot on the web.

Since the site is going to be dealing with text (.craft) files, why even worry about users and passwords? If you don't have a commenting system, what is there to protect against? If your filtering is configured appropriately, nobody will be able to upload anything other than a straight text file with a .craft extension. Couple that with a requirement for a screenshot to be submitted, and you'll pretty much lock out any automated spammers due to the niche requirements. Looking at it this way, you could open the site to anonymous submitters who might not want to be bothered with having to watch yet another account.

Just some thoughts. :)

Does it even matter whether you use Spaceport or KerbalBase? It's mostly the same thing, except KerbalBase seems to be for .craft files and Spaceport is for .craft files and mods and other mod-related stuff.

Does it even matter whether you use Spaceport or KerbalBase? It's mostly the same thing, except KerbalBase seems to be for .craft files and Spaceport is for .craft files and mods and other mod-related stuff.

Right, which would seem to make KerbalBase redundant, since SpacePort is already established and trusted. Because of this, KB would almost seem relegated to always being the also-ran unless there was another good reason for its existence. That's why -and especially in light of recent events- I suggested the possibility of working with the SpacePort admin(s) to make KB a hosting mirror of sorts.

That way the players still have the ability to at least find ships they're looking for, even if SpacePort is down. Again.

Right, which would seem to make KerbalBase redundant, since SpacePort is already established and trusted. Because of this, KB would almost seem relegated to always being the also-ran unless there was another good reason for its existence. That's why -and especially in light of recent events- I suggested the possibility of working with the SpacePort admin(s) to make KB a hosting mirror of sorts.

That way the players still have the ability to at least find ships they're looking for, even if SpacePort is down. Again.

If Spaceport is down, then they could just go to KerbalBase, even if it isn't a hosting mirror.

If Spaceport is down, then they could just go to KerbalBase, even if it isn't a hosting mirror.

Of course. But if that's the case, what's the reason to go there in the first place otherwise? Some third-party options for ships would be nice, but who will use it if the collection never really grows because people don't trust it or don't know about it? I mean shoot, I could set up a seriously modded Wordpress site in about 20 minutes to do the same thing, but my point is that it's a bit like setting up a burger stand outside a Burger King. Most won't give my stand a second glance because I'm not offering anything beneficial or better than the other guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for variety and anybody taking a stab at it. I'm just throwing out some thoughts out there in an effort to see this project find its feet, because as I said, we could use an alternative to SpacePort, but I'd also like to see something actually THERE beyond what is gathered by the occasional random visitor.

Looks good, will use this rather than spaceport or dropbox for crafts in the future. (I don't like spaceport being cluttered with crafts, even if they do their best to segregate them, so won't contribute to that problem.)

Right now there is not too big of a point going there, but I can promise there will be very big changes like:

Spoilers incoming:

• Comment System
  • FAQ
  • Wysiwyg Editors
  • BB Codes!
  • Supporter System
  • Ratings
  • Mod lists
  • And more!

New features everyone!

Added Comment system!

Added BBCodes

Added Wysiwyg

Many more things to come!

BBCode doesn't work in the scroll bar at the top. It still appears as the actual code.

9qqJN.jpg

And here.

wiKu6.jpg

Other than that, great website. Just made an account.

Edited by AustralianFries

BBCode doesn't work in the scroll bar at the top. It still appears as the actual code.

It is not supposed to work, but i will make a so called Description and Short description

Neat website! I've uploaded a couple of designs! :)

I seem to have an issue when trying to give the image designation, it constantly says that I have the 'wrong image link'. Also, it seems that the site inserts a \ before any quotation marks or apostrophes, is there a fix for this?

Edited by CalculusWarrior