DamonJay's Spaceplane Extravaganza

Damonjay

Ok ok in my infinite boredom i have decided to upload my spaceplanes onto this forum.

but to waste even more time im going to present them in profile form

First up

The Infamous C-119 Flying BoxCar - Cargo Class

This aircraft was Originally Inspired by Carol Rawley and his Flight of The Phoenix post found here

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=3047.0

The C-119 has Proven to be highly Reliable seeing as it was only built for Aesthetic Purposes.

It Has the Cruising Speed of 90m/s and a top speed of 160m/s at 100m above sea level and Can carry an extra 4 tonnes easily

The C-119 can easily fly to the island of kersica and back

Currently With release 0.11.1 The C-119 and C-119A experience infinite glide when above 9000m and cruising at 120 m/s

There is also a fuel glitch which is experienced throughout the whole Boxcar range

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3939;image

there are currently three different variants of the C-119 Flying Boxcar.

These are

AC-119 - which is an experimental Version with an improvised Missile. The Range and speed of the aircraft have been decreased drastically by this addition.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3941;image

BC-119 - A Bomber Variant which has proven Successful. The AirCraft Carries 6 Mk-83 Explosive devices. Downloaded from this Forum Page http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=204.0

So far they have only had minimal affect on the Aircrafts Performance.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3943;image

C-119A- this is an improved version of the C-119 and should not be Mistaken for the AC-119. Improvements made is the presence Of an RCS system and a forward mounted Parachute which makes landing easier. Aircraft performance is the Same as the Original Aircraft.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3937;image

Project Thunderbird

Suborbital high speed spaceplanes

Here there are only Two aircraft worth Mentioning

Thunderbird VI- Easily Glides Below 50 m/s. Cruising Speed is around 100m/s Topspeed is 190m/s at 500 meters above sea level. - landing has proven an issue

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3947;image

Thunderbird VII- a very similar Version of the earlier model except with added features such as the RCS, Forward Tail Canards and two added Engines. due to the Placing of the Two Engines it has made Flying Difficult in the outer regions of the Atmosphere. Also two parachutes were added to support landing.

Landing is Possible

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3945;image

more info on the project is found here

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=3011.0

Next is The Fighter Class

F-35

This is the Smallest Jet And Has landing capabilities (im not sure if it can land tho). small simple and quick it can travel up to speeds of 230m/s under 400m above see level. gliding has proved a challenge and work needs to be done in this area.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3949;image

F-36

this is a larger Aircraft which has been upgraded with an ASAS and Vtol Capabilities.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3951;image

Next is the Galaxy Class.

Galaxy I

This is a Experimental High speed orbital Craft.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3911;image

next is the Carrier Class

GalaxyPro X

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3136.0;attach=3909;image

soon to come is the Seeker ,Valiance, and Striker

The Seeker

the seeker X1

• 3 weeks later...

Sure. you only need C7

with exception to the BC-119

The Thunderbird links are on the Thunderbird forum page

and there is no real point uploading the fighter class. that takes 5 minutes to do and really doesnt require any imagination

The Boxcar class has impressive gliding properties, I would recommend it for this challenge

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=2516.0;topicseen

Of course, it does take about 10 hours to complete...

I was thinking about attempting it but i have come to the conclusion that it would probably run out of fuel before half way. but i will give it a go. im currently using it for the 'operation stealthy Approach' Challenge.

Damonjay,

I love your flying boxcar! I have had no luck with any of my attempts at designing or piloting any kerbal aircraft. Any suggestions for a first time flyer.

No full flight manuals just the for dummies version.

Thanks,

RRs

Never stop building it just keeps getting better.

RRs,

Thank you for your Feed back :)

my best Advice for someone with little experience is when placing wings and such always keep in mind the CFG. and never be scared to experiment :)

well currently my build has been suspended Due to end of School exams :P but when i am done i shall resume

Edit:

The Boxcar class has impressive gliding properties, I would recommend it for this challenge

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=2516.0;topicseen

Of course, it does take about 10 hours to complete...

cannonball,

i just checked out how long the box car could fly with no fuel. i was up at 9166 going at 120m/s. i come back 1 hour later and its at 9145 going at 120m/s.

today i am going to attempt this challenge

edit: 8 hours ;)

The Original ThunderBird did not look like the SR-71 at all. I originally Posted and created the Thunderbird so that it would look like the Commercial Nuclear Supersonic Aircraft in the Very First Thunderbird Episode.

this is it

31.jpg

After the first flight it became apparent that it was not Aerodynamic AT ALL and the lift Produced was not able to Hold the aircraft up. so then Came Thunderbird II,III,IV,V and then VI. each different Version was addressing an issue presented by the Terrible Aircraft Design.

At the Beginning of the project i had no intention of it looking the the SR-71 and it only looks like it due to Convergent evolution :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.