Your Biggest Fail in KSP!

gmpd2000

Lots of fails here but my most recent one was during reentry to Kerbin.

I actually wanted to do an IVA but foolishly hit EVA.....

Jebs suit filled with a mystery goo which he got no science for......

It's interesting how quickly their temperature goes up when you do this.

Added a self destruct charge to my ship for emergencies (as I don't want to drop a multi ton rocket onto my VAB again)... then getting all the way to Duna and aerobraking into a perfect orbit without saving... AND THEN I SNEEZED AND SET OFF THE STAGE THAT DETONATED THE CHARGE.

I sat there and watched the fireworks followed by a blank stare... then said "Oh *BLEEEP*". Yup... I did that last night heh... and felt a right plonker for doing it.

So for my next build of my package I've added the charge on top of a radial decoupler and put the decoupler in the stage BEFORE the detonator. So now if I accidentally stage it just ejects the charge. An alternative way I just thought of is to put the charge on a 3 second delay and put the detonator and decoupler in the same stage... that way the charge is ejected and then it blows up away from the spacecraft so it doesn't become a flight hazard. It doesn't have to go far to be safe as shock waves don't propagate very well in vacuum.

Went all the way to Duna. Forgot parachutes for my descent module.

- - - Updated - - -

My biggest fail? Probably, building N1. In the end it was a success, but the amount of faiure before it agreed to fly was astonishing.

Isn't that so cool? I've got the N1 in my modded KSP. It looks so futuristic and elegant, yet... even without engines problems and cracks in the shell, it's still a .... platform for going to the Moon.

The Soyuz is good though.

I gone through entire missions without realizing I had no parachute.

My biggest fail, though, is landing on Minmus through THREE TRIES (Forgot parachutes, crash into surface, success, respectively) to get it right. The amount of rage that went into those missions is way tooooo much.

After assembling a space station consisting of 6 separate module launches (Habitation and science, Drill rig, main body, 2 propulsion and refuellers and a refuel rover) I took it all the way to Ike. Got it all orbited, separated and landed. Then I came across this problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxLrqExybk

I didn't take into account the suspension of the landing legs being weighed down a couple of inches.

Apparently, and don't quote me here but you actually need more than a mk16 parachute to land a small probe on Duna.

"Hmm, the chutes deployed but i'm still going a fair-OHSHI-" *BOOM*

And then there's the orbital rendezvous i set going yesterday, got within 1k and boosted towards my station.... with a mainsail...by hitting Z...

So most of the station is now separately orbiting Kerbin ;.;

Oh and I can't build planes to save my life, they crash, they explode, they flip and they generally go out in flames. dunno why, just can't get the lift or stability.

• 1 month later...
My biggest fail is my continuing, never succeeding attempts at building a SSTO that can lift 100 tons to orbit by using a big two-segment fairing as the cargo bay.
The cargo bay thing works sufficiently. However I either have not enough fuel or not enough thrust or some other element that's missing. In general it's not that easy to get 350 tons into the sky :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.