Caterpillar I: mobile base rover + launch vehicle[0.23] (Mechjeb 2 version included)

This design was inspired by Parkaboys Baxton Mk.I rover ---> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/30998-The-Baxter-MkI-A-new-rover-concept

Today I want to prensent you my first Ksp 0.23 compatible mobile mun base

The rover/base comes including a launch vehicle with large docking port (to add a spacetug and bring it anywhere you want)

The launch vehicle can reach the mun on its own (extreme tight fuel budget ,it is recommended to use a second ship to dock with the Rover/Dropship and bring it to the mun)

stats:

crew capacity: 13 (including driver)

mass when deployed: 16.04t

max safe speed on flat terrain: 20m/s (12m/s in "bumpy" terrain)

max safe speed for sharp turns: 2m/s (5m/s in "precision mode")

key bindings:

1 - deploys solar panels and communication antenna (only use after you safely landed and detached)

2 - deploys landing gear of the dropship

3 - retracts forward gear of dropship so it falls over and the rover can be detached

Video:

Pictures (pictures were taken in KSP 0.2):

base in "parking mode":

UBc98mc.jpg

rover/base after dropoff:

Xo3fHVx.jpg

powered descent (rover with dropship)

wc6EUbx.jpg

Download:

http://www./?cwrwz4wao3ckvd3

Edited by Alpha372

i thought of an idea when i saw your last pic. maybe it is possible to dock the rover back and go back that way....

The first lander design was just to prove the cocept and to test if it is possible to land this thi

ng in one piece (as the center of mass of the rover is not equal to the “middle“ of the vehicle.)

I will improve the lander during the next week.

I am pretty new to this game and have had a few attempts landing this thing on the moon but so far none have been too successful. I think I must be being too inefficient with the fuel.

I am using the stock version though and I think the staging is incorrect (a few tanks are being decoupled with fuel still in them - easily fixed by swapping two of the stages around though).

Can't wait to get this thing on the moon.

I am pretty new to this game and have had a few attempts landing this thing on the moon but so far none have been too successful. I think I must be being too inefficient with the fuel.

I am using the stock version though and I think the staging is incorrect (a few tanks are being decoupled with fuel still in them - easily fixed by swapping two of the stages around though).

Can't wait to get this thing on the moon.

The fuel budget is extremely tight! that's why it has a large docking port on top ......you can just dock another spacecraft ontop and drag it into munar orbit

OR: just add small fueltanks to the outer stacks

The launchvehicle is far from perfect! It will be revised during the week. i put it together in 10mins just to see if i can actually land this rover on the mun in one piece ;)

I like this ship, the staging was a little off, but that is an easy fix. Well Done

yeah the staging issues were reported earlier already ...I will fix the launcher anyways during the week so I did not bother to reupload it now

This little rover has been a blast to play with. I am very new to the game so before I downloaded this I had only done a few tutorials and some mun/minimus trips for fun. Since I got this I have had loads to do and learnt alot in the process.

I couldn't get this lander to the mun for the life of me (the fuel budget was too tight for someone as new as me I think) so I ended up putting it in orbit around the mun and sending up a refueling ship to dock with it. I had a bit of a hard time building a decent refueling ship but I finally got a big clumsy thing up there to dock with it. I realized once I had docked that I was going to have to deorbit the refueling ship - so I had to EVA all the kerbals into the moon rover.

I landed the moon rover fine but wanted to bring the kerbals back so I sent up a rescue mission - which landed about 30K away from the rover. I am currently driving the rover over to the rescue ship as I don't have enough fuel for my lander to take off and re-land any closer (I'm actually slightly worried about whether I have enough to get back to Kerbin as is).

The drive so far has been very smooth although I must say it looks alot easier using mechjeb!

Anyway thanks again for the rover.

The first lander design was just to prove the cocept and to test if it is possible to land this thing in one piece (as the center of mass of the rover is not equal to the “middle“ of the vehicle.)

I will improve the lander during the next week.

I've used a radial attachment point and a clampotron docking port on my Mun Mammoth so a crane could set it down on its wheels, like so:

S3FciMA.png

If you know the CoM of your rover, it's easy enough to get a radial attachment point centered over it. It won't significantly affect its balance during vertical launch and transit.

I've used a radial attachment point and a clampotron docking port on my Mun Mammoth so a crane could set it down on its wheels, like so:

S3FciMA.png

If you know the CoM of your rover, it's easy enough to get a radial attachment point centered over it. It won't significantly affect its balance during vertical launch and transit.

Yeah I know , I just wanted to try something else this time ;)

This little rover has been a blast to play with. I am very new to the game so before I downloaded this I had only done a few tutorials and some mun/minimus trips for fun. Since I got this I have had loads to do and learnt alot in the process.

I couldn't get this lander to the mun for the life of me (the fuel budget was too tight for someone as new as me I think) so I ended up putting it in orbit around the mun and sending up a refueling ship to dock with it. I had a bit of a hard time building a decent refueling ship but I finally got a big clumsy thing up there to dock with it. I realized once I had docked that I was going to have to deorbit the refueling ship - so I had to EVA all the kerbals into the moon rover.

I landed the moon rover fine but wanted to bring the kerbals back so I sent up a rescue mission - which landed about 30K away from the rover. I am currently driving the rover over to the rescue ship as I don't have enough fuel for my lander to take off and re-land any closer (I'm actually slightly worried about whether I have enough to get back to Kerbin as is).

The drive so far has been very smooth although I must say it looks alot easier using mechjeb!

Anyway thanks again for the rover.

Awesome story!

I'm glad you like it. Regarding fuel budget: that's why I put a dockingport on the "dropship" ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.