[0.20] Modular Fuel System 1.3/realistic fuels, reconfigurable fuel tanks and engines

ialdabaoth

Is there any way to set it up so that the gases don't have to be cryogenic? I want to play with ISP and thrust but not decay of fuel over time.

Yes, just edit your RealFuels/RealTankTypes.cfg and take out all the loss_rate lines - or better yet, make your own CFG with the following lines:

@TANK_DEFINITION[Default]:Final
{
@TANK[LiquidH2]
{
@loss_rate = 0
}
@TANK[LiquidOxygen]
{
@loss_rate = 0
}
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Fuselage]:Final
{
@TANK[LiquidH2]
{
@loss_rate = 0
}
@TANK[LiquidOxygen]
{
@loss_rate = 0
}
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Structural]:Final
{
@TANK[LiquidH2]
{
@loss_rate = 0
}
@TANK[LiquidOxygen]
{
@loss_rate = 0
}
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Cryogenic]:Final
{
@TANK[LiquidH2]
{
@loss_rate = 0
}
@TANK[LiquidOxygen]
{
@loss_rate = 0
}
}

Edited by ialdabaoth

I believe I have installed this mod correctly, however I cannot see any changes to the GUI, or errors in the log. If it makes a difference, I am using 0.20.2, and I have B9 Aerospace (R3), KW Rocketry, some NovaPunch parts, KSPX, Procedural Wings, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Crew Manifest, Kethane, MechJeb 2, Kerbal Attachment System, Ferram Aerospace Research and Kerbal Engineer installed.

This mod would be ideal for an STS-style shuttle I'm making. Right now, the external tank is too heavy to launch. This would probably not be a problem if it contained H2/O2.

Edit:

Also realised I have Subassembly loader installed as well.

Edited by ZRM

I believe I have installed this mod correctly, however I cannot see any changes to the GUI, or errors in the log. If it makes a difference, I am using 0.20.2, and I have B9 Aerospace (R3), KW Rocketry, some NovaPunch parts, KSPX, Procedural Wings, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Crew Manifest, Kethane, MechJeb 2, Kerbal Attachment System, Ferram Aerospace Research and Kerbal Engineer installed.

This mod would be ideal for an STS-style shuttle I'm making. Right now, the external tank is too heavy to launch. This would probably not be a problem if it contained H2/O2.

same problem here and im pretty much using the same mods. when i click fuel tanks/engines (even stock ones) in action group mode, nothing happens.

same problem here and im pretty much using the same mods. when i click fuel tanks/engines (even stock ones) in action group mode, nothing happens.

I've found that using B9 conflict with this mod. It worked well, then I added B9 and the gui disapeared too. Removing B9 fixed it. So we'll just have to wait for B9 compatibility.

I did something similar to this in the past, but I found it made the game much too easy. I could get hefty satellites into orbit with tiny single stage sounding rockets for instance. That said, I always welcome more realism. Kerbin is just too damn small to pose much of a challenge.

I've found that using B9 conflict with this mod. It worked well, then I added B9 and the gui disapeared too. Removing B9 fixed it. So we'll just have to wait for B9 compatibility.

That's strange, because I cannot find where this mod refers to anything related to B9 in its config files. If I can find the references and remove them, maybe we can get it to work in the mean time.

The problem is the ExsurgentEngineering.dll that comes with B9. Only the SABRE engines depend on that, so you can remove Exsurgent and use all of B9 except the SABRE.

B9 fuel tanks will also need .cfg overrides to accept modular fuels.

The problem is the ExsurgentEngineering.dll that comes with B9. Only the SABRE engines depend on that, so you can remove Exsurgent and use all of B9 except the SABRE.

Thanks. Do you know or have an idea about what the conflict is with ExsurgentEngineering.dll?

I did something similar to this in the past, but I found it made the game much too easy. I could get hefty satellites into orbit with tiny single stage sounding rockets for instance. That said, I always welcome more realism. Kerbin is just too damn small to pose much of a challenge.

Got to agree with you there. Perhaps an option in this mod to scale ISP by a constant factor based on the size of Kerbin compared to the Earth would be helpful? That way you get the special considerations and possibilities that realistic fuels give you, without the game-breaking fuel-efficiency. I really wish that the devs had set the entire Kerbol system to approximately Solar system scales (including sizes, masses, atmospheres and periods) to begin with. Hopefully planet modding will be included in a later update to rectify this. Though I have a feeling that the the reason all of the planets/moons are so small is so that the texture resolution for each planet does not have to be ridiculously large in order to be adequate at ground level.

The idea seems interesting and all, but just because the mod adds advanced features to the games, it doens't necessarily need to require advanced knowledge to install the thing.

I'm still trying to figure out how to structure the thing so I can load it using JS Generic Mod Enabler. And yes, I've read all the posts and instructions.

Would be too much asking for a properly folder structure that didn't had some things, specially the github stuff?

Unzip ModularFuelTanks.zip into {KSP}/GameData. You should have:

{KSP}/GameData/ModuleManager.dll

{KSP}/GameData/ModularFuelTanks/KSPX_ModularFuelTanks.cfg

{KSP}/GameData/ModularFuelTanks/KW_ModularFuelTanks.cfg

{KSP}/GameData/ModularFuelTanks/Squad_ModularFuelTanks.cfg

{KSP}/GameData/ModularFuelTanks/Plugins/ModularFuelTanks.dll

{KSP}/GameData/ModularFuelTanks/Resources/TankTypes.cfg

{KSP}/GameData/ModularFuelTanks/RealFuels.zip

Then, if you want to play with LOX and LH2 and all the goodies, unzip RealFuels.zip - otherwise leave it zipped to stick with LiquidFuel and Oxidizer.

Are these supposed to be the install instructions? I really want to try this out, but have no idea how to install the thing. Could somebody take some pictures, do a step by step, or make a video or something?

it doesnt work even with the exsurgent .dll removed. ive made sure to install it correctly

Are these supposed to be the install instructions? I really want to try this out, but have no idea how to install the thing. Could somebody take some pictures, do a step by step, or make a video or something?

That is step by step.

Beginning of steps:

Step 1: Unzip the file so that it looks like that.

End of steps.

All I know is that the B9 SABRE engines break ModuleManager.

If you remove the folders Engine_SABRE_M and Engine_SABRE_S from B9, this mod works again.

I will have a look at the MM source and see if I can find a fix, however I am new to C# coding and there is no sln file, so building a new DLL may be a problem for me.

it doesnt work even with the exsurgent .dll removed. ive made sure to install it correctly

It works for me. Which mods do you have installed that I don't?

For whoever's interested, here are configuration files for B9 without the Sabre engines:

This one goes into the Realfuels folder (if you use Realfuels):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3rszU0r8C50cU83Q3QtcEZkTEk/edit?usp=sharing

And this one in the ModularFuelTanks folder:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3rszU0r8C50cVplRmVJWkt1dE0/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for the cfg's. Let's me get started with some planes I was putting off. Thumbs up on making the SABRE use H2 exclusively in the realfuels version - makes me not feel conflicted about the unrealistic dV it could get in the default B9 configuration.

I'll politely pass on this mod till proper installation instructions and folder structure are provided.

I agree, though I'd like to know more about this mod since it seems pretty appealing.

I'm having some trouble with this mod--I set up an X200-32 tank to be empty but still have normal fuel capacity--i.e. 1440 fuel, 1760 oxidizer. However, when I set the amount to 0/1440, it removed the tank. I then tried it starting with 1 unit of fuel, and it set both the initial AND maximum fuel amount to be 1. That is, it's ignoring my settings for fuel *capacity* and setting the capacity equal to whatever I set the beginning value to. Is this a bug or do I have something misconfigured?

there's something wrong with the KW real fuels config, the Maverick V says "liquid-fuel deprived" no matter what kind of fuel you put in the tank.