Mun Candidates.

derhp

The Delta II

This rocket is more then capable of landing on the moon. Plenty of fuel remaining for lunar injection and low altitude retro burn saving on lander fuel.

2 Stage Lander (Decent & Ascent)

Still working on the return trip still need some practice pics soon.

TjBS0.jpg

CZREH.jpg

My upgraded stock Munar lander. I still haven\'t been able to aim well enough to make it back though.

MXsZ5.png

If you point about 5-15 degrees left of the Mun an orbit around Kerbin before your TMI, it gets your rocket pretty close to where you need to be pointed for your burn.

EhaUO.png

Attempting to make it back, I ended up getting slingshotted around the sun just after I finally got my periapsis in the atmosphere.

UiKma.png

Wobbles like mad on the ascent, ASAS keeps it mostly on course though. If it wobbles too far, the 9 gimbaled engines should allow you to bring it back on course fairly easily though.

Ladies and gentlemen, here I present to you the Shinkiro Mk 4 the rocket that landed on the Mun... Kerbal style. ;)

Some Screenshots of the flight :

Shinkiro Mark 4 on the Launchpad

bmFNu.jpg

Liftoff! It takes a lot of WSAD work in this stage...

CXvoz.jpg

Separation of SRBs

KacXN.jpg

Entering orbit

I5VYA.png

Separation of first engine section

X2udu.png

Orbit around Kerbin

OTq0U.png

ZwSZ1.png

Extending orbit to the Mun

S1sBV.png

And circulizing

Ra2vX.png

A quick look at Kerbin

VJKgv.png

Getting closer...

LMghv.png

Gotcha!

KV4Bc.png

Entering orbit around the Mun

SVpCb.png

Mighty piece of rock...?

NbnWA.png

Descending a bit

GfYcO.png

beyPW.png

And stabilizing...

TlEat.png

Zezpi.png

Getting ready...

MiQKa.png

3MjE8.png

Jettisionning the cover

MaVN8.png

And separating empty fuel tank

Ns86h.png

Descending...

XMhPP.png

Jebediah : So guys, where\'s the brake?

Bob & Bill : *pokerface*

Jebediah : Kouston, we have a problem...

RF6nf.png

So close...

QZxGM.jpg

...and yet so far.

OeVEP.png

That lander still need more power... I hope that I`ll be able to land safe before Mk 10...

Mods used : A lot of them.

Yay! Mark 5\'s Command Pod survived landing but the rest of lander didnt...

0sazI.png

Mark 6 reached Mun but it was moving too fast (horizontal), fell on it side and exploded :(

3Xh5T.png

CCJz9.png

SuhvF.png

MUAii.png

M5Rm4.png

YES! Mark 7 reached Mun, landed, and returned home in one piece!

Incomming!

UzSPa.png

4nZSE.png

Hevz8.png

Jettision of the cover

4hv8s.png

Descending...

Y4pLW.png

TQ5xe.jpg

TOUCHDOWN! 8)

5LnbR.jpg

And now, returning home!

M2jC1.png

Uh, wrong way...

Fwicx.png

Fixed!

ZjmJY.png

Home!

Hxrn9.png

C3GZ7.png

1Sckl.png

VfXPq.jpg

CplL5.jpg

Home sweet salt home :)

VcTYA.png

1eH47.png

After millions of tries, i realised that slingshooting 'Big Poppa' is only good for deep space expiditions. \'Cause it as agile as a brick, and packs huge power, i had to make more agile and less powerfull, more balanced rocket. So here it is, Project 'Tough Uncle':

1701395d1e5d.jpg

a17fcf91059a.jpg

3c3c46b3791c.jpg

7affd50aec0d.jpg

It took 48 days(i\'m pretty lame at mun catching) of orbiting around kerbin before i had enough luck, and on the day 49 i managed to touch the mun\'s gravitation, and return back to kerbin orbit. BUT! on day 50 i had even more luck, and got caught up into circular mun orbit pretty well. Oh, and the payload wasn\'t meant to land on the moon, it was just designed for orbiting. I\'ll make landing version of a payload when i\'ll figure out how to get to the moon with less fuel consumption.

After millions of tries, i realised that slingshooting 'Big Poppa' is only good for deep space expiditions. \'Cause it as agile as a brick, and packs huge power, i had to make more agile and less powerfull, more balanced rocket. So here it is, Project 'Tough Uncle':

-snip-

It took 48 days(i\'m pretty lame at mun catching) of orbiting around kerbin before i had enough luck, and on the day 49 i managed to touch the mun\'s gravitation, and return back to kerbin orbit. BUT! on day 50 i had even more luck, and got caught up into circular mun orbit pretty well. Oh, and the payload wasn\'t meant to land on the moon, it was just designed for orbiting. I\'ll make landing version of a payload when i\'ll figure out how to get to the moon with less fuel consumption.

That\'s a nice satellite you got there. Nova\'s pack I believe?

More pics, and ship file.

The experiment package has legs which let me deploy it off the top of my lander.

Oh and I am cheating by using solar collectors to recharge my tanks and the Shotball LRB I have been debating whether or not to show this off cause of all the negative response i am fearing receiving.

RRs

May I present, the Mun Shot. It\'s a rocket made mostly of stock part with a few nonstandard bits to make the whole deal possible.

Nonstandard parts used (if not noted else, it\'s from NovaSilisko\'s pack). While the list looks long, most of them are used once.

Nano SAS Mk1

TD-M3 Mechanical Decoupler

Mk3 Parachute

TD-M9 Mechanical Decoupler

Mk. 3030302 Hollow Stage Decoupler

LM-00 Support Structure

LM-00 Descent Engine

AA-BB Linear Decoupling Strut

KW-LFC 1x2 Meter (Kyle & Winston)

KW Series Globe V-L Solid Fuel Motor (Kyle & Winston)

I did about 30 screenshots, attached you find the ones that actually don\'t suck. I\'m not really a photographer.

Guest Flixxbeatz

And here we are. The mighty 'Gilgamesh' Mk2

HciSV.png

delivered 'Argo-II' spacecraft

7uXBG.jpg

right to Mun.

The flight capture is below (24 images):

IOXvo.png

UXKFV.jpg

bYidh.jpg

C6H1K.png

RhkWh.png

TrBp9.png

X3OJf.png

4CuLi.png

ZJbSv.png

OR1I3.png

3u7aN.png

Nf69m.png

QfE2H.png

77NB6.png

TihHW.png

5zjzh.png

BPfJF.png

0PYbN.png

7sifP.png

5kipq.png

NoIL1.png

LeuQ3.png

59dy6.jpg

7sxSm.png

The craft: http://content.wuala.com/contents/greencross.am/KSP/Gilgamesh-Argo-II.craft?dl=1

How come it didn\'t wobbled like a madman :o

anyways, congratulations. got my test shots on Mun, but still ending up crashing. My most recent (and nearest) attempt got me almost on the surface, my lander hovered dangerously fast (12 m/s) and I wasn\'t able to bleed off the excess speed.

How come it didn\'t wobbled like a madman :o

anyways, congratulations. got my test shots on Mun, but still ending up crashing. My most recent (and nearest) attempt got me almost on the surface, my lander hovered dangerously fast (12 m/s) and I wasn\'t able to bleed off the excess speed.

Thanks, this was my second voyage. First was on Gilgamesh-Argo I and ended up as a one way trip with a crash.

P.S. Actually it wobbles after SRB separation, but only a little due to extensive use of struts )))

Here\'s my Mun-rocket. Only uses Silisko\'s parts. To make it more maneuverable but without inducing wobbling I used a non-steerable main engine, with little steerable boosters, which empty about at the same time (a couple of seconds later, actually).

Fly the first stage to depletion, but keep the boosters attached and firing until they deplete as well. I tried to reduce the number and type of fuel tanks, but after they deplete, this behemoth becomes unresponsive, to say the least.

I swear, I tried making the thing as compact and efficient as possible. :(

That\'s what i mean...no matter how compact you try to make a Mun rocket they are just huge by definition...as more planets are added they are going to get super massive, to big even for the VAB or the launch platform...that is unless docking and saving the game progress is initiated so you can launch multiple components or even refueling stations out in orbits to seed the tools of exploration around the Kerbal system.

That\'s what i mean...no matter how compact you try to make a Mun rocket they are just huge by definition...as more planets are added they are going to get super massive, to big even for the VAB or the launch platform...that is unless docking and saving the game progress is initiated so you can launch multiple components or even refueling stations out in orbits to seed the tools of exploration around the Kerbal system.

I think it\'d be great if there was a 'construction module' for stations, that act as a 'wet-dock' style VAB, but you have to ship materials up in order to use them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.