Warthunder - WWII Vehicular Combat Sim

chobit-389

Holy bleep, those graphics are good...

I like planes and I like battle, so I might consider. Is it free?

yes, you do have the option to buy in-game currency,

you can then use that on premium planes, a premium account, and other miscellaneous stuff.

Just like the other MMO's

Edited by Manifest

Achtung: Odin is in the air. He51C, fully loaded.

Uh, make sure you check your six. Once I get the hang of flying this thing, I will sneak up on you with it.

IGN is OdinYggd.

Shame I have to unlock the Zero though. But to me the mouse guidance is backwards, I'm used to mouse down for nose up. That and I have a strong urge to remap the controls to match those of KSP, throttle on WS is confusing when I am used to it being Shift-Ctrl

Edited by OdinYggd

Do you have any problems with wobble on your planes? When I try to shoot the plane slides back and forth meaning barely any shoots hit. That and my planes seem to have a love of the ocean during a carrier take off despite what the elevators say.

Not really. What plane are you having problems with?

So far mine handles about like I expected, other than the elevator control being inverted and the throttle keys not being what I am used to.

Just won my first mission. Took out an AA gun on the first try, although I did get shot down shortly after- had a guy pelting me from behind, and I was at too low an altitude to shake him.

You know you're in a bind when you can see your wing melting from the hail of bullets coming at you.

Edited by OdinYggd

Not really. What plane are you having problems with?

So far mine handles about like I expected, other than the elevator control being inverted and the throttle keys not being what I am used to.

Just won my first mission. Took out an AA gun on the first try, although I did get shot down shortly after- had a guy pelting me from behind, and I was at too low an altitude to shake him.

More or less all of them. The rudder keeps going back and forth as well as the elevators- reminds me of the auto correction of ASAS when its using RCS. I'm not used to flying planes again, I haven't played a simulator in over a year. I've done a few missions-destroyed some ground vehicles, sometimes through crashing :D. And a plane shot down but it really crashed when it was being shot at.

I haven't been shot down so much as crashing while flying low and at low engine power to give me a longer strafing run. I love the way damage happens in the game and the way you can crash land.

Edited by LeonG17

Are you playing on arcade or historical? On Arcade there shouldn't be any wobble at all. Historical will need quite a bit of time to get good at.

Also check your FPS, I find it extremely difficult to hit anything with low FPS. The Ping itself is spikey enough.

And check out some of the tactics of wwII aces, some of them work ingame. But with some planes you are screwed either way once you got someone on your back.

As noob russian planes are very good (Overpowered flying tanks with great firepower). Germans ... perform as usual for a game made by a russian company. If you choose them make sure you have an altitude / speed advantage before you engage - most of them turn like a lorry filled with bricks.

I tend to have the most fun with the Brits though. Hurricane I and II are lots of fun early on.

Edited by jfx

Oops. I just kamikazee'd a surface artillery. Came in a little lower than I wanted to and clipped a wing on it.

I get about 25 FPS with a ping of 70ms. My laptop seems to be on the edge with this.

Also if I alt-tab off of it while waiting in the battle queue, the game crashes when the battle starts.

Seems it won't take me long to unlock the good stuff though.

Edited by OdinYggd

So I finally caved and signed up for the game.

...Now how do I configure the launcher to only download files when I want it to? As soon as I finished installing, it started d/ling this 5 GB update, and I don't think I even have 5 Gigs left on my monthly allowance :( I'd be fine if I could set it up to only download during my nightly unlimited access period...

So I finally caved and signed up for the game.

...Now how do I configure the launcher to only download files when I want it to? As soon as I finished installing, it started d/ling this 5 GB update, and I don't think I even have 5 Gigs left on my monthly allowance :( I'd be fine if I could set it up to only download during my nightly unlimited access period...

The thing is it's an constant online game, meaning you have to connect to the actual server to even play single missions by yourself, so there isn't really an option to not download the latest patch.

Annoying, but that's how the game function, with it being an MMO and all.

Are you playing on arcade or historical? On Arcade there shouldn't be any wobble at all. Historical will need quite a bit of time to get good at.

Also check your FPS, I find it extremely difficult to hit anything with low FPS. The Ping itself is spikey enough.

And check out some of the tactics of wwII aces, some of them work ingame. But with some planes you are screwed either way once you got someone on your back.

As noob russian planes are very good (Overpowered flying tanks with great firepower). Germans ... perform as usual for a game made by a russian company. If you choose them make sure you have an altitude / speed advantage before you engage - most of them turn like a lorry filled with bricks.

I tend to have the most fun with the Brits though. Hurricane I and II are lots of fun early on.

Ok, I'll try and increase the FPS.

How long would it take to get used to Historical?

I know abut about tactics, I've got a book called Air Combat manoeuvres which I've read cover to cover many time.

Also, is it me or are the machine guns a bit overpowered? Especially when it comes to ground targets. A armoured car is destroyed after a few bursts from my planes 2 machine guns? I though the purpose of armoured it to prevent that?

Ok, I'll try and increase the FPS.

How long would it take to get used to Historical?

I know abut about tactics, I've got a book called Air Combat manoeuvres which I've read cover to cover many time.

Also, is it me or are the machine guns a bit overpowered? Especially when it comes to ground targets. A armoured car is destroyed after a few bursts from my planes 2 machine guns? I though the purpose of armoured it to prevent that?

Nope. The armor is to protect it from other ground forces.

Most vehicle armor is incapable of stopping 50cal bullets, and a lot of aircraft are using guns far larger than that.

Also I got a few flights in, but now my whole system hangs when I try to enter the flight field. I have a few ideas for what happened, but this might take a few tries to sort out.

The thing is it's an constant online game, meaning you have to connect to the actual server to even play single missions by yourself, so there isn't really an option to not download the latest patch.

Annoying, but that's how the game function, with it being an MMO and all.

Yeah, I figured that. If I had some control over the process, though, such as telling it only to download during certain hours...

Fortunately, it looks like the download stops whenever I close the client, so I can control it that way. It's going to be annoying, staying up until 2 AM at night whenever a new patch comes out, but if that's what it takes...

Nope. The armor is to protect it from other ground forces.

Most vehicle armor is incapable of stopping 50cal bullets, and a lot of aircraft are using guns far larger than that.

Also I got a few flights in, but now my whole system hangs when I try to enter the flight field. I have a few ideas for what happened, but this might take a few tries to sort out.

Its not .50 cal, its the .303 cal.

Also, is it wrong to love the damage system on the aircrafts so much you just keep crashing into things in the test flight?

hey if anyone ever says fly low when bombing to avoid anti-aircraft fire then remember to fly a bit higher when releasing your bombs i just blew my own tail fins off by accident by dropping bombs for about a height of 3m and especially with 500lb bombs just blew of my wings no im not repeating myself i just did it twice in a row lol

Edited by redwolfy

hey if anyone ever says fly low when bombing to avoid anti-aircraft fire then remember to fly a bit higher when releasing your bombs i just blew my own tail fins off by accident by dropping bombs for about a height of 3m and especially with 500lb bombs just blew of my wings no im not repeating myself i just did it twice in a row lol

Whenever I fly bombers I usually hang out at around 4,000m. AAA isn't much of an issue up there and fighters are usually too distracted dogfighting near ground level to climb that high and follow you.

It is tempting to go for a big bomber with loads of turrets, but you have to consider that your gunners are terribad without training. And training for additional gunners is very expensive XP wise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.