Warthunder - WWII Vehicular Combat Sim

chobit-389

Just played around with my Chaika again, and this little biplane actually gives me more kills than my Sturmovik. A biplane taking down one Yak-1 is impressive enough, but I was able to get seven planes of roughly tier 5 before my little biplane was rammed down by a teammate.

Biplanes are extremely agile, with the Chaika being one of the most agile. It was used to good effect in the Spanish civil war and for the Chinese against the Japanese.

But how did you keep up with the fighters, they would of been able to outrun you.

You'd think so, but the Chaika can reliably keep around 500km/h, it just needs a dive to get started. I was able to chase down two of the fighters and down them, one of them a Hayabusa, which logically should have nailed me easily. The other two fighters I was more or less stationary while fighting: they just turned around me a lot trying to get me in their sights, and I could shoot at their pilots more or less all the time. I was able to chase down a H6K bomber even after a steep climb, and took out his pilot when he turned to shake me off. The other two were twin-engine divebombers, and I could keep up with the first one rather easily, dodge the fire from their rear gunners, and then shoot out the pilot while he was turning. The other divebomber I took down by simply diving from straight above and shooting out his pilot directly. Poor sod probably didn't even know I was there.

I would of thought it would be slow as the extra drag from the bi-wings would of increased drag.

I was once 1-shot killed by a AA gun. In one of my first games in a fury biplane, a AA gun must of fired a single shot at me but I didn't notice as the next thing the aircraft panned out to show that your dead then it focused on the AA gun. There was no visible damage to the plane. It must of hit me in the cockpit with a single shot.

It's a bit irritating how pathetic the AA guns are, actually. A single one of those flak shells explodes near your plane, it's going to be shredded. Simple as that. As it is now, they barely cause an itch. But yeah, I've gotten pilotkilled by AA as well. :P

So, I was flying my new Bf109, that I finally managed to unlock. Getting chased by a Wildcat, decided, "I have to put this thing down somewhere". So, hoping he'd leave me alone, I put my plane down. No such luck. He comes around and strafes me, angled down and at a low altitude. Well, he gets me, but he must have overestimated his elevator authority.

He hits the ground, and, since I scored some hits on him, I score a kill. Yay.

But, my new favourite pastime is bomber intercepting. I like flying behind those Catalinas with my Bf110, just taking all their fire and murdering their wings with my cannons.

Just unlocked a Catalina and took it into a game. Absolutely a fighter magnent of the worst kind, and my crew gunners couldn't hit a barn if it jumped in front of them.

Dropped one bomb with it onto an AAA bunker, and instantly swarmed by fighters. Needless to say my brand new catalina was shot full of holes in seconds.

Current rank:

Level 6 overall

America 3, Germany 3, Russia 0, Britian 2, Japan 2

Just unlocked a Catalina and took it into a game. Absolutely a fighter magnent of the worst kind, and my crew gunners couldn't hit a barn if it jumped in front of them.

Dropped one bomb with it onto an AAA bunker, and instantly swarmed by fighters. Needless to say my brand new catalina was shot full of holes in seconds.

Current rank:

Level 6 overall

America 3, Germany 3, Russia 0, Britian 2, Japan 2

try controlling the gunners its alot easier the shoot i usually am swarmng in fighters about 6 most of the time the only time i am scared of them is if there is a beaufighter, i usually take out two fighters with my guns and the rest realise that im not worth it or i smash into the siide of the cliff as i forgot to steer LOL

ok so i have finnally got round to unlocking the catalina and it is great on land but every time it approches a destroyer it dies

the fist time i got one shot piloted the second my plane just broke into several pieces >:( (i still love it though)

Okay, is it just me or is investing in extra crew as early as possible a really good idea.

Buying additional crews gives you additional planes in arcade mode, increasing your chances of getting higher scores and earning back more silver per mission.

I've had four crews on most of my countries for a while now, and just put a 5th crew on Germany.

You'd think so, but the Chaika can reliably keep around 500km/h, it just needs a dive to get started. I was able to chase down two of the fighters and down them, one of them a Hayabusa, which logically should have nailed me easily. The other two fighters I was more or less stationary while fighting: they just turned around me a lot trying to get me in their sights, and I could shoot at their pilots more or less all the time. I was able to chase down a H6K bomber even after a steep climb, and took out his pilot when he turned to shake me off. The other two were twin-engine divebombers, and I could keep up with the first one rather easily, dodge the fire from their rear gunners, and then shoot out the pilot while he was turning. The other divebomber I took down by simply diving from straight above and shooting out his pilot directly. Poor sod probably didn't even know I was there.

Russian game devs? Use the russian stuff - Works every time, 60% of the time. Chaikas and Ishaks handle like go-karts and have ridiculous firepower against other low tier planes.

I would of thought it would be slow as the extra drag from the bi-wings would of increased drag.

I was once 1-shot killed by a AA gun. In one of my first games in a fury biplane, a AA gun must of fired a single shot at me but I didn't notice as the next thing the aircraft panned out to show that your dead then it focused on the AA gun. There was no visible damage to the plane. It must of hit me in the cockpit with a single shot.

Increasing the vitality stat improves your survival chances. I'm not sure by how much tough.

Beauforts have a ridiculously strong tail gunner for tier 3 (2x 12.7mm) If you want to invest some golden eagles into stats you can try the He-111 Tier 4 - lots of bombs and (weak) turrets. I don't own the A-20g but when i play against them I barely can ever catch up with them - and they have the same strong defensive weapons as the Beaufort (and some more). Americans are generally very strong against the wooden/weak low tier planes die to their .303 weapons.

The Catalina has awful gunner spots

A plane only a mother could love.

My only experience with go-carts was flipping over and scraping my arm against the ground with the remaining speed, so I'm not entirely sure a comparison with them is very favourable, but the high turn speed is common to all early fighters and biplanes, the only real advantage the Soviets have there is good guns. Their speed is almost entirely subpar when compared to the other planes. Not that that is really a disadvantage, with every plane being a turn fighter.

I just fought a Beaufort bomber with a Hurricane mk2. That Beaufort took 3/4 full clips of 12 .303 machine gun and yet it wasn't shot down till a short burst from another fighter took out the pilot in the cockpit. That Beaufort has a engine fire, 2 fuel leaks, damaged control surfaces and a unconscious rear gunner and yet could still fly and take out heavy tanks...

Level 6 overall.

America 3, Germany 3, Japan 2, Britian 2, Russia 0.

It's starting to get really grindy though at this level, and the novelty is fast giving way to the annoyance of the map glitch constantly crashing the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.