My failed attempt at a giant Moho lander

tstehler1

Just thought I would rant about my experience last night (around midnight, actually)

I realized that in all of my travels, even before my 0.19.1 reset, I have never been to Moho. So, I thought, let's go! How hard could it be?

Just for the heck of it, I built an enormous lander and spacecraft, as shown here:

eS2crhs.png

I have no clue why I built the landing module so big... I guess in my midnight sleepiness I thought it would be cool. Anyway, here is another image right at liftoff:

kyVm2Lj.png

After this, I got into orbit, boosted myself away with a Skipper engine, and started up my first stage of nuclear travel engines before I realized I hadn't taken a screen shot in quite a while. Here is the ship's first stage of nuclear engines:

2zUnaYG.png

That last one wasn't very high quality, sorry. Anyway, once those fuel tanks ran dry, I dropped that stage and ignited my final rocket, also nuclear. Here is the ship (at its solar periapsis) with only the final stage remaining.

egMi0A0.png

Soon, I was in Moho's proximity. I started my retrograde burn... and ran out of fuel halfway through it :(

to39iz2.png

So close... Anyway, just thought I'd have a little rant about my experiences last night. I'll spend some time today building something that makes a little more sense structure-wise (yes, I know that design was absurd).

Cheers!

Reminds me of my first Moho mission, however I Was only sending an mapping satellite and an probe rover.

Found that I would need more than 6000 m/s to get into orbit so I tried to land instead.

Lesson learned, dV requirements to get to Moho is far higher than other places, getting into orbit is just as hard, and you has to be very careful about getting the intercept at the closest point to sun to minimize the orbital injection speed.

Reminds me of my first Moho mission, however I Was only sending an mapping satellite and an probe rover.

Found that I would need more than 6000 m/s to get into orbit so I tried to land instead.

Lesson learned, dV requirements to get to Moho is far higher than other places, getting into orbit is just as hard, and you has to be very careful about getting the intercept at the closest point to sun to minimize the orbital injection speed.

Yeah, I realized the same thing. I think I'll leave Moho alone for a while... I haven't hit Eve or Duna since before my reset, so I'll probably go after them in an hour or so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.