I've landed on Mun, what now?

Joey

I've acommplished my goal of landing on the Mun successfully. I've put over 12 hours into this. I've been doing it for so long, I don't have any other goals. Any goals or things to do now that I'm on the Mun?

Plant a flag, send another ship with a rover, drive around and find the Apollo 11 landing site(actually called "Neil Armstrong Memorial"), then return to Kerbin in one piece:)

Edited by ForumHelper

But what can I do with a base like this? I understand this is sandbox, but what can I get done by connecting ships on Mun?

So you want every modules of your planned base to be connected to each other? Then you must put rover wheels every module, and a docking port with a set height.

So you want every modules of your planned base to be connected to each other? Then you must put rover wheels every module, and a docking port with a set height.

I understand, but what will I gain by putting **** on the Mun?

I think he is asking what use such a base would be.

Well depending on the modules you could use it to store rovers, refuel small spacecraft with landing capabilities, hold kerbals for future missions, mine kethane if you have the kethane mod, and have it there just for the bragging rights and novelty.

There really isn't much use for a surface base yet, but as soon as mining comes in the future a base would be excellent for mining operations.

I understand, but what will I gain by putting **** on the Mun?

The fact is that the gain is really personal satisfaction. I guess you COULD stick sciency stuff on the rovers.

I would recommend the Kethane mod if you want goals. It does mining and stuff.

I think he is asking what use such a base would be.

Well depending on the modules you could use it to store rovers, refuel small spacecraft with landing capabilities, hold kerbals for future missions, mine kethane if you have the kethane mod, and have it there just for the bragging rights and novelty.

There really isn't much use for a surface base yet, but as soon as mining comes in the future a base would be excellent for mining operations.

Thanks. Repped you

Satisfaction from doing it, it's not easy, and reaching the other planets is a challenge as well.

As is building a Space Station in orbit from separate parts, it won't really do much more than look nice, and you can ferry fresh Kerbals to it on occasion.

If you are looking for a purpose though I suggest you try the Kethane addon, it lets you search for and mine a resource of the same name that you can use as fuel.

RemoteTech can make your probes useful, and the MapSat lets you scan planets, again adding a purpose to going there beyond the sheer challenge :)

Edit:

Lol, ninja'd by The Jedi Master :D

"What now?"

There's no shortage of goals you could pick, really. You have a Kerbol Solar System Playset. Play. :) But if you are just temporarily short of ideas...

1. Get them safely back home. Often harder than it looks. For bonus points, try to land straight on the launchpad so they don't have to walk home too far.
  2. Find all the Mun easter eggs and plant a flag on each. There's quite a few, some you can easily see from space, others, not so easily.
  3. Find all the Kerbin easter eggs and do the same. Can be more challenging than the Mun because atmosphere.
  4. Land on Minmus and get back. That one is actually a bit easier than the Mun.
  5. Prepare to send a mission to Duna. That's a whole new level of complexity here. If you do need a strict goal... There's four of the most interesting easter eggs in the game around Duna, including a puzzle to reach the fourth. :)
  6. Send a few probes to Jool. In fact, send a probe to each moon of Jool. :) Take a notice of how long it takes to get to Jool, and build a spaceship your kerbals would feel more comfortable in while in transfer.
  7. Build a spaceplane and land it on Laythe. Take off from Laythe and get back.
  8. Send a mission to Eve... well, by that time that will be easy. The real challenge is taking off from Eve to get back home.

If none of that sounds appealing, it is possible that KSP is not the game for you, which would be a shame but not terribly unusual nor demeaning to anyone. Tastes differ.

I see what he's getting at, there still isn't an aim and once you're at a planet the next thing an experienced rocketeer does is make another rocket with enough delta-V to get to the next place... For Vanilla players this isn't very fun :/

Hopefully an objective is implemented at some point, probably in career mode.

Joey... I build my mun base. All lander have no purpose but I'm doing role-play with myself... and those lander like Command center lander, Radio tower lander, rover lander and Habitation Lander. Turn them into huge base. I has been try send battery center lander purpose to recharge... But really not important because as long base have solar panel on it. Here my picture of my base. Just give you a idea.

screenshot24_zps29f7399a.png

Right now I'm put munbase on hold and try build space station around kerbin

Download the Kethane mod if you need another goal.

Set up a fuel refinery on the surface of Minmus or Mun, with a fuel station in orbit. It will need multiple tanks, with storage for each type of fuel. And a vehicle to land, fuel up, and haul fuel back to the station.

Then use the station as a push off point for farther out exploration :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.