Platform Enigma- an off topic chat thread.

OdinYggd

Oh, so they finally have a laser turret that actually works.

Still needs more firepower, that wing needs to be sliced off instantly instead of requiring the laser to be focused on it so long.

In the time it took to inflict serious damage, a laser guided missile could lock onto the source turret and destroy it.

Oh, so they finally have a laser turret that actually works.

Still needs more firepower, that wing needs to be sliced off instantly instead of requiring the laser to be focused on it so long.

In the time it took to inflict serious damage, a laser guided missile could lock onto the source turret and destroy it.

So Odin CAN have fun...

How would the laser work to destroy that aircraft?

Laser beams result in heat in the object they strike. Applies to any intensity of laser really, with the delivered power falling off at distance to dispersion and attentuation.

If a high enough power beam is produced, it melts and vaporizes what it strikes.

Industrially lasers have been used for metal cutting for some time now, but these lasers are only effective at very close range.

A laser weapon needs to accomplish the same focused beam for rapid cutting, but it has to do it at a long enough effective range to be useful against guns and missiles.

Also the US Navy laser was developed in part with L3 Communications. I considered applying for a job with them at one point, they'd have plugged me into their think tank for these projects. Kinda glad I passed on that, I really don't want to be involved in weapons development. Though I'm perfectly okay with making propulsion and energy transfer systems for peaceful purposes.

This is the part where I pitch in and say that I'm doing research in cooling things with lasers.

Yup.

Now this type of research has my attention. Making stuff melt with lasers is easy, but I can only think of a few ways to use a laser to cool something.

Most of them involve using a pump laser to induce secondary photons from a material that is engineered to generate photons from heat. Not sure if Erbium will do that, but I am sure other elements have the same property of emitting photons of one wavelength when bombarded by photons of a different wavelength. Erbium just happens to have the right wavelengths for use in optical fiber amplifiers.