Some of my failed designs!

deskjetser

I wanted to make a post of just a few of the designs of mine that just didn't quite work, or had problems due to their untested features.

Enjoy :D(Caution, walls of text giving detailed development information!)

The I-10 A 'Black Dog'

This plane was a total annoyance throughout its making...

Specifications:

Role: High speed, high altitude interceptor

Project started: 24/05/2013

Project cancelled: 27/05/2013

Planned/Actual top speed: 2000m/s // 1700m/s

Planned/Actual service ceiling: 30000m // 26000m

Planned/Actual thrust to weight ratio: 6:1 // 6.56:1

Planned/Actual range: 300km // unknown

Description:

The Black Dog project was commissioned as response to recent leaps forward observed among the community, of high altitude fast planes (From version 0.18-0.20). The commission behind the project was KRASHinc, an old and experienced committee, and the goal was set by the committee for a prototype of what was to be known as the 'I-10' Series.

The 'I' standing for Interceptor, the '10' standing for the committees generation of aircraft, as delegated by the number of generations of aircraft the committee has developed successfully.

The actual name itself 'Black Dog', was chosen on the initial completion of the prototype. The meaning behind the name comes from the mythical beast known as, The Black Dog. The Black Dog is said to stalk it's victims under the cover of darkness. The mythical creature often said to be associated with the Devil or a Hellhound, had an appearance regarded as a portent of death and it is generally supposed to be larger than a normal dog, and often has large, glowing eyes. It is often associated with electrical storms, with places of execution and ancient pathways.

The failure of design:

The project ran into major delays on the run up to the test flight of the prototype, as the shortened engine mount made to keep the overall length down, had fuel feeding problems. The mount wasn't capable of delivering the required amount of fuel, and so the engine could only produce 1/3 of its intended thrust (There were three engines).

Upon being temporarily fixed, the project could continue into the test flight. Although when the tests were completed, the overall design was found to be unsatisfactory, and thus the project was suspended on 26/05/2013, and cancelled all together the next day.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

The AFI-9 A 'The Basilisk'

Specifications:

Role: Mult-role; attacker, fighter and low altitude interceptor

Project started: 12/03/2013

Project cancelled: 27/05/2013

Planned/Actual top speed: 500m/s // 470m/s

Planned/Actual service ceiling: 12000m // 14000m

Planned/Actual thrust to weight ratio: 2:1 // 2.15:1

Planned/Actual range: 500km // unknown

Description:

The Basilisk project was commissioned as response to the need of an updated multi-role craft to replace the aging AFI-8, which has been in service in one version or another, since July 2012. Although the craft it was meant to replace, the AFI-8 K-12 AFMPP, was reliable and tested, it was the 138th version since the first prototype in July 2012 the AFI-8 A 'Griffon'. The committee was eager to create a new design to fulfill all the previous specs, improve the outdated airframe, increase pilot survivability and if possible reduce costs to manufacture.

A key problem for the committee attached to the project, was trying to juggle all these requirements at once, which the AFI-8 wasn't even designed for, but proved it's worth in. In short, the AFI-8 was a miracle for how good it was in all areas, and somehow the committee had to do better.

The name 'AFI', standing for Attacker, Fighter, Interceptor, was basically a re-designation of the 'MR' or multi-role series. There is actually no AFI-7, because before the AFI-8, the designation was 'MR', and so the AFI-7 is actually the MR-7. The reason for the re-designation was simply because the previous designation implied that the series was good for bombing, scouting and all manner of other things. Since this was not the case the actual roles were turned into the new designation to avoid confusion, AFI. The '9' is the number in the series of aircraft, this being the 9th.

The actual name of 'Basilisk', comes from the mythical creature called the Basilisk, a beast said to kill it's enemies with a single stare. Unfortunately the naming of this craft was rather tragic, as the craft was named before even the prototype was completed. It was named after a very deadly creature, because it was expected to be an improvement over the AFI-8, and so the name sadly, was more a name for the idea of what the craft was hoped to be.

The failure of design:

The project ran smoothly for the first week, the prototype was finished, initial hopes were high and all seemed good. The problems started however, when time came for beginning the initial tests, to see if the project was on track before heading onwards at full speed. The first sign of a long road ahead, came when the craft failed miserably at the payload tests, and then on the stability tests, and then even on the basic survivability tests.

The craft could not lift the required 5 tons and maintain maneuverability, the craft could not recover from a flat spin unless piloted by veterans, and the craft was virtually unflyable on one engine.

In shock, the committee stepped back, and immediately began a program of hotfixes in attempt to rectify the problems. Although with some success, the craft still had horrible handling characteristics, and a somewhat temperamental attitude to wanting to stay airborne, even after the long hotfix program ended.

The project was finally cancelled after 2 long months of attempted revivals, and the loss of 4 brave kerbal test pilots.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Let me know if you want to see some more, any feedback comments are appreciated, and thanks for reading! :)

I quite like the writing style you're using. It reminds me of that used by a set of old collectable "Fact File" foldout pamphlets I used to have when I was much younger. I don't remember what happened to them, unfortunately...

Keep up the good work!

I quite like the writing style you're using. It reminds me of that used by a set of old collectable "Fact File" foldout pamphlets I used to have when I was much younger. I don't remember what happened to them, unfortunately...

Keep up the good work!

Funny thing is, this was rushed, and I failed English at school xD

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.