You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Ok so i decided that it would be a cool idea to put a base on the mün so i make a rocket and after about an hour and a half of building and testing i send it to the mun. after about another half hour i finally successfully drop my mün base off fly the sky crane int the surface to kill it, go back to the tracking station and fly the now landed base... and i cant control it...:huh: apparently even though i did put a core on the base it wont let me control it also i never put a docking port on it because i wasnt planning to connect anything so i guess i did go to space today but i sure didn't accomplish anything

I have started putting probe cores on my booster stages with the idea to maybe refuel them or have a better chance of deorbiting them. I have had some rather unstable payloads recently and controlled from the Booster stage.

keep forgetting to change where i control the craft when I stage the booster and see my payload go off the screen in a hurry

I wanted to do a tier 0 SSTO.

One pod, one chute one engine and the good amount of fuel can make it.

However landing is hazardous (pods on top of a very long thin rocket, sounds bad), therefore, I made landing legs out of grider segments. I launch my rocket and realize it was too heavy to make it into space (100+kg each grider !!). Alright, fine, I've got landing legs. Well, they are not of much use in water. I gently 'landed' vertically and then bounced and splashed horizontally, with the command pod destroyed.

Pods definitely have to be at the bottom of rockets.

My plan today was not to go to space but to take the PackRat out for a spin and gather data from 3 sites to the west of the KSC as per the FinePrint contract.

First attempt: Rolled the rover after taking a turn too quickly and destroyed all my science equipment.

Second attempt: Crested a hill at too high a speed, the wheels dug in and I flipped over several times before coming to a rest on my side.

Third attempt: Caught out by a dip that was shadowed due to the sun setting, flipped several times, broke all four wheels and destroyed most of my science equipment rendering the mission pointless.

Forth attempt: Was going really well, I estimate I was about 1km from my first site when everything burst into flames. EVA'd and ran away thinking it was the rover burning... It wasn't, it was Dory Kerman being toasted by a Deadly Reentry bug.

I don't know if this counts as a failure considering it got into space and got back in one piece but....

I launched my shuttle thing to deliver a part to a space station. The RCS stopped working mid-docking (tip: sometimes caps lock does things). After approx. 10 minutes of stressing, I released the payload from the pay and docked that, then EVA'ed some crew over to the station.

On deorbit, however, I ran out of fuel, spun out of control, overshot KSC by 100+km, and limped another 100ish km across an ocean to an island using the rest of my RCS fuel (I figured out the whole caps lock thing here) and somehow landed on a hill.

Tried to make a lifter and lander capable of landing and returning from EVE which led to this:

Basically made it become alive because the landing legs/girders could not handle the gravity.

Sadly rocket was doomed to begin with since I simply did not have enough fuel to get back into orbit. I had to steal nearly a full tank worth of fuel, so even with a quickload and perfect landing it got no further than about 15k~

Eve is too buggy for me. I got a Kerbal off that rock, and I'm never going back!

Well, both of my fails that are worthy did get to space. One seemed to get eaten:

SwMYUvd.png

The other was weird. It started during re-entry, so technically it went back to space today....

xv2O1BM.png

Well, my calculator tells me that is 4.3 million c..... not bad for an unassisted engineer chip!

754786053C773A291B1545E535B6DA32725497DB

One of my landings on the moon, altough high-speed meeting with the lithosphere (if that term applies to Moons) would be a better name. Upon impact, everything but the pod, a fuel tank and a nosecone became dust. Nerdof doesnt mind though...

This is what happens when a Launch Stability Enhancer gets clipped inside one of the SSMEs.... (ignore those things falling off the shuttle, they were for putting crew in the seats in the cockpit)

GbtdSmh.png

sReZ7vD.png

On the plus side, the cockpit saved the life of the test pilot.

CxkkLgB.png

I attempted an Eve lander... The landing went fine, except for the fact that I wanted to land on a mountain. Missed the mark just barely (relatively speaking) and instead landed on the flattest point on the planet at almost exactly 0 sea level... I don't think Merger Kerbman will be going into space again today! (or any time soon...)

Do I need captions? probably.

First: SPACEPLANES!

my first 0.25 spaceplane:

D676142F6693D7E03D853A2EBDDCDCE416027D3D

As you can see, I forgot the wheels.

then when it got to orbit, I forgot to bring enough fuel to get home.

79D034BFC55AE5A633E32533504FBF17C71CDE0B

I decided once that I should try someone else's designs to see why mine are so bad at flying

47FC1B7DB03A2330328E17B80D04FAFA3347D108

turns out the engineers left the handbrake off

0BFCF9852EC1597F56CE775355F4DB7A0CA3628F

so kurt had to chase it.

EE65572818E7435652590B2BE933FBC895DAFC27

all the way to here

so before this my first mun landing:

8566A53F118A88224EA1278E14B6C052EE807DBF

and in early testing of kurt's rover I downloaded:

A2AA3D5AD1B3ADD4C7AAED09A338844DDB9CDDB4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.