You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Trying to build a Verne gun - it won't work in stock atmosphere, but I imagine with FAR the idea is feasible.

Hey! That looks exactly like one of my first Krakenfire experiments!

x4 symmetry works best, a few physics-less parts help grab the acceleration from the engines, and with careful placement of launch clamps, can guide-rail the payload.

Also, its glitchy as all get out as the game engine doesn't like doing that many thrust-to calculations at once. The best launches will send the launch clamps up with you and lag the game for over a minute.

Hey! That looks exactly like one of my first Krakenfire experiments!

x4 symmetry works best, a few physics-less parts help grab the acceleration from the engines, and with careful placement of launch clamps, can guide-rail the payload.

I too have been thinking about more experiments with this sort of thing. Never got around to it.

The ideal gun would have several S3 KS-25, each spaced so that the payload, (Kerbal) passes into the zone of thrust effect at the same time a physics calculation is made, to make most effective use of each engine.

Mega cannons make for some great screenshots. But the phase-a-kerbal-through approach is more efficient

taT7mKk.png

No pic, but tried to put a satellite into LKO. Power ran out on the upper stage because the sun was directly behind and I forgot to pack batteries; when that happened I was doing the circularization burn and couldn't turn off the engine. Turns out my upper stage had plenty of delta-v, because now it's headed on an eccentric orbit that takes it between the orbits of Dres aphelion and Eve at perhelion.

1. Used the new translation gizmo to move a decoupler up so that it covers the engine like a fairing. The whole ship blew up when I staged it. I wonder if it counted it as part clipped and didn't separate properly.

2. Pointed an unmanned probe on an interplanetary transfer EXACTLY south during a inclination change. Apparently, solar panels that point exactly at the sun don't receive any light (it says, "blocked by solar panel"). SO my batteries died at EXACTLY the time I needed to perform my orbital insertion. The probe woke up a couple weeks later after traveling around the sun a bit so the angle finally hit the panels. Took more than 1000 delta-v to get back to the planet. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.